Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Whats software for test lab?

Whats software for test lab?

me63401@privacy.net

Im going to setup a small home network as a test and
training lab.

What software and apps would you suggest to get?

Should I get something like Microsoft Small Business
Server to train on Win 2003 server and Exchange server?

Advice on what to get software wise and how to minimize
cost of it?

John

Brendon Rogers

No. Get and use the exact software for the exams you are taking.

So Windows Server 2003 and Exchange 2003.

It is worth knowing how SBS is configured and works but there subtle
differences between SBS and the full versions.

You can get eval versions from Microsoft.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Im going to setup a small home network as a test and
> training lab.
>
> What software and apps would you suggest to get?
>
> Should I get something like Microsoft Small Business
> Server to train on Win 2003 server and Exchange server?
>
> Advice on what to get software wise and how to minimize
> cost of it?
>
> John

Sir Kozz

For $300.00 a year you can sign up with ms and get almost all of the sw,
this includes 2k server, 03 server, sbs server, sql sever, exchange, office,
plus all the betas.

Its really a great deal, the only stipulation is that you can't sell it.

Thanx, Chris.

p.s. It ends up being worth about 15k in sw for paying absolutely nothing.

"Brendon Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No. Get and use the exact software for the exams you are taking.
>
> So Windows Server 2003 and Exchange 2003.
>
> It is worth knowing how SBS is configured and works but there subtle
> differences between SBS and the full versions.
>
> You can get eval versions from Microsoft.
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Im going to setup a small home network as a test and
> > training lab.
> >
> > What software and apps would you suggest to get?
> >
> > Should I get something like Microsoft Small Business
> > Server to train on Win 2003 server and Exchange server?
> >
> > Advice on what to get software wise and how to minimize
> > cost of it?
> >
> > John

William Wang

<(E-Mail Removed)> ] news:(E-Mail Removed) ׫...
Im going to setup a small home network as a test and
training lab.

What software and apps would you suggest to get?

Should I get something like Microsoft Small Business
Server to train on Win 2003 server and Exchange server?

Advice on what to get software wise and how to minimize
cost of it?

John

me63401@privacy.net

>No. Get and use the exact software for the exams you are taking.
>
>So Windows Server 2003 and Exchange 2003.
>
>It is worth knowing how SBS is configured and works but there subtle
>differences between SBS and the full versions.

Wow

I didn't know that! I assumed Small Business Server
was the exact same thing as Win 2003 server and
Exchange 2003..... just at a discount since it was
packaged together.

So are you saying ther are technical differences
between SBS and full blown Win 2003 server and Exchange
2003 server?

John

me63401@privacy.net

>For $300.00 a year you can sign up with ms and get almost all of the sw,
>this includes 2k server, 03 server, sbs server, sql sever, exchange, office,
>plus all the betas.

Wow!

Is this for real above? Why is MS allowing all this so
cheap?

I already have the beta kit from MS for Win 2003 server
and Exchange 203 and all that. It only cost me $20.....
but the software expires after Nov 31 next month

Are you saying that I can sign up for the deal you
mention above....and get "functional" and useable
version of all this software for $300/yr?

John

me63401@privacy.net

>p.s. It ends up being worth about 15k in sw for paying absolutely nothing.

Not sure what you mean.

Can you explain?

John

MikeF

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >It is worth knowing how SBS is configured and works but there

subtle
> >differences between SBS and the full versions.

> Wow
>
> I didn't know that! I assumed Small Business Server
> was the exact same thing as Win 2003 server and
> Exchange 2003..... just at a discount since it was
> packaged together.
>
> So are you saying ther are technical differences
> between SBS and full blown Win 2003 server and Exchange
> 2003 server?
>
> John

It depends on what the meaning of "are" is. Sorry. Yes there are.
Some not to subtle.
Get the full software. Free Evals are good for 180 days. If you're
going to buy the MS study kits (bookpool.com is cheapest) you'll get
evals with the books.
Mike

Dmitry Korolyov [MVP]

VMWare. If you don't have lots of actual hardware at home, at have at least moderately-powerful PC (1Ghz+ processor, 512Mb+ RAM), you can setup a whole virtual network just on a single physical PC! I think using evaluation versions of the software is fine, all you need then is to get vmware, www.vmware.com.

--
Dmitry Korolyov [(E-Mail Removed)]
MVP: Windows Server - Active Directory

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Im going to setup a small home network as a test and
training lab.

What software and apps would you suggest to get?

Should I get something like Microsoft Small Business
Server to train on Win 2003 server and Exchange server?

Advice on what to get software wise and how to minimize
cost of it?

John

me63401@privacy.net

> If you're
>going to buy the MS study kits (bookpool.com is cheapest) you'll get
>evals with the books.

And they are good for 6 months?

But what if I want to run all these apps
permanently.... even tho at home?

John