Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP Pro SP2 Boots from D: I want C:

XP Pro SP2 Boots from D: I want C:

Shipping Boxes, Ed Lewis

I don't have a clue how it happened but when I loaded XP Pro w/SP2, my
system now boots from D: I want it to be the conventional C: boot.

Can I make that happen without a totally fresh re-load of XP and my
programs?

Along those same lines, can I clone or copy my entire
drive to a larger drive and will the new drive work with XP without
having to go back to Microsoft and activate it? I have a non-internet
connected computer that is a pain to bring into work to connect up
to the internet to do the Microsoft activation thing but I need a
larger drive.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

ED http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

mdp

Shipping Boxes, Ed Lewis wrote:
> I don't have a clue how it happened but when I loaded XP Pro w/SP2, my
> system now boots from D: I want it to be the conventional C: boot.
>
> Can I make that happen without a totally fresh re-load of XP and my
> programs?
>
> Along those same lines, can I clone or copy my entire
> drive to a larger drive and will the new drive work with XP without
> having to go back to Microsoft and activate it? I have a non-internet
> connected computer that is a pain to bring into work to connect up
> to the internet to do the Microsoft activation thing but I need a
> larger drive.
>
> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
>
> ED (E-Mail Removed)

You can clone your drive without having to reactivate. Two popular
applications are Norton Ghost and Acronis TrueImage. I like and use them
both. Make sure you don't move any other devices around on the IDE
connections other than adding the new HD, cloning it, then replacing the old
drive. Moving devices around may cause Windows to think it's a different
computer forcing a reactivation. If you want to add some 'margin', reset
the Volume Serial Number (VSN) of the new drive (C: partition if you have
more than one partition) to be the same as the old drive. More can be found
here:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

Meat Plow

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 02:52:18 +0000, mdp wrote:

> You can clone your drive without having to reactivate. Two popular
> applications are Norton Ghost and Acronis TrueImage

If the OP actually had to clone, Acronis Migrate Easy is a free for 30
days download.

Bill Hanna

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 19:18:38 -0600, While running hot, "Shipping Boxes,
Ed Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
..
>I don't have a clue how it happened but when I loaded XP Pro w/SP2, my
>system now boots from D: I want it to be the conventional C: boot.
>
>Can I make that happen without a totally fresh re-load of XP and my
>programs?
>
>Along those same lines, can I clone or copy my entire
>drive to a larger drive and will the new drive work with XP without
>having to go back to Microsoft and activate it? I have a non-internet
>connected computer that is a pain to bring into work to connect up
>to the internet to do the Microsoft activation thing but I need a
>larger drive.

If need be..... You can activate via a voice phone call. They will give
you a long (around 50 numerals)..
--
Bill

To sleep- perchance to dream of puppies.

-- WT Hanna ---

Ron Martell

"Shipping Boxes, Ed Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I don't have a clue how it happened but when I loaded XP Pro w/SP2, my
>system now boots from D: I want it to be the conventional C: boot.
>
>Can I make that happen without a totally fresh re-load of XP and my
>programs?

No. There are too many registry entries, shortcuts etc. that are
hard-coded to drive D: at this point.

>Along those same lines, can I clone or copy my entire
>drive to a larger drive and will the new drive work with XP without
>having to go back to Microsoft and activate it? I have a non-internet
>connected computer that is a pain to bring into work to connect up
>to the internet to do the Microsoft activation thing but I need a
>larger drive.

You can, but it may not work.

One of the 10 items monitored by Activation is the volume serial
number of the hard drive. If you have made other changes to any of
the monitored hardware items (RAM quantity, video card, network card,
etc) then the change in the volume serial number may be enough to
trigger the requirement to reactivate.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Barry OGrady

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 19:18:38 -0600, "Shipping Boxes, Ed Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I don't have a clue how it happened but when I loaded XP Pro w/SP2, my
>system now boots from D: I want it to be the conventional C: boot.
>
>Can I make that happen without a totally fresh re-load of XP and my
>programs?

No. You can change the drive letter in the registry but it won't boot.

>Along those same lines, can I clone or copy my entire
>drive to a larger drive and will the new drive work with XP without
>having to go back to Microsoft and activate it? I have a non-internet
>connected computer that is a pain to bring into work to connect up
>to the internet to do the Microsoft activation thing but I need a
>larger drive.
>
>Any help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
>
>ED (E-Mail Removed)

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

Maurice

If you already had the drive partitioned you should first boot up from C:
and then close down before installing again. The existing OS will remember
the partition it closed down on (D?) and default to that again.

Don't try changing the boot-partition idents in Disk Management.that can
wreak havoc on all the other partition idents. I've been that route!!
--
Maurice

news:(E-Mail Removed)...