Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Screen ratio question

Screen ratio question

Jim Scott

I have been given a flat screen monitor 27cm x 34cm.

My 'old' standard one is 24cm x 32cm.

Because the ratio is different my pictures are slightly elongated. Is there
anything I can do about it?
--
Jim
Tyneside UK

Ron Martell

Jim Scott <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have been given a flat screen monitor 27cm x 34cm.
>
>My 'old' standard one is 24cm x 32cm.
>
>Because the ratio is different my pictures are slightly elongated. Is there
>anything I can do about it?

What is the make and model of the new monitor?

What is the resolution setting that you are currently using? Check
this in Control Panel - Display - Settings.

Most computer monitors use a 4:3 aspect ratio, such as 640 x 480, 800
x 600 or 1024 x 768. Newer wide aspect LCD flat panels use a 16:9 or
16:10 aspect ration and may require a new video card with this
capability in order to display correctly.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Jim Scott

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 19:01:34 GMT, Ron Martell wrote:

> Jim Scott <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have been given a flat screen monitor 27cm x 34cm.
>>
>>My 'old' standard one is 24cm x 32cm.
>>
>>Because the ratio is different my pictures are slightly elongated. Is there
>>anything I can do about it?

> What is the make and model of the new monitor?
>
> What is the resolution setting that you are currently using? Check
> this in Control Panel - Display - Settings.
>
> Most computer monitors use a 4:3 aspect ratio, such as 640 x 480, 800
> x 600 or 1024 x 768. Newer wide aspect LCD flat panels use a 16:9 or
> 16:10 aspect ration and may require a new video card with this
> capability in order to display correctly.
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

AOC

1024x768
--
Jim
Tyneside UK

Alan

Jim Scott wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 19:01:34 GMT, Ron Martell wrote:
>
>> Jim Scott <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I have been given a flat screen monitor 27cm x 34cm.
>>>
>>> My 'old' standard one is 24cm x 32cm.
>>>
>>> Because the ratio is different my pictures are slightly elongated. Is there
>>> anything I can do about it?

>> What is the make and model of the new monitor?
>>
>> What is the resolution setting that you are currently using? Check
>> this in Control Panel - Display - Settings.
>>
>> Most computer monitors use a 4:3 aspect ratio, such as 640 x 480, 800
>> x 600 or 1024 x 768. Newer wide aspect LCD flat panels use a 16:9 or
>> 16:10 aspect ration and may require a new video card with this
>> capability in order to display correctly.
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

> AOC
>
> 1024x768

AOC What? Is it shaped like an "old" television - or a movie screen?

Jim Scott

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 20:08:30 -0400, Alan wrote:

> Jim Scott wrote:

>>> What is the make and model of the new monitor?
>>>
>>> What is the resolution setting that you are currently using? Check
>>> this in Control Panel - Display - Settings.
>>>
>>> Most computer monitors use a 4:3 aspect ratio, such as 640 x 480, 800
>>> x 600 or 1024 x 768. Newer wide aspect LCD flat panels use a 16:9 or
>>> 16:10 aspect ration and may require a new video card with this
>>> capability in order to display correctly.
>>>
>>> Good luck
>>>
>>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

>> AOC
>>
>> 1024x768

> AOC What? Is it shaped like an "old" television - or a movie screen?

AW I don't know. It's my brother who is not here.
He now tells me that if he goes to a higher resolution all is well, but the
pictures are small.
--
Jim
Tyneside UK

old man

Some new displays are designed to work in a specific / minimum resolution
and as such they wont display correctly in a lower resolution.
Your bro. need to state what resolution he is using (Dispaly Properties) -
perhaps he needs specs.?

"Jim Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qabcoda8neq5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 20:08:30 -0400, Alan wrote:
>
> > Jim Scott wrote:

there

> >> AOC
> >>
> >> 1024x768

> > AOC What? Is it shaped like an "old" television - or a movie screen?

> AW I don't know. It's my brother who is not here.
> He now tells me that if he goes to a higher resolution all is well, but

the
> pictures are small.
> --
> Jim
> Tyneside UK
> http://www.jimscot.plus.com

Jim Scott

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 08:36:44 GMT, old man wrote:

> Some new displays are designed to work in a specific / minimum resolution
> and as such they wont display correctly in a lower resolution.
> Your bro. need to state what resolution he is using (Dispaly Properties) -
> perhaps he needs specs.?

I'd probably be better off teaching him to use newsgroups, but then he's
younger than me (61)
)
--
Jim