Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Email header information

Email header information

The Addison's

Is there any way to tell what IP address an email came from? Is there a
hidden "header" that will tell you? Do you need special software?

TIA,
Hawkeye65

Mike Easter

The Addison's wrote:
> Is there any way to tell what IP address an email came from? Is there
> a hidden "header" that will tell you? Do you need special software?

How to read email headers is described on many spam tutorial sites.

It is 'trickier' to determine the IP source depending upon whether or
not the item contains any forged Received tracelines or not, and
depending upon how RFC compliant the mail transfer agents are which
handled the item en route.

Some simple items have only a single Received traceline in which the
'from' field contains the IP of the source -- while others have a
complicated string or 'chain' of Received tracelines which need to be
chained from the top toward the bottom or until the first sign of
bogosity. The chaining is done from the upper from field IP to the
lower by field domainname.

If you want to learn, I advise this very old tutorial
http://www.stopspam.org/email/headers.html All About Email Headers

If you want to learn and are going to be doing it 'regularly', I
recommend registering for spamcop's free parsing/reporting service so
you can compare your results with spamcop's algorithmic parser
http://www.spamcop.net/anonsignup.shtml

You don't have to report your spam to use the SC parser, you can cancel
any report.

If you only have a one-off question, you could post the complete headers
somewhere like the ng alt.spam and get advice there. I don't know how
welcome those headers would be in this group.

If you are going to munge personal information, don't munge excessively,
and be 'sensible' about leaving 'evidence' of what you have munged or
obfuscated.

If you want a lot more links about headers, I recommend spamlinks
http://spamlinks.net/index.html

--
Mike Easter

Ingeborg

The Addison's wrote:

> Is there any way to tell what IP address an email came from? Is there a
> hidden "header" that will tell you? Do you need special software?

In your header I can see you are using Outlook Express as newsreader. When
you also use it as mailclient, you can select the mail, and goto file->
properties->details to see the header. There is a buch of IP adresses in
the header, the last mentioned is the sender.

Plato

The Addison's wrote:

> Is there any way to tell what IP address an email came from? Is there a
> hidden "header" that will tell you? Do you need special software?

Not worth the bother or time.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/