Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to hook two computers together

How to hook two computers together

dah_dah

How do I hook up my wife's computer to mine so she can use my Internet
connection?

Meat Plow

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 14:15:54 +0000, dah_dah wrote:

> How do I hook up my wife's computer to mine so she can use my Internet
> connection?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...g/default.mspx

why?

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 14:15:54 GMT, dah_dah wrote:

>How do I hook up my wife's computer to mine so she can use my Internet
>connection?

Depending on your current connection / ISP what hardware you already
have, a router is the most common solution.

Learn to search past posts in 24HSHD as well, there are lots of posts
with lists of URL's for home networking.

Here are a few bookmarked,

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
http://www.wown.com/
http://www.firewall.cx/
http://www.homepcnetwork.com/ (needs JavaScript enabled for homepage)
http://www.homenethelp.com/

ICS, or another connection sharing program.

Typical setups, one example
http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/diagrams.html

From some older posts , searching

A Mike post -
Step by Step: Networking for Dummies
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guide.htm

DIY home networking guides and tutorials
http://www.homenethelp.com/

WLAN Wireless Networking
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wlan.htm

Home and Small Office Networking with Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/homenetworking/

How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 1)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813936

http://www.wown.com/
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

From a why? post -
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups...tutorial&as_ug...
or shorter
http://makeashorterlink.com/?D1872344B

or ripped from several previous posts -

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

See Index for ICS, check the step-by-step articles maybe?
http://www.wown.com/

maybe here as well
http://www.firewall.cx/

http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/guide.htm

http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/common/

One of the sites mentioned in other posts,
http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/dia...rt-router.html

Me

Melv

Using windows xp I'd go for a router. I find xp not nearly as user friendly
as win95/98 for any networking. One day it works fine the next nothing, had
this on a fair few xp comps now, problems I did not see on 95/98
Melv
"dah_dah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> How do I hook up my wife's computer to mine so she can use my Internet
> connection?

Mike Easter

dah_dah wrote:
> How do I hook up my wife's computer to mine so she can use my Internet
> connection?

Where we will presume your connectivity to be via DSL because of your
nntp IP's rDNS.

But, we can't presume to know whether you are ethernet or USB to your
DSL modem or how your or your wife's computer is hardwared, ie does
everything have ethernet? - modem and both computers?

I'll assume yes to take the easy way out for an inadequately posed
question.

Get a switchrouter type NAT device so that you have a little
ethernetwork of computers to router/NAT to modem. There are a lot of
sites which show tutorials for networking and sharing a connection.

--
Mike Easter

dah_dah

Thanks to everyone who replied to my e-mail, especially "Meat Plow". That
Microsoft link just takes you by the hand and walks you through the options.

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
> On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 14:15:54 +0000, dah_dah wrote:
>
>> How do I hook up my wife's computer to mine so she can use my Internet
>> connection?

> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...g/default.mspx

Plato

dah_dah wrote:

> How do I hook up my wife's computer to mine so she can use my Internet
> connection?

Hook them both up to a router.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/