Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Router problem.

Router problem.

Goiter bad neck

HI,
Running win xp sp2.
Just aquired a bt voyager 2500v router.
Isp is BTbroadband.
It works fine using the supplied usb cable.
However using the supplied ethernet cable the router dissapears from device
manager meaning i cant connect to the net or even access the router config
manager.
But the control panel on the router shows the cable has been plugged in.
I have tried two different cables.
Anyone got any ideas , maybe incorrect setting somewhere.
Cheers for reading.

old man

Your ethernet device is enabled?
The ethernet drivers are installed?

"Goiter bad neck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> HI,
> Running win xp sp2.
> Just aquired a bt voyager 2500v router.
> Isp is BTbroadband.
> It works fine using the supplied usb cable.
> However using the supplied ethernet cable the router dissapears from

device
> manager meaning i cant connect to the net or even access the router config
> manager.
> But the control panel on the router shows the cable has been plugged in.
> I have tried two different cables.
> Anyone got any ideas , maybe incorrect setting somewhere.
> Cheers for reading.

mike

All routers like this have the same SW in them.

You either manage it through the USB, or through the Ethernet.
Connect only one.
USB management: most are 'windoze only'.... change vendor!
All: web based management via the Ethernet.

disconnect the USB

Reset computer and modem.
Reset modem to factory defaults.

Connect modem to power and network.
Connectg modem to your computer via Ethernet (nothing in USB, don't touch
USB!).

Check you manual for the router default address on the LAN side, and
browse to the management interface.
Done.

I have a couple of these too..............

Mike

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 22:23:03 +0100, Goiter bad neck wrote:

> HI,
> Running win xp sp2.
> Just aquired a bt voyager 2500v router. Isp is BTbroadband.
> It works fine using the supplied usb cable. However using the supplied
> ethernet cable the router dissapears from device manager meaning i cant
> connect to the net or even access the router config manager.
> But the control panel on the router shows the cable has been plugged in. I
> have tried two different cables.
> Anyone got any ideas , maybe incorrect setting somewhere. Cheers for
> reading.

-----------------
-----------------

Duane Arnold

"Goiter bad neck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> HI,
> Running win xp sp2.
> Just aquired a bt voyager 2500v router.
> Isp is BTbroadband.
> It works fine using the supplied usb cable.
> However using the supplied ethernet cable the router dissapears from
> device manager meaning i cant connect to the net or even access the router
> config manager.
> But the control panel on the router shows the cable has been plugged in.
> I have tried two different cables.
> Anyone got any ideas , maybe incorrect setting somewhere.

Did you call the router's Tech Support? That's where you should go to get
help at this point.

Maybe, the router is defective out of the box. Those things do happen you
know.

If the router can be flashed with the latest version of the firmware, that
sometimes fixes the router that has sick firmware out of the box that can
lead to a router not working properly.

Duane

Duane

MSB

"Duane Arnold" <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> wrote in message
news:5Y5hg.1977$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...

> "Goiter bad neck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> HI,
>> Running win xp sp2.
>> Just aquired a bt voyager 2500v router.
>> Isp is BTbroadband.
>> It works fine using the supplied usb cable.
>> However using the supplied ethernet cable the router dissapears from
>> device manager meaning i cant connect to the net or even access the
>> router config manager.
>> But the control panel on the router shows the cable has been plugged in.
>> I have tried two different cables.
>> Anyone got any ideas , maybe incorrect setting somewhere.

> Did you call the router's Tech Support? That's where you should go to get
> help at this point.
>
> Maybe, the router is defective out of the box. Those things do happen you
> know.
>
> If the router can be flashed with the latest version of the firmware, that
> sometimes fixes the router that has sick firmware out of the box that can
> lead to a router not working properly.
>
> Duane
>
> Duane

Couldn't this be resolved with TCP IP or maybe update NIC drivers

Walter Mautner

Goiter bad neck wrote:

> HI,
> Running win xp sp2.
> Just aquired a bt voyager 2500v router.
> Isp is BTbroadband.
> It works fine using the supplied usb cable.
> However using the supplied ethernet cable the router dissapears from
> device manager meaning i cant connect to the net or even access the router
> config manager.

Your computer just sees the ethernet connection, and does not (need to) know
about that router, except that the ethernet connection needs to become the
default route now.
Disable other (virtual) network interfaces from control panel - network
connections, and have a look at the "status" button - it should list a ip
address in the 192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z range, NOT one beginning with
196.254 as this would indicate your router does not do dhcp.
Come back with the output of "ipconfig /all" copied and pasted from
a "command line".

Duane Arnold

"MSB" <al;dsfj@al;sjdflkas.com> wrote in message
news:5ba93$4485127f$471e98c2$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Duane Arnold" <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> wrote in message
> news:5Y5hg.1977$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
>>
>> "Goiter bad neck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> HI,
>>> Running win xp sp2.
>>> Just aquired a bt voyager 2500v router.
>>> Isp is BTbroadband.
>>> It works fine using the supplied usb cable.
>>> However using the supplied ethernet cable the router dissapears from
>>> device manager meaning i cant connect to the net or even access the
>>> router config manager.
>>> But the control panel on the router shows the cable has been plugged in.
>>> I have tried two different cables.
>>> Anyone got any ideas , maybe incorrect setting somewhere.

>> Did you call the router's Tech Support? That's where you should go to get
>> help at this point.
>>
>> Maybe, the router is defective out of the box. Those things do happen you
>> know.
>>
>> If the router can be flashed with the latest version of the firmware,
>> that sometimes fixes the router that has sick firmware out of the box
>> that can lead to a router not working properly.
>>
>> Duane
>>
>> Duane
>>

> Couldn't this be resolved with TCP IP or maybe update NIC drivers

It's possible. I had a recent problem with the desktop at work where it
wouldn't stay connected to the network. It was due to the network cable RJ45
plug that seemed to be going bad. Then they give me a Linksys hub for the
two computers I was working with and the hub seemed to not work and
connections were being dropped. They replaced the hub and I had no more
problems.

So, it can be a few things. The OP could try replacing the NIC in the
computer and see if the problem follows. If it does, then he would know it's
not the NIC and cable if using a new cable too.

That would leave the router. The machine when it drops the connection, the
OP can use IPconfig at the Command Prompt. If the IP starts with 169, then
the O/S couldn't get an IP from the DHCP server and timed out. The 169 IP
will not allow the machine to access the router on its device IP or access
then Internet, since the NIC doesn't have an IP from the router.

The OP can use IPconfig /release and IPconfig /renew to see if the machine
can get and IP from the DHCP server on the router.

Duane

Duane Arnold

"Walter Mautner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Goiter bad neck wrote:
>
>> HI,
>> Running win xp sp2.
>> Just aquired a bt voyager 2500v router.
>> Isp is BTbroadband.
>> It works fine using the supplied usb cable.
>> However using the supplied ethernet cable the router dissapears from
>> device manager meaning i cant connect to the net or even access the
>> router
>> config manager.

> Your computer just sees the ethernet connection, and does not (need to)
> know
> about that router, except that the ethernet connection needs to become the
> default route now.
> Disable other (virtual) network interfaces from control panel - network
> connections, and have a look at the "status" button - it should list a ip
> address in the 192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z range, NOT one beginning with
> 196.254 as this would indicate your router does not do dhcp.
> Come back with the output of "ipconfig /all" copied and pasted from
> a "command line".

You mean 169.254 don't you?

Duane

Noel Paton

"Walter Mautner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Goiter bad neck wrote:
>
>> HI,
>> Running win xp sp2.
>> Just aquired a bt voyager 2500v router.
>> Isp is BTbroadband.
>> It works fine using the supplied usb cable.
>> However using the supplied ethernet cable the router dissapears from
>> device manager meaning i cant connect to the net or even access the
>> router
>> config manager.

> Your computer just sees the ethernet connection, and does not (need to)
> know
> about that router, except that the ethernet connection needs to become the
> default route now.
> Disable other (virtual) network interfaces from control panel - network
> connections, and have a look at the "status" button - it should list a ip
> address in the 192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z range, NOT one beginning with
> 196.254 as this would indicate your router does not do dhcp.
> Come back with the output of "ipconfig /all" copied and pasted from
> a "command line".

You should also change the DUN setting to 'never dial a connection'

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Goiter bad neck

> "Goiter bad neck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> HI,
>> Running win xp sp2.
>> Just aquired a bt voyager 2500v router.
>> Isp is BTbroadband.
>> It works fine using the supplied usb cable.
>> However using the supplied ethernet cable the router dissapears from

> device
>> manager meaning i cant connect to the net or even access the router
>> config
>> manager.
>> But the control panel on the router shows the cable has been plugged in.
>> I have tried two different cables.
>> Anyone got any ideas , maybe incorrect setting somewhere.
>> Cheers for reading.

news:672hg.5065$(E-Mail Removed)...