Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Startup/Registry Protection

Startup/Registry Protection

Dennis

I formatted my drive recently. I used to have a very very simple
freeware program that protected me from any programs making changes to
my "Startup" folder and the equivalent registry keys. It was extremely
simple and just made a small popup come up saying something like 'Do
you want to allow this change?' whenever some evil program tried to
register itself to launch on start up....

I'm having trouble finding it again, does anyone remember the name of
this program?

°Mike°

In message <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
Dennis took 10 lines to impart the following:

>I formatted my drive recently. I used to have a very very simple
>freeware program that protected me from any programs making changes to
>my "Startup" folder and the equivalent registry keys. It was extremely
>simple and just made a small popup come up saying something like 'Do
>you want to allow this change?' whenever some evil program tried to
>register itself to launch on start up....
>
>I'm having trouble finding it again, does anyone remember the name of
>this program?

WinPatrol
http://www.winpatrol.com/
--
I could finally make ends meet, but then somebody moved the ends.

Respondant

°Mike° wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> Dennis took 10 lines to impart the following:
>
>> I formatted my drive recently. I used to have a very very simple
>> freeware program that protected me from any programs making changes
>> to my "Startup" folder and the equivalent registry keys. It was
>> extremely simple and just made a small popup come up saying
>> something like 'Do you want to allow this change?' whenever some
>> evil program tried to register itself to launch on start up....
>>
>> I'm having trouble finding it again, does anyone remember the name of
>> this program?

> WinPatrol
> http://www.winpatrol.com/

Never used winpatrol, but what the OP is describing sounds an awful lot like
TeaTimer, which is a resident tool in Spybot S&D. If so, and the OP has it
deactivated, it can be switched back on by opening S&D > Mode > Advanced >
Tools > Resident > tick the TeaTimer box.

dadiOH

Dennis wrote:
> I formatted my drive recently. I used to have a very very simple
> freeware program that protected me from any programs making changes to
> my "Startup" folder and the equivalent registry keys. It was extremely
> simple and just made a small popup come up saying something like 'Do
> you want to allow this change?' whenever some evil program tried to
> register itself to launch on start up....
>
> I'm having trouble finding it again, does anyone remember the name of
> this program?

Startup Monitor is one such...
http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml
Freeware
StartupMonitor is a small utility that runs transparently (it doesn't even
use a tray icon) and notifies you when any program registers itself to run
at system startup. It prevents those utterly useless tray applications from
registering themselves behind your back, and it acts as a security tool
against trojans like BackOrifice or Netbus

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

°Mike°

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Respondant took 24 lines to impart the following:

>°Mike° wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
>> Dennis took 10 lines to impart the following:
>>
>>> I formatted my drive recently. I used to have a very very simple
>>> freeware program that protected me from any programs making changes
>>> to my "Startup" folder and the equivalent registry keys. It was
>>> extremely simple and just made a small popup come up saying
>>> something like 'Do you want to allow this change?' whenever some
>>> evil program tried to register itself to launch on start up....
>>>
>>> I'm having trouble finding it again, does anyone remember the name of
>>> this program?

>> WinPatrol
>> http://www.winpatrol.com/

>Never used winpatrol, but what the OP is describing sounds an awful lot like
>TeaTimer, which is a resident tool in Spybot S&D. If so, and the OP has it
>deactivated, it can be switched back on by opening S&D > Mode > Advanced >
>Tools > Resident > tick the TeaTimer box.

WinPatrol is free, small and far better than (the once glitchy)
TeaTimer.
--
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don't know what your rights are, or who the person is you're talking to. Then on the way out, slam the door!

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Dennis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>I formatted my drive recently. I used to have a very very simple
|>freeware program that protected me from any programs making changes to
|>my "Startup" folder and the equivalent registry keys. It was extremely
|>simple and just made a small popup come up saying something like 'Do
|>you want to allow this change?' whenever some evil program tried to
|>register itself to launch on start up....
|>
|>I'm having trouble finding it again, does anyone remember the name of
|>this program?

Spybot does this http://www.safer-networking.org/ - there is a
secondary program it can load (Option) called teatimer, that does just
what you describe.
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/33.html

--
http://www.realboring.com/floating-magnet/

joevan

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 06:32:48 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> "Dennis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>|>I formatted my drive recently. I used to have a very very simple
>|>freeware program that protected me from any programs making changes to
>|>my "Startup" folder and the equivalent registry keys. It was extremely
>|>simple and just made a small popup come up saying something like 'Do
>|>you want to allow this change?' whenever some evil program tried to
>|>register itself to launch on start up....
>|>
>|>I'm having trouble finding it again, does anyone remember the name of
>|>this program?
>
>Spybot does this http://www.safer-networking.org/ - there is a
>secondary program it can load (Option) called teatimer, that does just
>what you describe.
>http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/33.html

How about WinPatrol. That little Scottie is cute too.
http://www.winpatrol.com/
and for the same reason."

Dennis

dadiOH wrote:

> Startup Monitor is one such...
> http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml
> Freeware
> StartupMonitor is a small utility that runs transparently (it doesn't even
> use a tray icon) and notifies you when any program registers itself to run
> at system startup. It prevents those utterly useless tray applications from
> registering themselves behind your back, and it acts as a security tool
> against trojans like BackOrifice or Netbus

To follow up my own thread: Thats the one!!! Startup Monitor.. You win
the prize DadiOH! Thx

PS: Two thumbs for this program... The thing is only 60k (very small)
and it works brilliantly.... It has protected me sooo many times from
other scummy programs and even well known programs that you wouldnt
think are scummy... This is something most AntiVirus / AntiSpyware
programs miss. Highly recommended.