Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP Pro license problem

XP Pro license problem

DaveH

I have a copy of XP Pro and a legitimate license. However, it transpires
that my company purchased a number of (unused) licenses for the 64 bit
version and my laptop is not compatible. I was told that MS will hapily
exchange the 64 bit key for a regular key.

How do I go about contacting them for this info? The website is confusing to
say the least.

Thanks.

Ghostrider

DaveH wrote:

> I have a copy of XP Pro and a legitimate license. However, it transpires
> that my company purchased a number of (unused) licenses for the 64 bit
> version and my laptop is not compatible. I was told that MS will hapily
> exchange the 64 bit key for a regular key.
>
> How do I go about contacting them for this info? The website is confusing to
> say the least.
>
> Thanks.

Let's back up for a second. What type of Windows XP Pro
license do your current have, e.g., OEM, retail, 64-bit,
Volume, etc.? Who is the owner of the license, i.e., who
actually bought and paid for it? And from whom was the
license purchased?

ZB

"Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> DaveH wrote:
>
>> I have a copy of XP Pro and a legitimate license. However, it transpires
>> that my company purchased a number of (unused) licenses for the 64 bit
>> version and my laptop is not compatible. I was told that MS will hapily
>> exchange the 64 bit key for a regular key.
>>
>> How do I go about contacting them for this info? The website is confusing
>> to say the least.
>>
>> Thanks.

> Let's back up for a second. What type of Windows XP Pro
> license do your current have, e.g., OEM, retail, 64-bit,
> Volume, etc.? Who is the owner of the license, i.e., who
> actually bought and paid for it? And from whom was the
> license purchased?

OK. I don't have a copy of XP Pro, I have an OEM version of Media Center
which has been unstable. So I am doing some stuff for this company and I
asked them for a copy of XP Pro. They had a copy of XP Pro but 10 unused
license keys for 64-bit version (purchased from MS, they are a registered
partner), so they asked me to contact MS on their behalf and get the license
exchanged, they said they have done it before.

Rob K

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 12:48:30 -0700, DaveH wrote:

> I have a copy of XP Pro and a legitimate license. However, it transpires
> that my company purchased a number of (unused) licenses for the 64 bit
> version and my laptop is not compatible. I was told that MS will hapily
> exchange the 64 bit key for a regular key.

You can either:
1) go trough your company, sysadmin or whoever ...
or
2) contact Microsoft by phone.

Good luck.

Vanguard

"ZB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> OK. I don't have a copy of XP Pro, I have an OEM version of Media
> Center which has been unstable. So I am doing some stuff for this
> company and I asked them for a copy of XP Pro. They had a copy of XP
> Pro but 10 unused license keys for 64-bit version (purchased from MS,
> they are a registered partner), so they asked me to contact MS on
> their behalf and get the license exchanged, they said they have done
> it before.

They are not allowed to slice off any licenses (instances) of their
volume purchase to anyone outside their company. All licenses in a
volume purchase are to be distributed within the organization that
purchased the volume license package. They are not allowed to "give"
you a copy. What you want is a "Corporate Edition" copy of Windows, and
that is an illegal copy. If they are so giving as to provide you with a
version of Windows that you cannot afford to buy then have them "give"
you a donation or bonus so you can go buy your own license.

richard

"DaveH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a copy of XP Pro and a legitimate license. However, it transpires
>that my company purchased a number of (unused) licenses for the 64 bit
>version and my laptop is not compatible. I was told that MS will hapily
>exchange the 64 bit key for a regular key.
>
> How do I go about contacting them for this info? The website is confusing
> to say the least.
>
> Thanks.

Try the windowsxp newsgroup and post a request for info.
A few reps from MS monitor the group and may be able to help you better.

DaveH

"Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "ZB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> OK. I don't have a copy of XP Pro, I have an OEM version of Media Center
>> which has been unstable. So I am doing some stuff for this company and I
>> asked them for a copy of XP Pro. They had a copy of XP Pro but 10 unused
>> license keys for 64-bit version (purchased from MS, they are a registered
>> partner), so they asked me to contact MS on their behalf and get the
>> license exchanged, they said they have done it before.

> They are not allowed to slice off any licenses (instances) of their volume
> purchase to anyone outside their company. All licenses in a volume
> purchase are to be distributed within the organization that purchased the
> volume license package. They are not allowed to "give" you a copy. What
> you want is a "Corporate Edition" copy of Windows, and that is an illegal
> copy. If they are so giving as to provide you with a version of Windows
> that you cannot afford to buy then have them "give" you a donation or
> bonus so you can go buy your own license.

OK, thanks. So if I do actually work for the company, is it possible to
contact MS for a license exchange from 64-bit to 32-bit XP Pro?

DaveH

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "DaveH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a copy of XP Pro and a legitimate license. However, it transpires
>>that my company purchased a number of (unused) licenses for the 64 bit
>>version and my laptop is not compatible. I was told that MS will hapily
>>exchange the 64 bit key for a regular key.
>>
>> How do I go about contacting them for this info? The website is confusing
>> to say the least.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Try the windowsxp newsgroup and post a request for info.
> A few reps from MS monitor the group and may be able to help you better.

thanks

Vanguard

"DaveH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "ZB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> OK. I don't have a copy of XP Pro, I have an OEM version of Media
>>> Center which has been unstable. So I am doing some stuff for this
>>> company and I asked them for a copy of XP Pro. They had a copy of XP
>>> Pro but 10 unused license keys for 64-bit version (purchased from
>>> MS, they are a registered partner), so they asked me to contact MS
>>> on their behalf and get the license exchanged, they said they have
>>> done it before.

>> They are not allowed to slice off any licenses (instances) of their
>> volume purchase to anyone outside their company. All licenses in a
>> volume purchase are to be distributed within the organization that
>> purchased the volume license package. They are not allowed to "give"
>> you a copy. What you want is a "Corporate Edition" copy of Windows,
>> and that is an illegal copy. If they are so giving as to provide you
>> with a version of Windows that you cannot afford to buy then have
>> them "give" you a donation or bonus so you can go buy your own
>> license.

> OK, thanks. So if I do actually work for the company, is it possible
> to contact MS for a license exchange from 64-bit to 32-bit XP Pro?

I guess Microsoft could answer that but the company will have to call
since you probably don't qualify as a contracted worker to be their
representative. Their volume license would be for a specific version.
If you go to their volume licensing at
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/default.mspx, there are some articles
linked there, like
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...rade_chart.doc,
that discuss downgrading to prior versions of the licensed software, so
the company could buy a volume license and use that licensing to qualify
for running prior versions; however, that still doesn't allow them to
let licenses go "wandering off" outside the company.

How are you going to get that prior version that would be covered by the
downgrade provision of their volume license? The company that has the
volume license could call Microsoft to see if they can get a CD for the
prior version (there will probably be some shipping & handling costs)
but I doubt they will be allowed to "distribute" any licenses outside of
their company. The licenses, whether at the version specified in the
volume license or a downgrade, still must remain within the organization
that purchased it. For the volume purchase, they are providing the
discount to one entity, not to the entire world. They can temporarily
provide you with a company while you are contracted with them but once
the contract is up then it has to go back to them. Are you willing to
lose Windows XP Pro when the contract is up and maybe have the company
wipe your hard drive? Also, presumably the laptop is your property but
you want their property to be temporarily installed on your laptop. A
company doesn't like that liability (because they only have rights to
the software and not the hardware) so they would provide both the laptop
and the operating system and any other software that you need during
your stint with them. At
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...e_transfer.doc,
it says transfer conditions vary by license version and your company
knows what volume license they have. It also does mention that some of
the licenses can be transferred without having to transfer them all, but
it also appears there needs to be some paperwork from your company
showing that they transferred a license to you (so you have something to
prove to Microsoft that you got a legitimately transferred license).

If you are a contractor/consultant, you aren't working for the company.
You are not THEIR employee. You are an employee of the contracting
company even if you self-contract. You aren't on their payroll. You
send them a bill for your time. That means you are not the organization
into which the volume licenses can be distributed, but the company may
be allowed to transfer some of the licenses. They could also provide
you a loaned laptop with Windows on it but after your contract is up
then it stays with the company. If they are willing to give you a
license for Windows XP, or provide you with any other tools to complete
your job with them which you are allowed to keep, get them to agree to
reimburse you for the purchase (i.e., expense it).