Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hard drive noises (again)

Hard drive noises (again)

bhd

Hi all,

it's probably academic, but can anyone tell how my hard-drive is failing
from the sound it makes? The last two times it's booted up, it's failed
halfway through the process, with the drive (Seagate ST380011A) making a
repetitive 'brrrrrrrrrrrr clunk' noise. Restarting worked OK.

I've looked at the websites with wavs of disk failures, defragged, and run
the Seagate diagnostic routine, which found no physical issues with any of
the disk in the system, so my next move is to backup and maybe try a
windowsXP repair, in case it's a software issue.

I'm getting no errors in normal operation, but obviously I'm not going to
shut it down until the backups are done.

Any ideas?

bhd.

Harvie Wahl-Banghor

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 09:20:24 +0100, bhd wrote the following mundane shiat:

> Hi all,
>
> it's probably academic, but can anyone tell how my hard-drive is failing
> from the sound it makes? The last two times it's booted up, it's failed
> halfway through the process, with the drive (Seagate ST380011A) making a
> repetitive 'brrrrrrrrrrrr clunk' noise. Restarting worked OK.
>
> I've looked at the websites with wavs of disk failures, defragged, and run
> the Seagate diagnostic routine, which found no physical issues with any of
> the disk in the system, so my next move is to backup and maybe try a
> windowsXP repair, in case it's a software issue.
>
> I'm getting no errors in normal operation, but obviously I'm not going to
> shut it down until the backups are done.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> bhd.

Your drive is probably ready to go tits up despite what their diag
software tells you. Get a new drive pronto before this one dies with all
your data on it.

Deano

"Harvie Wahl-Banghor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed).. .

> Your drive is probably ready to go tits up despite what their diag
> software tells you. Get a new drive pronto before this one dies with all
> your data on it.

I second that. Backup everything up NOW and replace the drive.

Walter Mautner

bhd wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> it's probably academic, but can anyone tell how my hard-drive is failing
> from the sound it makes? The last two times it's booted up, it's
> failed halfway through the process, with the drive (Seagate ST380011A)
> making a
> repetitive 'brrrrrrrrrrrr clunk' noise. Restarting worked OK.

Sounds like trying to recalibrate but hit physical border instead of finding
a reference sector.
How warm does your harddrive get?

> I've looked at the websites with wavs of disk failures, defragged, and run
> the Seagate diagnostic routine, which found no physical issues with any of
> the disk in the system, so my next move is to backup and maybe try a
> windowsXP repair, in case it's a software issue.

Do not stress your harddrive through testing, until you made a linear-move
backup using a 2nd drive and imaging tool (winpe, linux livecd, ghost boot
floppy), or at least have saved your important data.
Make sure your harddrive stays cool. It is unwise to stack two drives with
no space in between.

> I'm getting no errors in normal operation, but obviously I'm not going to
> shut it down until the backups are done.

Afterwards, use a linux/knoppix live cd, become root and "smartctl" (--help
first) to find out more. For windows, there are some free/time limited hd
diagnosis programs as well that read out s.m.a.r.t info, you may google for
them.

philo

"bhd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> it's probably academic, but can anyone tell how my hard-drive is failing
> from the sound it makes? The last two times it's booted up, it's
> failed halfway through the process, with the drive (Seagate ST380011A)
> making a repetitive 'brrrrrrrrrrrr clunk' noise. Restarting worked OK.
>
> I've looked at the websites with wavs of disk failures, defragged, and run
> the Seagate diagnostic routine, which found no physical issues with any of
> the disk in the system, so my next move is to backup and maybe try a
> windowsXP repair, in case it's a software issue.
>
> I'm getting no errors in normal operation, but obviously I'm not going to
> shut it down until the backups are done.

Back it up and replace it...
It's going to totally fail quite soon.

Meat Plow

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 09:20:24 +0100, bhd wrote:

> ubject: Hard drive noises (again)
> From: "bhd" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
> Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 09:20:24 +0100
>
> Hi all,
>
> it's probably academic, but can anyone tell how my hard-drive is failing
> from the sound it makes? The last two times it's booted up, it's
> failed halfway through the process, with the drive (Seagate ST380011A)
> making a repetitive 'brrrrrrrrrrrr clunk' noise. Restarting worked OK.

Who the **** cares? Replace it and migrate your operating system and
applications to a new drive before the ****er takes its fina lshit.

bhd

"Walter Mautner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> bhd wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> it's probably academic, but can anyone tell how my hard-drive is failing
>> from the sound it makes?

> How warm does your harddrive get?

er, um, not clue. The case is well-ventilated and it's not being
overstressed, but who knows.

> Do not stress your harddrive through testing, until you made a linear-move
> backup using a 2nd drive and imaging tool (winpe, linux livecd, ghost boot
> floppy), or at least have saved your important data.

My plans exactly.

> Afterwards, use a linux/knoppix live cd, become root and "smartctl"
> (--help
> first) to find out more. For windows, there are some free/time limited hd
> diagnosis programs as well that read out s.m.a.r.t info, you may google
> for
> them.

A-Googling I go - thanks.

bhd.

Meat Plow

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 14:20:03 +0100, bhd wrote:

> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
>> On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 09:20:24 +0100, bhd wrote:
>>

>> Who the **** cares? Replace it and migrate your operating system and
>> applications to a new drive before the ****er takes its fina lshit.
>>
>> --

> Well me, or I wouldn't have asked )
>
> bhd.

Acronis Migrate Easy - 15 day trial, free download. Use it to migrate your
operating system, data and applications to a new drive before the old
drive fails while you chat with these retards about how warm it
gets.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...d/migrateeasy/

burris

Meat Plow wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 09:20:24 +0100, bhd wrote:
>
>> ubject: Hard drive noises (again)
>> From: "bhd" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>> Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 09:20:24 +0100
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> it's probably academic, but can anyone tell how my hard-drive is failing
>> from the sound it makes? The last two times it's booted up, it's
>> failed halfway through the process, with the drive (Seagate ST380011A)
>> making a repetitive 'brrrrrrrrrrrr clunk' noise. Restarting worked OK.

> Who the **** cares? Replace it and migrate your operating system and
> applications to a new drive before the ****er takes its fina lshit.

Wow! Who said this NG didn't have class?

frances martin

if you hear noises in your computer and if it is your harddrive the best
thing to do is buy a new one they dont
really cost much it depends on the GB you choose