Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Oh, the terrible responsibilites of being an ISP

Oh, the terrible responsibilites of being an ISP

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

I just got back from the mountain top and I feel like getting "not
sober". ****. The wireless access point went down and I got calls from
clients. Up the tower and reset everything. Kee-rist, these bastard
customers couldn't ask for more. Aren't you customer types ashamed of
being this way? Why do you have to act like this?

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed) om,
Rgr spewed forth:
> I just got back from the mountain top and I feel like getting "not
> sober". ****. The wireless access point went down and I got calls from
> clients. Up the tower and reset everything. Kee-rist, these bastard
> customers couldn't ask for more. Aren't you customer types ashamed of
> being this way? Why do you have to act like this?

<VBG>

--
I always finish what I sta

Mara

On Mon, 29 May 2006 22:59:12 -0400, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just got back from the mountain top and I feel like getting "not
>sober". ****. The wireless access point went down and I got calls from
>clients. Up the tower and reset everything. Kee-rist, these bastard
>customers couldn't ask for more. Aren't you customer types ashamed of
>being this way? Why do you have to act like this?

Because they're brainless, that's why. They're insipid, inane, moronic, useless
twits. And I only say that because I'm trying to be nice.

I was called in tonight, too. It seems one of my lusers decided to delete the
Sygate folder on the laptop, which was hidden and passworded, and turn on the
WinBlows firewall/ICS service, without disabling the Sygate service, and install
a security lock program (which is not only in direct violation of hospital
policy, but which took me about 2 seconds to defeat) and added a few other
forbidden programs as well.

I will of course mention all this at the HIPAA meeting tomorrow. People too
stupid to chew gum and breathe at the same time shouldn't be allowed anywhere
*near* a computer, even if they *do* work there.

"****wits, the lot of them."

--
"You must be smarter than ->|<- this stick to ride the Internet."
--SleepyOne

GHalleck

Rgr wrote:

> I just got back from the mountain top and I feel like getting "not
> sober". ****. The wireless access point went down and I got calls from
> clients. Up the tower and reset everything. Kee-rist, these bastard
> customers couldn't ask for more. Aren't you customer types ashamed of
> being this way? Why do you have to act like this?

Well...if they were paying customers, then the service needs to be
provided. Of course, within a reasonable time. And there is always
the troubling issue of liabilities if the service is ot restored.
Customers have always been taught to believe that they are right.

GHalleck

Mara wrote:

> On Mon, 29 May 2006 22:59:12 -0400, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I just got back from the mountain top and I feel like getting "not
>>sober". ****. The wireless access point went down and I got calls from
>>clients. Up the tower and reset everything. Kee-rist, these bastard
>>customers couldn't ask for more. Aren't you customer types ashamed of
>>being this way? Why do you have to act like this?

> Because they're brainless, that's why. They're insipid, inane, moronic, useless
> twits. And I only say that because I'm trying to be nice.
>
> I was called in tonight, too. It seems one of my lusers decided to delete the
> Sygate folder on the laptop, which was hidden and passworded, and turn on the
> WinBlows firewall/ICS service, without disabling the Sygate service, and install
> a security lock program (which is not only in direct violation of hospital
> policy, but which took me about 2 seconds to defeat) and added a few other
> forbidden programs as well.
>
> I will of course mention all this at the HIPAA meeting tomorrow. People too
> stupid to chew gum and breathe at the same time shouldn't be allowed anywhere
> *near* a computer, even if they *do* work there.
>
> "****wits, the lot of them."

Don't know about your hospital but I consult to several where users
must be certified by their facilities before they can even touch a
keyboard on their own. And, of course, those that violate policy and
mis-use or abuse their computer privileges are terminated, especially
for contravening HIPAA.

beenthere

"GHalleck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Rgr wrote:
>
>> I just got back from the mountain top and I feel like getting "not
>> sober". ****. The wireless access point went down and I got calls from
>> clients. Up the tower and reset everything. Kee-rist, these bastard
>> customers couldn't ask for more. Aren't you customer types ashamed of
>> being this way? Why do you have to act like this?

> Well...if they were paying customers, then the service needs to be
> provided. Of course, within a reasonable time. And there is always
> the troubling issue of liabilities if the service is ot restored.
> Customers have always been taught to believe that they are right.

I bet that`s `cos they foot the bill <g>.

Meat Plow

On Mon, 29 May 2006 22:59:12 -0400, Rôgêr wrote:

> I just got back from the mountain top and I feel like getting "not sober".
> ****. The wireless access point went down and I got calls from clients. Up
> the tower and reset everything. Kee-rist, these bastard customers couldn't
> ask for more. Aren't you customer types ashamed of being this way? Why do
> you have to act like this?

Before I started my own business, I was on 24 hour call to several
commercial clients who ran 3 shifts. Lucky for me that these were all
older Novell networks and didn't require the overseeing that Windows did.
But there is nothing like working 12 hours the day before then getting a
page at 4 am and finding a server ABEND for no good reason.

Mara

On Mon, 29 May 2006 23:46:38 -0700, GHalleck <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Mara wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 29 May 2006 22:59:12 -0400, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>I just got back from the mountain top and I feel like getting "not
>>>sober". ****. The wireless access point went down and I got calls from
>>>clients. Up the tower and reset everything. Kee-rist, these bastard
>>>customers couldn't ask for more. Aren't you customer types ashamed of
>>>being this way? Why do you have to act like this?

>> Because they're brainless, that's why. They're insipid, inane, moronic, useless
>> twits. And I only say that because I'm trying to be nice.
>>
>> I was called in tonight, too. It seems one of my lusers decided to delete the
>> Sygate folder on the laptop, which was hidden and passworded, and turn on the
>> WinBlows firewall/ICS service, without disabling the Sygate service, and install
>> a security lock program (which is not only in direct violation of hospital
>> policy, but which took me about 2 seconds to defeat) and added a few other
>> forbidden programs as well.
>>
>> I will of course mention all this at the HIPAA meeting tomorrow. People too
>> stupid to chew gum and breathe at the same time shouldn't be allowed anywhere
>> *near* a computer, even if they *do* work there.
>>
>> "****wits, the lot of them."
>>

>Don't know about your hospital but I consult to several where users
>must be certified by their facilities before they can even touch a
>keyboard on their own. And, of course, those that violate policy and
>mis-use or abuse their computer privileges are terminated, especially
>for contravening HIPAA.

Certification doesn't stop people from being stupid. Just last week the Privacy
Officer and I handed out a Security policy that was written in third-grade
language-no changing settings on the machines, no installing non-approved
software, no attempting to fix the machines themselves. You see how much good
*that* did.

So far I've filed four Incident Reports on the same morons. They've all gone to
the Oversight Committee. Each time the manager of the department (who is a total
kook in her own right) and the hospital Administrator say they'll take care of
it, and each time nothing at all is done.

Because they're morons. It's the only reasonable explanation.

--
"You must be smarter than ->|<- this stick to ride the Internet."
--SleepyOne

Jimchip

On 2006-05-30, Mara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[snip]

> I will of course mention all this at the HIPAA meeting tomorrow. People too
> stupid to chew gum and breathe at the same time shouldn't be allowed anywhere
> *near* a computer, even if they *do* work there.

I'd like to add "anywhere *near* a hospital"
(unless they need treatment, of course)