Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Vista?

Vista?

dbixby

Does anybody know anything about Microsoft Vista, like is it 32 bit, or 64
bit and what are the major features that are supposed to make it better than
XP?

Evan Platt

On Fri, 26 May 2006 17:02:38 -0400, "dbixby" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Does anybody know anything about Microsoft Vista, like is it 32 bit, or 64
>bit and what are the major features that are supposed to make it better than
>XP?

Noel Paton

"dbixby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Does anybody know anything about Microsoft Vista, like is it 32 bit, or 64
> bit and what are the major features that are supposed to make it better
> than XP?

Vista is 32-bit - and 64-bit
It is much more secure than XP, due to extensive use of 'managed code', and
improved IE bits.

look here for more details....
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...y/default.mspx

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Gordon

"Noel Paton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "dbixby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Does anybody know anything about Microsoft Vista, like is it 32 bit, or
>> 64 bit and what are the major features that are supposed to make it
>> better than XP?
>>

> Vista is 32-bit - and 64-bit
> It is much more secure than XP, due to extensive use of 'managed code',
> and improved IE bits.

In fact its /so/ secure it denies you access to parts of your HDD.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"dbixby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Does anybody know anything about Microsoft Vista, like is it 32 bit, or 64
|>bit and what are the major features that are supposed to make it better than
|>XP?

Vista whenever it becomes available, will embrace DRM so tightly you
will be forced to Lunix just to play your media. - maybe not, but it
would sure make it a lot easier.

I really wouldn't look forward to Vista...

--
The 25 Worst Tech Products of All Time
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...2,pg,2,00.asp#

Seatoller

On Fri, 26 May 2006 17:02:38 -0400, dbixby wrote:

> Does anybody know anything about Microsoft Vista, like is it 32 bit, or 64
> bit and what are the major features that are supposed to make it better
> than XP?

http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/05/24/...ista-feedback/

Doesn't seem a happy bunny.

--
This post is likely to have been hijacked by www.jlaforums.com, among other sites,
who try to pass it off as coming from their own forum. They are misleading the public

Seatoller

On Fri, 26 May 2006 22:55:18 +0100, Gordon wrote:

> "Noel Paton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "dbixby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Does anybody know anything about Microsoft Vista, like is it 32 bit, or
>>> 64 bit and what are the major features that are supposed to make it
>>> better than XP?
>>>

>> Vista is 32-bit - and 64-bit
>> It is much more secure than XP, due to extensive use of 'managed code',
>> and improved IE bits.

> In fact its /so/ secure it denies you access to parts of your HDD.

Those parts will be 0wn3d by M$, of course!
And this would appear to be the last windows release, as Gates wants it
all web-based so that M$ can then own & control /everything/. One may as
well just have a keyboard & monitor, & hand one's PC over to them IMO.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...603140305/1013

Unless of course, people change to another OS. Personally, I'm glad I
bailed out of M$'s clutches years ago.

--
This post is likely to have been hijacked by www.jlaforums.com, among other sites,
who try to pass it off as coming from their own forum. They are misleading the public
into thinking the posts come from their "forum". THEY DON'T! This post originated
in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, a USENET newsgroup which is FREE.

R. U. Mee

Seatoller wrote:

> On Fri, 26 May 2006 22:55:18 +0100, Gordon wrote:
>
>> "Noel Paton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "dbixby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>>
>>> Vista is 32-bit - and 64-bit
>>> It is much more secure than XP, due to extensive use of 'managed code',
>>> and improved IE bits.

>> In fact its /so/ secure it denies you access to parts of your HDD.

> Those parts will be 0wn3d by M$, of course!
> And this would appear to be the last windows release, as Gates wants it
> all web-based so that M$ can then own & control /everything/. One may as
> well just have a keyboard & monitor, & hand one's PC over to them IMO.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...603140305/1013

> Unless of course, people change to another OS. Personally, I'm glad I
> bailed out of M$'s clutches years ago.

I got out of MS clutches too. I do not think he is really serious because if
he did what the article claims is the vision of the company now he could
loose the goose that laid the golden egg. He is risking the future of MS on
an unproven concept. Wonder what the share holders think?

Mistoffolees

R. U. Mee wrote:

> Seatoller wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 26 May 2006 22:55:18 +0100, Gordon wrote:
>>

>>>"Noel Paton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>In fact its /so/ secure it denies you access to parts of your HDD.

>>Those parts will be 0wn3d by M$, of course!
>> And this would appear to be the last windows release, as Gates wants it
>>all web-based so that M$ can then own & control /everything/. One may as
>>well just have a keyboard & monitor, & hand one's PC over to them IMO.
>>

> http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...603140305/1013
>
>>Unless of course, people change to another OS. Personally, I'm glad I
>>bailed out of M$'s clutches years ago.
>>

> I got out of MS clutches too. I do not think he is really serious because if
> he did what the article claims is the vision of the company now he could
> loose the goose that laid the golden egg. He is risking the future of MS on
> an unproven concept. Wonder what the share holders think?

Realize the fact that most shareholders are involved just
to collect the dividends and capital gains, and so long as
this continues, they are happy. In addition, money spent
on most stocks are bought by funds and not individuals. It
doesn't matter what the shareholders think of any business
plan or model unless they are truly the managers or principal
investors of these funds groups. Moreover, their education
and background out of B-School favors the model of unilateral
control over distribution (or supply-and-demand). MS will
continue the way it is going unless Bill Gates starts making
egomanical errors in the way of Enron's Lay and Skilling. Nor
is server-based computing is not an unproven concept. IOW, the
PC was never meant [by IBM] to be developed into the desktop
powerhouse that it currently. It was supposed to have stayed
a mere workstation, slightly smarter than a dumb terminal.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Mistoffolees <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Tangent:

|> IOW, the
|>PC was never meant [by IBM] to be developed into the desktop
|>powerhouse that it currently. It was supposed to have stayed
|>a mere workstation, slightly smarter than a dumb terminal.

The IBM chip was never ment to handle graphics or multitask
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_8088

The Motorola 68000 did both very well and were what ran the old MACs
and the AmigA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_68000

But look where were at, An OS on a chip not ment for it, while
maintain'g the philosophy of backward compatibility (all the mistakes
on the first chip are maintained to insure old equipment and software
still works (A20 gate)) http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/A20.html

--
http://media.putfile.com/PurePwnage-WoWisafeeling