Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Detecting proxy settings

Detecting proxy settings

Mike

I get this message and have to wait several seconds whenever I open Internet
Explorer.

It's not the end of the world but 8 - 10 seconds can seem like a long time.
I never had this at my old house.

Using BTinternet at about 3MBs. Windows XP

Is there something I can change to stop it logging off or whatever it's
doing?

Thanks

Walter Mautner

Mike wrote:

> I get this message and have to wait several seconds whenever I open
> Internet Explorer.

"This message" relates to your subject, I think ... you'd better put a more
descriptive subject, like 'IE meditates while "detecting proxy settings" '
and please repeat the question inside your message.
Now, in IE properties/connections tab/proxy settings, you have some
checkboxes, one of them labelled "automatically detect ..." - which you
want to untick.
Make sure you have set one of the other options correctly, if your ISP
requires a proxy. But most providers switch over to transparent proxying,
where you don't need to setup one at your box.

Mike

"Walter Mautner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mike wrote:
>
>> I get this message and have to wait several seconds whenever I open
>> Internet Explorer.
>>

> "This message" relates to your subject, I think ... you'd better put a
> more
> descriptive subject, like 'IE meditates while "detecting proxy settings" '
> and please repeat the question inside your message.
> Now, in IE properties/connections tab/proxy settings, you have some
> checkboxes, one of them labelled "automatically detect ..." - which you
> want to untick.
> Make sure you have set one of the other options correctly, if your ISP
> requires a proxy. But most providers switch over to transparent proxying,
> where you don't need to setup one at your box.
> --
> vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse detected penguin patterns
> on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
> incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
> Linux 2.6.16-mm1,Xorg7.0 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

That seems to work. Thanks for your advice.