Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Keyboard help

Keyboard help

me

I replaced the battery and still getting keyboard lockout. Also CMoss
checksum error defaults loaded. could the keyboard be junk?

Mara

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/booterrGBER08-c.html

--
"You must be smarter than ->|<- this stick to ride the Internet."
--SleepyOne

Mike Easter

me wrote:

> Hi I hope someone can help! I took my old computer out of storage.
> When I boot up I get a message saying "keyboard is locked unlock key"
> How do I fix this?
> It's a noname computer running on windows 95

Searching on those terms show two or more branches of solutions. One
branch has to do with stuck keys on the keyboard. Another branch has to
do with those computer cases which have a keyboard lockout function
requiring a key to unlock. That branch involves a jumper on the mobo to
be disabled. One troubleshooting strategy would be to temporarily
disconnect the keyboard and see what kinds of error messages you get,
the same or different. The errors for no kb are different than stuck
key or keyboard lock jumper situation.

> I replaced the battery and still getting keyboard lockout. Also CMoss
> checksum error defaults loaded. could the keyboard be junk?

Ah, now you have some more serious troubleshooting on your hands. The
CMOS checksum problem is the BIOS telling you that either it is corrupt
or some related mobo problem. Charles Kozierok of PCGuide fame sez the
most common source of that problem is either a weak battery or one
poorly connected. Since your battery is a new replacement - maybe you
connected it poorly or bought a bad one. CK has a troubleshooting guide
for CMOS checksum errors at
http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/booterrGBER08-c.html CMOS checksum
errors

That guide sez after the battery you have to look to

--
Mike Easter

Oldus Fartus

Mike Easter wrote:
> me wrote:
>
>> Hi I hope someone can help! I took my old computer out of storage.
>> When I boot up I get a message saying "keyboard is locked unlock key"
>> How do I fix this?
>> It's a noname computer running on windows 95

> Searching on those terms show two or more branches of solutions. One
> branch has to do with stuck keys on the keyboard. Another branch has to
> do with those computer cases which have a keyboard lockout function
> requiring a key to unlock. That branch involves a jumper on the mobo to
> be disabled. One troubleshooting strategy would be to temporarily
> disconnect the keyboard and see what kinds of error messages you get,
> the same or different. The errors for no kb are different than stuck
> key or keyboard lock jumper situation.
>
>> I replaced the battery and still getting keyboard lockout. Also CMoss
>> checksum error defaults loaded. could the keyboard be junk?

> Ah, now you have some more serious troubleshooting on your hands. The
> CMOS checksum problem is the BIOS telling you that either it is corrupt
> or some related mobo problem. Charles Kozierok of PCGuide fame sez the
> most common source of that problem is either a weak battery or one
> poorly connected. Since your battery is a new replacement - maybe you
> connected it poorly or bought a bad one. CK has a troubleshooting guide
> for CMOS checksum errors at
> http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/booterrGBER08-c.html CMOS checksum
> errors
>
> That guide sez after the battery you have to look to

Actually Mike, he is getting exactly the reaction I would have expected
after replacing the CMOS battery, and after being unable to enter the
BIOS setup to reconfigure the computer. Easy for him to check whether
I am correct or not - the next time it tries to boot it should not give
that particular error.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Mike Easter

Oldus Fartus wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:

>> Ah, now you have some more serious troubleshooting on your hands.
>> The CMOS checksum problem is the BIOS telling you that either it is
>> corrupt or some related mobo problem.

> Actually Mike, he is getting exactly the reaction I would have
> expected after replacing the CMOS battery, and after being unable to
> enter the BIOS setup to reconfigure the computer. Easy for him to
> check whether I am correct or not - the next time it tries to boot it
> should not give that particular error.

You are certainly correct if his CMOS checksum problem is a onetime
event..

I was assuming persistence past onetime for the CMOS checksum error.

--
Mike Easter

Plato

me wrote:

> I replaced the battery and still getting keyboard lockout. Also CMoss
> checksum error defaults loaded. could the keyboard be junk?

Perhaps. In rare occasions the cpu fan could be bad which can disable
access to cmos.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/