Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Question about cleaning LCD screen

Question about cleaning LCD screen

fourstriper

My DELL UltraSharp LCD monitor's manual explicitly says that alcohol
shouldn't be used to clean the LCD screen as it will damage the anti-glare
component of the screen. It suggested that only cleaners labeled as LCD
liquid cleaners be used.
I have purchased a spray on type 'LCD Screen' cleaning fluid ALTHOUGH IT
CONTAINS A TYPE OF ALCOHOL AS PER THE INGREDIENTS INDICATED ON THE BOTTLE.
I cannot recall what type of alcohol , but I recognized it as such given the
name and the "..ol" ending to the ingredient's name.

I am asking to help prevent me from damaging any glare or protective screen
layer. Do these cleaner's often have some type of alcohol - perhaps the
amount too is minute to matter (??)

I appreciate your response. Thank you.

the paddle

See:

http://www.klearscreen.com/

HTH

paddle

Whiskers

On 2006-05-26, fourstriper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My DELL UltraSharp LCD monitor's manual explicitly says that alcohol
> shouldn't be used to clean the LCD screen as it will damage the anti-glare
> component of the screen. It suggested that only cleaners labeled as LCD
> liquid cleaners be used.
> I have purchased a spray on type 'LCD Screen' cleaning fluid ALTHOUGH IT
> CONTAINS A TYPE OF ALCOHOL AS PER THE INGREDIENTS INDICATED ON THE BOTTLE.
> I cannot recall what type of alcohol , but I recognized it as such given the
> name and the "..ol" ending to the ingredient's name.
>
> I am asking to help prevent me from damaging any glare or protective screen
> layer. Do these cleaner's often have some type of alcohol - perhaps the
> amount too is minute to matter (??)
>
> I appreciate your response. Thank you.

I've only ever used a micro-fibre cloth (the sort with a flannel-like
texture); be very gentle. Use dry to dust off the loose stuff, and
slightly damp to remove stubborn marks.

Do make sure the cloth is grit-free before it gets anywhere near your
computer display.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

JANA

The alcohol content in the cleaner you bought is probably very diluted, and
thus very low.

We use a slightly dampened soft tissue with water only. Then the screen is
very gently wiped with a dry soft tissue to dry it off.

If you put any liquid on to any monitor screen, be sure that none of it runs
below in to the bezel. There are components in that area that can be easily
damaged.

--

JANA
_____

"fourstriper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RgIdg.2277$(E-Mail Removed).. .
My DELL UltraSharp LCD monitor's manual explicitly says that alcohol
shouldn't be used to clean the LCD screen as it will damage the anti-glare
component of the screen. It suggested that only cleaners labeled as LCD
liquid cleaners be used.
I have purchased a spray on type 'LCD Screen' cleaning fluid ALTHOUGH IT
CONTAINS A TYPE OF ALCOHOL AS PER THE INGREDIENTS INDICATED ON THE BOTTLE.
I cannot recall what type of alcohol , but I recognized it as such given the
name and the "..ol" ending to the ingredient's name.

I am asking to help prevent me from damaging any glare or protective screen
layer. Do these cleaner's often have some type of alcohol - perhaps the
amount too is minute to matter (??)

I appreciate your response. Thank you.

me

"fourstriper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RgIdg.2277$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> My DELL UltraSharp LCD monitor's manual explicitly says that alcohol
> shouldn't be used to clean the LCD screen as it will damage the anti-glare
> component of the screen. It suggested that only cleaners labeled as LCD
> liquid cleaners be used.
> I have purchased a spray on type 'LCD Screen' cleaning fluid ALTHOUGH IT
> CONTAINS A TYPE OF ALCOHOL AS PER THE INGREDIENTS INDICATED ON THE BOTTLE.
> I cannot recall what type of alcohol , but I recognized it as such given
> the name and the "..ol" ending to the ingredient's name.
>
> I am asking to help prevent me from damaging any glare or protective
> screen layer. Do these cleaner's often have some type of alcohol -
> perhaps the amount too is minute to matter (??)
>
> I appreciate your response. Thank you.

probably Isopropyl Alcohol,which is used also in head cleaning for VCR's
etc.

Meat Plow

On Fri, 26 May 2006 15:02:09 -0400, fourstriper wrote:

> My DELL UltraSharp LCD monitor's manual explicitly says that alcohol
> shouldn't be used to clean the LCD screen as it will damage the anti-glare
> component of the screen. It suggested that only cleaners labeled as LCD
> liquid cleaners be used.
> I have purchased a spray on type 'LCD Screen' cleaning fluid ALTHOUGH IT
> CONTAINS A TYPE OF ALCOHOL AS PER THE INGREDIENTS INDICATED ON THE BOTTLE.
> I cannot recall what type of alcohol , but I recognized it as such given the
> name and the "..ol" ending to the ingredient's name.
>
> I am asking to help prevent me from damaging any glare or protective screen
> layer. Do these cleaner's often have some type of alcohol - perhaps the
> amount too is minute to matter (??)
>
> I appreciate your response. Thank you.

I use a dab of Windex on a clean soft rag.

Martin

fourstriper wrote:
> My DELL UltraSharp LCD monitor's manual explicitly says that alcohol
> shouldn't be used to clean the LCD screen as it will damage the anti-glare
> component of the screen. It suggested that only cleaners labeled as LCD
> liquid cleaners be used.
> I have purchased a spray on type 'LCD Screen' cleaning fluid ALTHOUGH IT
> CONTAINS A TYPE OF ALCOHOL AS PER THE INGREDIENTS INDICATED ON THE BOTTLE.
> I cannot recall what type of alcohol , but I recognized it as such given the
> name and the "..ol" ending to the ingredient's name.
>
> I am asking to help prevent me from damaging any glare or protective screen
> layer. Do these cleaner's often have some type of alcohol - perhaps the
> amount too is minute to matter (??)
>
> I appreciate your response. Thank you.

I use a 50% mix of isopropyl alcohol and 50% pure water dampened on a
pure cotton cloth (not a paper kitchen towel made from wood).

If this strips your screen coating I am taking no responsibility for it.

I think the water will wipe off dust and water soluble stuff (coke
splats etc) the IPA dissolves any greasy finger prints.