Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Formatting on drive wiped out when testing another drive

Formatting on drive wiped out when testing another drive

David Maynard

John Doe wrote:
> David Maynard <nospam private.net> wrote:
>

>>Rod Speed wrote:

>>>Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.
>>>

>>But I am able to make new whole sentences.

> Even different sentences for the exact same reply.

I see it exceeded your comprehension abilities.

John Doe

David Maynard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> John Doe wrote:
>> David Maynard <nospam private.net> wrote:

>>>But I am able to make new whole sentences.

>> Even different sentences for the exact same reply.

> I see it exceeded your comprehension abilities.

To see you actually snip a couple hundred lines of useless text in
one of your replies above has me pleasantly baffled.

Good boy.

David Maynard

John Doe wrote:
> David Maynard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>John Doe wrote:

>>>Even different sentences for the exact same reply.

>>I see it exceeded your comprehension abilities.

> To see you actually snip a couple hundred lines of useless text in
> one of your replies above has me pleasantly baffled.
>
> Good boy.

Oh well, then it was all worth it.

Folkert Rienstra

"Ralph Wade Phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:4K6fg.33585$4H.28718@dukeread03
> "Folkert Rienstra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:447ca70f$0$14238$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> > "Ralph Wade Phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message> news:wkGeg.33425$4H.19174@dukeread03
> >
> > > XP will happily put the drive letter in the boot blocks for a FAT32 partition also,
> > > when it a) formats it or b) when you reassign the drive letters in Disk Management.

> > Oh? Never heard of that before. Any reference to that?
> > AFAIK only LDM records driveletter info outside of Windows registry and it's not
> > in the partition bootblocks.
> >

> I have a "mule" machine that I use for data recovery, virus scanning, et al.
>
> Its one FAT32 partition? Gets mapped as "E" in it, the other mule
> machine, or even on my girlfriend's laptop when I use a USB case to get
> access to it (a few large files that I really didn't want to waste a DVD for
> ... )

And this is to prove what exactly? (rhetorical question)

> > > HOWEVER - If that partition is formatted in a 9X OS, then UNTIL you
> > > touch it with Disk Manager, it stays in the "Oh, look - here's an open drive
> > > letter. Let's stuff it in there!" mode.

> > > Which *ahem* is what I said earlier.

> > You did? Must have missed that too.
> >

> I'd have to dig it out - but yes, I had mentioned that there are
> times that XP can enumerate just like 9X did.

> But the other methods DO take precedence ...

The "other" methods that you are still to give reference to .....

Since I made a stronger case in another branch which you chose to ignore
I'll assume that your drive letter writing to the partition boot blocks is
just as bogus as your BIOS drive letters.

> RwP

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"Folkert Rienstra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44880168$0$16233$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> "Ralph Wade Phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > "Folkert Rienstra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:447ca70f$0$14238$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> > > "Ralph Wade Phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message>

partition also,

Disk Management.

> > > Oh? Never heard of that before. Any reference to that?
> > > AFAIK only LDM records driveletter info outside of Windows registry

and it's not
> > > in the partition bootblocks.
> > >

> > I have a "mule" machine that I use for data recovery, virus

scanning, et al.

> > Its one FAT32 partition? Gets mapped as "E" in it, the other

mule
> > machine, or even on my girlfriend's laptop when I use a USB case to get
> > access to it (a few large files that I really didn't want to waste a DVD

for
> > ... )

> And this is to prove what exactly? (rhetorical question)

That, somehow, the other machines all recognize it as E:, even
without a D: present, EVEN THOUGH IT'S FAT32.

Praytell how does it do that if it's not in the partition boot
blocks?

Now, a Win9X box stuffs it in the next available drive letter. But
the XP boxes all presume it's E:, even with C: and W: as the only other
visible drives.

Not so rhetorical, is it?

UNTIL you

open drive

> > > You did? Must have missed that too.
> > >

> > I'd have to dig it out - but yes, I had mentioned that there are
> > times that XP can enumerate just like 9X did.

> > But the other methods DO take precedence ...

> The "other" methods that you are still to give reference to .....

Setting the drive letter in the registry or in the boot blocks of
the partition. Again, see my note about the FAT32 drive above. Until you
can explain to me how the machines miss "D:" for this drive (although normal
Win9X drives get D: on the same machines), I'd say that somewhere in the
partition boot block this info is written. Where else could it be written
for it to come up as E: on all those machines when first connected?

> Since I made a stronger case in another branch which you chose to ignore
> I'll assume that your drive letter writing to the partition boot blocks is
> just as bogus as your BIOS drive letters.

You know what assume is, don't you?

And I probably phrased that badly - it's how the BIOS enumerates the
primary partitions for those (which is about all I ever use nowadays), it's
up to the OS to handle the logical drives in the extended partitions.

And before you claim it doesn't - take a GOOD look at a machine that
supports booting off of USB, and has one of those multimedia card readers
attached. Stuff a bare drive in there, and install XP on it. Then tell me
what drive letter that first hard disk got, m'kay?

RwP