Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Formatting on drive wiped out when testing another drive

Formatting on drive wiped out when testing another drive

Rod Speed

ian field <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> I wanted to test some older small h/d's and (after powering down of
>> course) I detached one of my dvd drives and attached these drives to
>> the cable see what if anything was on them.
>>
>> Now, I find that the system is telling me my "D" drive that's on the
>> same cable as the one I was using to test these drives isn't
>> formatted (had been formatted as NTSF) and keeps asking me if I want
>> to format it. Apparently all the files on it are now inaccesible.
>>
>> I tried restoring the system to a previous day's configuration but
>> it's still giving me the same response.
>>
>> What could have caused this and do you see any way around
>> reformatting the drive? The files on it while not utterly crucial
>> will still be a huge pain to restore.
>>
>> Using WinXP Home SP 2.

> Maybe you forgot to check the Master/Slave jumper - if both drives on the same cable
> have the same jumper assignment, the 2 drives talk to each other instead of the
> controller -

No they dont.

> they usually end up getting into an argument and tear up each others part-table!!!

You can certainly get the partition table
corrupted that way, but not for that reason.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Rod Speed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

|>> Not sure if this helps but, if the second HD has an active partition
|>> it will show as D drive no matter how many partitions you have on the
|>> first HD.

|>Not with the NT/2K/XP family.

Nothing special about those OS's - you stick a second drive in with an
active partition and it's going to be D: drive (of course you can
change it in the diskmanager - but it will be D drive)

--
http://www.thekitchenoflove.com/kitchen/index.asp

Rod Speed

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> Not with the NT/2K/XP family.

> Nothing special about those OS's

Wrong, they allocate drive letters differently to the Win9x/ME family.

> - you stick a second drive in with an
> active partition and it's going to be D: drive

Wrong if there is already a partition with that letter being used.

> (of course you can change it in the diskmanager - but it will be D drive)

Wrong again. The drive letters are much more persistent with the NT/2K/XP family.

Dave

> If that is what happened, you wouldnt expect XP to be asking
> if it should be formatted since its already been formatted.

unless a partition had been removed

Rod Speed

Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Mike T. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>>> Oh boy. Ummmm . . . when swapping physical hard drives around, the logical (virtual)
>>> drives get swapped around by Windows.

>> No they dont with the NT/2K/XP family.

>>> So you've got to be careful in moving files around, formatting, etc., that you know
>>> which PHYSICAL drive you are working with. It's possible that you have accidentally
>>> formatted a physical drive that you didn't want to format, as it temporarily had a
>>> logical drive letter assigned to it that you THOUGHT was assigned to a physical drive
>>> that you did want to format.

>> If that is what happened, you wouldnt expect XP to be asking
>> if it should be formatted since its already been formatted.

> unless a partition had been removed

XP still doesnt say that when a drive has free space.

It only says that when it sees a corrupted partition table etc.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Rod Speed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

|>> Nothing special about those OS's
|>
|>Wrong, they allocate drive letters differently to the Win9x/ME family.
|>
|>> - you stick a second drive in with an
|>> active partition and it's going to be D: drive
|>
|>Wrong if there is already a partition with that letter being used.

HD0: if you have CDEF and add HD1 with active partition you will then
have CEF - HD1's first partition will take over D: and the rest of the
partitions follow F (GH..)

LIke shown at the very bottom of http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.php

|>> (of course you can change it in the diskmanager - but it will be D drive)
|>
|>Wrong again. The drive letters are much more persistent with the NT/2K/XP family.

--
http://www.thekitchenoflove.com/kitchen/index.asp

Rod Speed

(E-Mail Removed) wrote
> Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote

>>> Wrong, they allocate drive letters differently to the Win9x/ME family.

Gunna ignore that ? It aint gunna go away just because you ignore it.

>>> Wrong if there is already a partition with that letter being used.

> HD0: if you have CDEF and add HD1 with active partition
> you will then have CEF - HD1's first partition will take
> over D: and the rest of the partitions follow F (GH..)

Wrong with the NT/2K/XP family.

That only happens with the Win9x/ME family.

> LIke shown at the very bottom of http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.php

Pity about this bit right at the top
NOTE: I haven't yet comprehensively updated this article for Windows 2000/XP.

>>> Wrong again. The drive letters are much more persistent with the
>>> NT/2K/XP family.

David Maynard

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> |>Not with the NT/2K/XP family.
>
> Nothing special about those OS's

That is simply wrong, if you mean they operate like the Win9x family. The
NT line scans for and assigns the drive letters differently (which is one
reason why people sometimes discover their system drive is 'E:', or 'F:' or
whatever, instead of 'C:'), handles partitions differently, and drive
letter assignments are persistent regardless of where the physical drive is
located, or 'moved' to. I.E. If you have a partition labeled 'C:' on a
drive strapped as master on IDE0 it will still be 'C:' even if you move the
drive to IDE1, or change it to slave, and add another drive physically
'before' it.

In Win9X, the old 'C:' would become 'D:' and the new, 'physically before
it' partition would be 'C:' because Win9x scans for and assigns drive
letters on every boot.

Take a simple 1 partition per drive, two drives, master and slave on IDE0
and say one is 200gig and the other 100gig, to distinguish them:

Original configuration Physically swap master/slave

Drive 200gig 100gig 100gig 200gig
Master Slave Master Slave
Win9X C: D: C: D:
WinXP C: D: D: C:

And that's 'something special' because if you decide to format 'drive D:'
you get dramatically different results.

> - you stick a second drive in with an
> active partition and it's going to be D: drive (of course you can
> change it in the diskmanager - but it will be D drive)

Not necessarily because, for one, the system partition might not be 'C:'.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Rod Speed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>> HD0: if you have CDEF and add HD1 with active partition
|>> you will then have CEF - HD1's first partition will take
|>> over D: and the rest of the partitions follow F (GH..)

|>Wrong with the NT/2K/XP family.
|>
|>That only happens with the Win9x/ME family.

|>> LIke shown at the very bottom of http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.php

|>Pity about this bit right at the top
|>NOTE: I haven't yet comprehensively updated this article for Windows 2000/XP.

Whatever, I've run into this with both NT and W2K,

--
http://www.thekitchenoflove.com/kitchen/index.asp

Rod Speed

(E-Mail Removed) wrote
> Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>>> Wrong with the NT/2K/XP family.

>>> That only happens with the Win9x/ME family.

>>> Pity about this bit right at the top
>>> NOTE: I haven't yet comprehensively updated this article for
>>> Windows 2000/XP.

> Whatever, I've run into this with both NT and W2K,

No you havent. You're just attempting to bullshit
your way out of your predicament now.