Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Win XP password box open and ready

Win XP password box open and ready

Paul Blarmy

When booting up WinXP, my user account icon has to be clicked on before
the password input box becomes visible and open ready for me to type my
password. On another PC I have, the password box is already open and
waiting for thr password.

Anyone know how to get the password input box open and ready on bootup
on the other machine?

TIA

--
EMail address is disposable and never checked.
Outgoing message is certified VIRUS FREE by

John Holmes

Paul Blarmy blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> When booting up WinXP, my user account icon has to be clicked on before
> the password input box becomes visible and open ready for me to type my
> password. On another PC I have, the password box is already open and
> waiting for thr password.
>
> Anyone know how to get the password input box open and ready on bootup
> on the other machine?
>
> TIA

Control Panel > User Accounts> Change the way users log on > Uncheck "use
the welcome screen"

--
Your mother was a gap-teethed compulsive liar who earned a bad reputation
in a secure compound.

Paul Blarmy

On Mon, 29 May 2006 20:04:10 +0200 (CEST), John Holmes wrote...

> Control Panel > User Accounts> Change the way users log on > Uncheck "use
> the welcome screen"

No. I want the welcome screen but I also want the password input box to
be open and waiting for the password.

--
EMail address is disposable and never checked.
Outgoing message is certified VIRUS FREE by
*me* using nothing more than common sense.

PhilŪ

"Paul Blarmy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> When booting up WinXP, my user account icon has to be clicked on before
> the password input box becomes visible and open ready for me to type my
> password. On another PC I have, the password box is already open and
> waiting for thr password.
>
> Anyone know how to get the password input box open and ready on bootup
> on the other machine?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> EMail address is disposable and never checked.
> Outgoing message is certified VIRUS FREE by
> *me* using nothing more than common sense.

I use Tweak UI for Windows XP.
'Logon > Autologon'

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Paul Blarmy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>When booting up WinXP, my user account icon has to be clicked on before
|>the password input box becomes visible and open ready for me to type my
|>password. On another PC I have, the password box is already open and
|>waiting for thr password.
|>
|>Anyone know how to get the password input box open and ready on bootup
|>on the other machine?

Start | Run <type in> control userpasswords2 <enter>
First check box.

--
Kinda fun, paint with others
http://www.doodlenow.com/whiteboard/whiteboard.jsp

Paul Blarmy

On Mon, 29 May 2006 21:35:51 -0700, wrote...

> |>Anyone know how to get the password input box open and ready on bootup
> |>on the other machine?
>
> Start | Run <type in> control userpasswords2 <enter>
> First check box.

Thanks, but that is already checked.

Just to clarify, the welcome screen *is* showing together with the icon
for my user account. On one computer I have to click on the user account
icon to open up the password input box and on the second computer the
password input box is already open and waiting without having to click
the icon first.

Both computers have just the one user account (me) and behave
identically except for the above scenario.

--
EMail address is disposable and never checked.
Outgoing message is certified VIRUS FREE by
*me* using nothing more than common sense.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Paul Blarmy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>On Mon, 29 May 2006 21:35:51 -0700, wrote...

|>> Start | Run <type in> control userpasswords2 <enter>
|>> First check box.
|>
|>Thanks, but that is already checked.
|>
|>Just to clarify, the welcome screen *is* showing together with the icon
|>for my user account. On one computer I have to click on the user account
|>icon to open up the password input box and on the second computer the
|>password input box is already open and waiting without having to click
|>the icon first.
|>
|>Both computers have just the one user account (me) and behave
|>identically except for the above scenario.

I'd suggest John Holmes advice then.

Start | Run <type in> nusrmgr.cpl <enter>

Change the way a user logs on\off
(if you get an error message - just cancel)
then top left - log on options

--
Quantum Physics Double Slit Experiment
http://tinyurl.com/pd9gy

Paul Blarmy

On Tue, 30 May 2006 10:16:17 -0700, wrote...

> I'd suggest John Holmes advice then.
>
> Start | Run <type in> nusrmgr.cpl <enter>
>
> Change the way a user logs on\off
> (if you get an error message - just cancel)
> then top left - log on options

Thanks, but that won't do what I want.

Oh well, what's an extra mouse click
Just a bit strange that one PC does it and the other doesn't.