Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > network printing problem

network printing problem

whitzombi

My network consists of a laptop running win98 second edition and a
desktop running XP. Its a wireless network sharing a printer. The
network connection is active for a few minutes and the printer works
fine and then the laptop dissappears from My Network Places and I cant
use the printer. The connection comes and goes, but the router shows
that the wireless connection is still active. Any ideas what could be
causing this problem?
--
Who needs a signature!!
Windows XP Professional

Walter Mautner

whitzombi wrote:

> My network consists of a laptop running win98 second edition and a
> desktop running XP. Its a wireless network sharing a printer. The
> network connection is active for a few minutes and the printer works
> fine and then the laptop dissappears from My Network Places and I cant
> use the printer. The connection comes and goes, but the router shows
> that the wireless connection is still active. Any ideas what could be
> causing this problem?

Try a continuous ping from a commandline, to the laptop.
It is "ping -n 10000" or maybe "-c" in windows, plus the target ip address.
Try to tinker with energy settings of your NIC driver in win98, maybe you
checked some option (or it even is default) to turn off nic when idle.
> --
> Who needs a signature!!

Only one who doesn't have a "newsreader" which cuts off the space at the end
of the sig delimiter. And whose sig is not longer than 4 lines.

whitzombi

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 10:18:03 +0200, Walter Mautner
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>whitzombi wrote:
>
>> My network consists of a laptop running win98 second edition and a
>> desktop running XP. Its a wireless network sharing a printer. The
>> network connection is active for a few minutes and the printer works
>> fine and then the laptop dissappears from My Network Places and I cant
>> use the printer. The connection comes and goes, but the router shows
>> that the wireless connection is still active. Any ideas what could be
>> causing this problem?

>Try a continuous ping from a commandline, to the laptop.
>It is "ping -n 10000" or maybe "-c" in windows, plus the target ip address.
>Try to tinker with energy settings of your NIC driver in win98, maybe you
>checked some option (or it even is default) to turn off nic when idle.
>> --
>> Who needs a signature!!

>Only one who doesn't have a "newsreader" which cuts off the space at the end
>of the sig delimiter. And whose sig is not longer than 4 lines.

I really dont understand what you mean. Can you maybe explain it in a
different way. You are saying something is wrong with my signature,
but i really dont see a difference between yours and mine. Thanks for
pointing it out though.
--

whitzombi wrote:
>>> --
>>> Who needs a signature!!

>>Only one who doesn't have a "newsreader" which cuts off the space at the
>>end of the sig delimiter. And whose sig is not longer than 4 lines.

> I really dont understand what you mean. Can you maybe explain it in a
> different way. You are saying something is wrong with my signature,
> but i really dont see a difference between yours and mine. Thanks for
> pointing it out though.

Well, you are using Outlook Express (AKA "Outbug Excuse") which does not
use a standard signature delimiter ("-- ", two dashes and a whitespace) as
defined by default. Instead, the program clipps off whitespaces at the end
of a line, even there. That's why another newsreader cannot separate that
signature upon next reply, and your signature is going to be quoted over
and over.
There is a program "quotefix" available to work around that and other bugs,
you may want to google for that.
Another thing, a standard signature should be no longer then 4 lines of
text. You can safely join two lines in your signature - but that complaint
was just "because I already was ranting".
More honestly, the "who needs a signature" triggered my ranting
Now, did you find some hint for your network interruption problem?
> --
> Who needs a signature!!
> Windows XP Professional
> Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
> Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20GHz
> 3.50 GB of RAM

Dan Evans

"whitzombi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I really dont understand what you mean. Can you maybe explain it in a
> different way. You are saying something is wrong with my signature,

It has a line too many - I'll not say anything about the content though (or
my sig, which isn't added by me)

Dan

Duane Arnold

"whitzombi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My network consists of a laptop running win98 second edition and a
> desktop running XP. Its a wireless network sharing a printer. The
> network connection is active for a few minutes and the printer works
> fine and then the laptop dissappears from My Network Places and I cant
> use the printer. The connection comes and goes, but the router shows
> that the wireless connection is still active. Any ideas what could be
> causing this problem?

You can buy a wire print server and plug it into a LAN port on the router.
You then plug the printer into the print server both the wire and wireless
machines can use the print server and the desktop doesn't have to be on for
the laptop to print.

Print servers are cheap now of days.

Duane