Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Security password in 98

Security password in 98

ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa

What's the best ay to make a password in a 98 laptop?

The Windows password can be bypassed, and I understand a BIOS password can
be also.

Thanks

Mike Easter

ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa wrote:
> What's the best ay to make a password in a 98 laptop?

The security concept here being to prevent the laptop from being stolen?
Or is there some other security target in mind?

> The Windows password can be bypassed, and I understand a BIOS
> password can be also.

Before we get down to the fine points of defeating various security,
let's define what we are trying to secure -- then we can work on a
method of doing it.

If the idea is to prevent the theft of the laptop, that is one thing.
If the idea is to prevent the thief from being able to access the data
on the laptop, that is another thing. If the idea is to prevent some
friend or co-worker who can access the laptop but not steal it from
casual prying or snooping, that is still another thing.

You haven't defined your mission yet.

--
Mike Easter

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa spewed forth:
> What's the best ay to make a password in a 98 laptop?
>
> The Windows password can be bypassed, and I understand a BIOS
> password can be also.

You can't secure Windows 98 without non-Microsoft software. Your BIOS
password is MUCH more secure. It's not like a desktop where they can drop
the cover and set a jumper to erase a password.

Another option might be to encrypt the data you need protected - there is
freeware available for that.

--
I always finish what I sta

Margolotta

On Sun, 28 May 2006 17:44:36 +0100, ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):

> What's the best ay to make a password in a 98 laptop?
>
> The Windows password can be bypassed, and I understand a BIOS password can
> be also.
>

> Thanks

You cannot (unless there's a 3rd party application that can do it). Because
the 9x family is FAT32, securilty is like a locked door in the middle of a
field - completely useless. FAT32 was never designed to be secure because
they were either designed to be used on home computers or on client
workstations being run on an NT-based server (therefore the security was at
the server side and anything sensitive was stored on the server, not on the
client system).

You don't mean a BIOS password - you mean a system password - the former just
prevents access to the BIOS; the latter prevents the system from booting.
You're right, however, they can be circumvented but, as this is a laptop,
it's going to be a little more difficult as the only methods I'm aware of
involve removing the CMOS battery or shorting the CMOS reset jumper pins.

If you tell us why you want to secure the system, someone might be able to
advise. The best suggestion I can think of is installing Windows 2000 (if the
specs are too lowly for XP, 2000 might run). Or Linux. Linux is, by
definition, more secure than Windows.

@}-}-------Rosee

'Tis almost impossible to secure a Win9x computer as it is FAT32, but
there is one way. The only way I know of is using the System Policy
Editor. See here:

http://www.zisman.ca/poledit/

"ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> What's the best ay to make a password in a 98 laptop?
>
> The Windows password can be bypassed, and I understand a BIOS password
> can be also.
>
> Thanks

ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa

"@}-}-------Rosee" <!!GigAntiCBoSomS!!@Nip..com> wrote in message
> 'Tis almost impossible to secure a Win9x computer as it is FAT32, but
> there is one way. The only way I know of is using the System Policy
> Editor. See here:
>
> http://www.zisman.ca/poledit/
>
> "ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> What's the best ay to make a password in a 98 laptop?
>>
>> The Windows password can be bypassed, and I understand a BIOS password
>> can be also.
>>
>> Thanks

> --
> @}-}--}------Rosee http://www.cangogh.net/pix.html
> www.givemeals.com www.freedonation.com www.hungersite.com
> "This (TINT) is whatever I want it to be you bigfooted
> belligerent bowlegged babblative babuina."~Zigi~

Many thanks for the info

I'm just trying to secure the info on there, so that if it gets stolen, the
cunning thief cannot access the millions I currently hold in off shore
accounts.

I can change the password in the Bios...

Cheers

Mike Easter

ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa wrote:

> I'm just trying to secure the info on there, so that if it gets
> stolen, the cunning thief cannot access the millions I currently hold
> in off shore accounts.

Then the way I would do that would be to encrypt the drive.

> I can change the password in the Bios...

The problem with just using the

Using Poledit: Policy Editor to help secure Windows 95/98/ME computers

at the website named, or with passwording the BIOS, is that the thief
who steals the laptop and wants it for the data can still access the
drive and its data. The thief doesn't have to get past the bios pw or
the poledit Win situation

If the drive is encrypted, then the laptop/data thief is going to have
to bring some more serious encrypted drive cracking resources to bear.

--
Mike Easter

Sigmund F

"Margolotta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IDkeg.27488$(E-Mail Removed)...

This is very odd? The manic mad maggot from Missenden usually
berates this poster for using as his email, zaza.com...........
But she went to extraordinary effort to find, and cut+paste
a reasonable response? Though it is obvious she dosen't
understand a single word of what she has posted.
I wonder whose dentures she is using?

UnderDog

ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa wrote:
> What's the best ay to make a password in a 98 laptop?
>
> The Windows password can be bypassed, and I understand a BIOS password can
> be also.
>

> Thanks

Go to www.dougknox.com, and click the "Security" link at the top of
the left-side menu.

Check out the "Prevent Unauthorized Users from
accessing your computer" at the top of the resulting page.

Caution: read and understand the instructions before doing anything.

This information was given to me by someone in newsgroup
microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion. For all intents and purposes, it
works like a charm. The password cannot be bypassed, as is usually the case
in Win98. Make sure you follow the directions and make a back up of the
registry. You can also use the BIOS password as added security if you wish,
but I don't think it's needed. Just make sure you change the PW from the
factory default PW, and make sure you remember what it is. I there are ways
to bypass this, I'm sure it's not known by the average user.

ZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaa

Many thanks for the info.

Is there software a novice can use to encrypt the drive?