Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows Update didn't shake my old internet provider

Windows Update didn't shake my old internet provider

Fatfreek

I am using Win2K Pro and when I press the Start / Windows Update, an
Internet Explorer window opens that is titled Arkansas.Net. (Over a year ago
that was my dialup internet provider) Further, something within that window
prevents me, to this day, from proceeding with updates by using the Start
button.

Just this morning, hoping to get rid of any Arkansas.net "leftovers", I
completely uninstalled Internet Explorer and downloaded and installed a
fresh copy. That didn't help.

Do you have any suggestions?

Len Miller
--
To email reply, eradicate all threes in my SPAM guarded address.

Toolman Tim

In news(E-Mail Removed),
Fatfreek spewed forth:
> I am using Win2K Pro and when I press the Start / Windows Update, an
> Internet Explorer window opens that is titled Arkansas.Net. (Over a
> year ago that was my dialup internet provider) Further, something
> within that window prevents me, to this day, from proceeding with
> updates by using the Start button.
>
> Just this morning, hoping to get rid of any Arkansas.net "leftovers",
> I completely uninstalled Internet Explorer and downloaded and
> installed a fresh copy. That didn't help.
>
> Do you have any suggestions?
>
> Len Miller

It's nothing serious. The former ISP did not do anything malicious to your
PC. And it has nothing to do with the Windows Update.

The Windows Update web site has changed from time to time. And the link on
the start menu is probably wrong because of it. Does Windows Update run when
you start it from within IE?

As for the labeling of your IE, you can change that too. Here's a web page
with a link for a small utility which can take care of it:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/ispunbrand.htm

--
I always finish what I sta

Respondant

Toolman Tim wrote:

> In news(E-Mail Removed),
> Fatfreek spewed forth:

<snip>

> As for the labeling of your IE, you can change that too. Here's a web
> page with a link for a small utility which can take care of it:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/ispunbrand.htm

Since SpywareBlaster is as highly regarded as AdAware and Spybot S&D are in
this group, there's a chance the OP already has it installed.

If so, there's a button under "Tools" in SpywareBlaster that reads, "Misc.
IE Settings" which allows you to edit the text that appears after the site
name in the IE title bar.

Just thought I'd mention that as it seems a lot of folks are unaware of that
extra little goody in SpywareBlaster.

Fatfreek

To email reply, eradicate all threes in my SPAM guarded address.
news:cTCgg.26$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news(E-Mail Removed),
> Fatfreek spewed forth:
> > I am using Win2K Pro and when I press the Start / Windows Update, an
> > Internet Explorer window opens that is titled Arkansas.Net. (Over a
> > year ago that was my dialup internet provider) Further, something
> > within that window prevents me, to this day, from proceeding with
> > updates by using the Start button.
> >
> > Just this morning, hoping to get rid of any Arkansas.net "leftovers",
> > I completely uninstalled Internet Explorer and downloaded and
> > installed a fresh copy. That didn't help.
> >
> > Do you have any suggestions?
> >
> > Len Miller

> It's nothing serious. The former ISP did not do anything malicious to your
> PC. And it has nothing to do with the Windows Update.
>
> The Windows Update web site has changed from time to time. And the link on
> the start menu is probably wrong because of it. Does Windows Update run

when
> you start it from within IE?

No, it opens the exact same page as when I click Start / Windows Update:
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

I've proceeded thru the instructions on this page half dozen times -- but it
continues to reappear.

As an aside, this hasn't prevented me from updating. When I occasionally get
that blue/green icon in my lower right tray, I hover with mouse cursor and
see that it promises some update. I click and it happens. I can continue to
hover with my mouse and get progress pct.

> As for the labeling of your IE, you can change that too. Here's a web page
> with a link for a small utility which can take care of it:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/ispunbrand.htm
>
> --
> I always finish what I sta

Whiskers

On 2006-06-04, Fatfreek <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am using Win2K Pro and when I press the Start / Windows Update, an
> Internet Explorer window opens that is titled Arkansas.Net. (Over a year ago
> that was my dialup internet provider) Further, something within that window
> prevents me, to this day, from proceeding with updates by using the Start
> button.
>
> Just this morning, hoping to get rid of any Arkansas.net "leftovers", I
> completely uninstalled Internet Explorer and downloaded and installed a
> fresh copy. That didn't help.
>
> Do you have any suggestions?
>
> Len Miller

Go to Google and search for

de-brand internet explorer

for links to do with getting rid of the ISP's branding of that deprecated
excuse for a web browser, if that bothers you.

People who know more than I do about Windows may be able to help you with
the 'Windows Update' problem, if you describe precisely what happens when
you try to update your Windows. The precise text of any pages or error
messages that appear, would probably be useful.

If you want to show a 'screenshot' of what happens, upload the image to an
image-hosting web site such as the free and no-registration
<http://tinypic.com/> and put the URL for the image into a post here.
Don't post an 'attachment' to this newsgroup, it is a text only group and
many news-servers will drop any 'binary' articles - and people using
dial-up to read newsgroups will not like having to pay for the bandwidth
if their news-server doesn't drop the binary.

--
-- Whiskers