Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Road Runner PASSWORD SMTP Authentication

Road Runner PASSWORD SMTP Authentication

Jack B. Pollack

Anyone know if there is a way to password authenticate with the RoadRunner
SMTP server, so I can send mail through Outlook while traveling (I have
tried using my email user name & PW for the SMTP server but still can't send
mail when not connected to RR).

Thanks

Ingeborg

Jack B. Pollack wrote:

> Anyone know if there is a way to password authenticate with the
> RoadRunner SMTP server, so I can send mail through Outlook while
> traveling (I have tried using my email user name & PW for the SMTP
> server but still can't send mail when not connected to RR).

Some mailproviders give you a timeslot (a few minutes) where your IP
address can use SMTP *after* you've logged in with POP.
Try getting your mail first, and send directly hereafter.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jack B. Pollack wrote:

> Anyone know if there is a way to password authenticate with the
> RoadRunner SMTP server, so I can send mail through Outlook while
> traveling (I have tried using my email user name & PW for the SMTP
> server but still can't send mail when not connected to RR).

ARAIK, it's not possible to use the RR SMTP while not connected via the
cable. You do have the option of using the Webmail interface, though.

Try logging in to [using your own region name]:
http://<your-region>.rr.com/ and looking for the Webmail link.
Then bookmark it.

I'm in Rochester NY, so I would use
http://rochester.rr.com/

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Mike Easter

Jack B. Pollack wrote:
> Anyone know if there is a way to password authenticate with the
> RoadRunner SMTP server, so I can send mail through Outlook while
> traveling (I have tried using my email user name & PW for the SMTP
> server but still can't send mail when not connected to RR).

RR sez on their help pages that you can use the pop server to get your
mail from a foreign IP like another ISP, but you can't use the smtp.
You have to use the smtp server of whatever ISP you are accessing -- or
you can use the RR webmail.

If you are using the RR dialup access there isn't a problem.

For all the instructions about that use help.rr.com and navigate to the
email away from home section, and there is a separate section for dialup
access instructions -- you need to get that setup ahead of time which
might take over 24 hours and is only available to the master account.

RR doesn't have a smtpauth server accessible to foreign IPs like some
other providers. EL's gets abused some by spammers because they get
auth user/pw 'somehow'.

--
Mike Easter

Leythos

In article <447c3a80$0$21501$(E-Mail Removed) ews.net>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> Jack B. Pollack wrote:
> > Anyone know if there is a way to password authenticate with the
> > RoadRunner SMTP server, so I can send mail through Outlook while
> > traveling (I have tried using my email user name & PW for the SMTP
> > server but still can't send mail when not connected to RR).

> RR sez on their help pages that you can use the pop server to get your
> mail from a foreign IP like another ISP, but you can't use the smtp.
> You have to use the smtp server of whatever ISP you are accessing -- or
> you can use the RR webmail.
>
> If you are using the RR dialup access there isn't a problem.
>
> For all the instructions about that use help.rr.com and navigate to the
> email away from home section, and there is a separate section for dialup
> access instructions -- you need to get that setup ahead of time which
> might take over 24 hours and is only available to the master account.
>
> RR doesn't have a smtpauth server accessible to foreign IPs like some
> other providers. EL's gets abused some by spammers because they get
> auth user/pw 'somehow'.

If you purchase a DFL-700 Firewall you can set it up as a PPTP server
and then VPN into it from anywhere and use your RR connection just like
you were at home (no changes to email needed).

--

(E-Mail Removed)
remove 999 in order to email me

Mike Easter

Leythos wrote:

> If you purchase a DFL-700 Firewall you can set it up as a PPTP server
> and then VPN into it from anywhere and use your RR connection just
> like you were at home (no changes to email needed).

That's an interesting device http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=327
DFL-700 Desktop VPN Firewall

.... but it is a little pricey. I think you could get that same job done
cheaper than that.

I see them being currently retailed for from $300-380 USD. And I saw
some old prices much higher than that.

--
Mike Easter

Leythos

In article <447c9802$0$79450$(E-Mail Removed) ews.net>,
(E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> Leythos wrote:
>
> > If you purchase a DFL-700 Firewall you can set it up as a PPTP server
> > and then VPN into it from anywhere and use your RR connection just
> > like you were at home (no changes to email needed).

> That's an interesting device http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=327
> DFL-700 Desktop VPN Firewall
>
> ... but it is a little pricey. I think you could get that same job done
> cheaper than that.
>
> I see them being currently retailed for from $300-380 USD. And I saw
> some old prices much higher than that.

Actually, considering all that the unit does, it's very cheap.

Pix 501-Road Runner Cable bgt Cisco 1 04-26-2004 05:54 PM
Really stumped on router connected to time warner road runner internet Eugene Cisco 4 04-26-2004 01:50 AM
can anyone tell me why i'm having problems with road runner Computer Support 4 12-19-2003 02:28 AM
E-Mail Bouncing Back From Road Runner NonSuch Computer Support 5 11-30-2003 08:50 PM
E.mail address problems with Road Runner Christine Moore Computer Support 1 07-05-2003 05:27 AM

Advertisments