Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > wuauclt.exe: virus or not???

wuauclt.exe: virus or not???

Flycaster

Windows XP, SP, Free AVG, Free ZoneAlarm, Windows Defender, Free AdAare,
Spywareblaster.
Computer running at high CPU usage, with CIDAEMON.EXE running at 27-63%.
Noted that wuauclt.exe was new to the TM Processes. Searched for
wuauclt.exe. it is in: c\windows\system 32, c\windows\service pack, and
in i386.
Is this a virus?

BTW, while writing this inquiry, the computer stopped processing and
I've been getting alerts to restart the computer to finish the download.
I suspect that wuauclt.exe is valid, but want to double check.

Thanks.
--
To email, erase "forgetit"

Meat Plow

On Wed, 31 May 2006 08:48:40 -0400, Flycaster wrote:

> Subject: wuauclt.exe: virus or not???
> From: Flycaster <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
> Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 08:48:40 -0400
>
> Windows XP, SP, Free AVG, Free ZoneAlarm, Windows Defender, Free AdAare,
> Spywareblaster.
> Computer running at high CPU usage, with CIDAEMON.EXE running at 27-63%.
> Noted that wuauclt.exe was new to the TM Processes. Searched for
> wuauclt.exe. it is in: c\windows\system 32, c\windows\service pack, and
> in i386.
> Is this a virus?

Windows update process IIRC.

gangle

"Flycaster" wrote
> Windows XP, SP, Free AVG, Free ZoneAlarm, Windows Defender, Free AdAare,
> Spywareblaster.
> Computer running at high CPU usage, with CIDAEMON.EXE running at 27-63%.
> Noted that wuauclt.exe was new to the TM Processes. Searched for
> wuauclt.exe. it is in: c\windows\system 32, c\windows\service pack, and
> in i386.
> Is this a virus?
>
> BTW, while writing this inquiry, the computer stopped processing and
> I've been getting alerts to restart the computer to finish the download.
> I suspect that wuauclt.exe is valid, but want to double check.
>
> Thanks.

It MIGHT be a valid Windows file OR it could be malware posing
as a legitimate file.

Submit the file to: http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus for
inspection. It's not a great idea to rely on AVG as your main onboard
AV program. Try the trial versions of either Kaspersky or NOD32
for more comprehensive AV protection.

Flycaster

gangle wrote:
> "Flycaster" wrote
>> Windows XP, SP, Free AVG, Free ZoneAlarm, Windows Defender, Free AdAare,
>> Spywareblaster.
>> Computer running at high CPU usage, with CIDAEMON.EXE running at 27-63%.
>> Noted that wuauclt.exe was new to the TM Processes. Searched for
>> wuauclt.exe. it is in: c\windows\system 32, c\windows\service pack, and
>> in i386.
>> Is this a virus?
>>
>> BTW, while writing this inquiry, the computer stopped processing and
>> I've been getting alerts to restart the computer to finish the download.
>> I suspect that wuauclt.exe is valid, but want to double check.
>>
>> Thanks.

> It MIGHT be a valid Windows file OR it could be malware posing
> as a legitimate file.
>
> Submit the file to: http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus for
> inspection. It's not a great idea to rely on AVG as your main onboard
> AV program. Try the trial versions of either Kaspersky or NOD32
> for more comprehensive AV protection.

Check it out as you suggested. Not a virus. valid file. Thanks.

--
To email, erase "forgetit"