Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 256 + 256 = 384 !!??!

256 + 256 = 384 !!??!

Ike

Daughter's Compaq Presario notebook uses common PC2700 DDR memory. It
came with 256MB, and is supposed to recognize up to 1GB. "My computer"
said 256MB.

I installed a similar stick, also 256MB. Now, "My Computer" says 384MB.
I pulled them, swapped, checked to ensure they're properly inserted, etc.

Still 256+256=512

?? Something in bios? Faulty memory? Bad luck?

Thanks, gurus

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Ike wrote:
> Daughter's Compaq Presario notebook uses common PC2700 DDR memory. It
> came with 256MB, and is supposed to recognize up to 1GB. "My computer"
> said 256MB.
>
> I installed a similar stick, also 256MB. Now, "My Computer" says 384MB.
> I pulled them, swapped, checked to ensure they're properly inserted, etc.
>
> Still 256+256=512
>
> ?? Something in bios? Faulty memory? Bad luck?

Does anything point to the fact that you've got 128MB of **** committed
to video?

Jerry Attic

Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> said in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> Ike wrote:
>> Daughter's Compaq Presario notebook uses common PC2700 DDR memory. It
>> came with 256MB, and is supposed to recognize up to 1GB. "My
>> computer" said 256MB.
>>
>> I installed a similar stick, also 256MB. Now, "My Computer" says
>> 384MB. I pulled them, swapped, checked to ensure they're properly
>> inserted, etc.
>>
>> Still 256+256=512
>>
>> ?? Something in bios? Faulty memory? Bad luck?

> Does anything point to the fact that you've got 128MB of ****
> committed to video?

More likely it could be the computer only being able to recognize only
half of the DIMM due to some high density issue. High Density PC133 RAM
would only have half of it recognized in older machines that took the
older lower Density stuff.

Joel

ok seriously your bois is set up to allocate 128 megs of ram for video, its
on board and they don't install the ram extra... so 256 + 256 - (128 for
video) = 384... if you don't beileve it take out one stick of 256 and boot
up it will show 128 megs of ram...

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Joel spewed forth:
> ok seriously your bois is set up to allocate 128 megs of ram for
> video, its on board and they don't install the ram extra... so 256 +
> 256 - (128 for video) = 384... if you don't beileve it take out one
> stick of 256 and boot up it will show 128 megs of ram...

Reading Comprehension 101: he said in his original post (which you stupidly
failed to include) that the original 256 showed 256 in "My Computer".

Jerry Attic

"Joel" <(E-Mail Removed)> said in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> ok seriously your bois is set up to allocate 128 megs of ram for
> video, its on board and they don't install the ram extra... so 256 +
> 256 - (128 for video) = 384... if you don't beileve it take out one
> stick of 256 and boot up it will show 128 megs of ram...

If you read the post correctly, he said before he put the new stick in,
when it booted up it showed 256 megs of RAM. Unless he went into the BIOS
and allocated more memory to be shared, I doubt it would automatically do
so by itself. Further more, if this laptop had been sharing memory with the
graphics adapter, when you booted it up, it would've shown a deficit in a
multiple of 4,8,16,32,etc.

Neener

Jerry Attic

"Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> said in
news:T69dg.593$(E-Mail Removed):

> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> Joel spewed forth:
>> ok seriously your bois is set up to allocate 128 megs of ram for
>> video, its on board and they don't install the ram extra... so 256 +
>> 256 - (128 for video) = 384... if you don't beileve it take out one
>> stick of 256 and boot up it will show 128 megs of ram...

> Reading Comprehension 101: he said in his original post (which you
> stupidly failed to include) that the original 256 showed 256 in "My
> Computer".

You tell him, Toolbelt.... Snippy little **** that he is.

Ike

It's a quite new notebook, so perhaps it's a smart and opportunistic
BIOS that saw the extra memory and grabbed what it could. But it will
never be used for gaming or other functions where a lot of video memory
is needed. Will someone really smart tell me how to get into it and
limit the video allocation to something reasonable, like 32 or 64MB?

Thanks!

Ron Martell

Ike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Daughter's Compaq Presario notebook uses common PC2700 DDR memory. It
>came with 256MB, and is supposed to recognize up to 1GB. "My computer"
>said 256MB.
>
>I installed a similar stick, also 256MB. Now, "My Computer" says 384MB.
>I pulled them, swapped, checked to ensure they're properly inserted, etc.
>
>Still 256+256=512
>
>?? Something in bios? Faulty memory? Bad luck?
>
>Thanks, gurus

Is the original memory removable? If so then take it out and try the
computer with just your "new" 256 mb module installed. What does it
show for memory in Windows?

If it shows only 128 mb then the problem is with your "new" memory
stick.

If it shows 256 mb then put the original 256 mb back in and see what
happens.

If that results in the 384 mb memory being reported again then use
Start - Run - MSCONFIG and go to the BOOT.INI tab. Click on the
Advanced Options button. Make sure that the checkbox for the
"/MAXMEM=" line is clear and that there is no value in the data box
for this line.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Ron Martell wrote:
> Ike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Daughter's Compaq Presario notebook uses common PC2700 DDR memory. It
>>came with 256MB, and is supposed to recognize up to 1GB. "My computer"
>>said 256MB.
>>
>>I installed a similar stick, also 256MB. Now, "My Computer" says 384MB.
>>I pulled them, swapped, checked to ensure they're properly inserted, etc.
>>
>>Still 256+256=512
>>
>>?? Something in bios? Faulty memory? Bad luck?
>>
>>Thanks, gurus

> Is the original memory removable? If so then take it out and try the
> computer with just your "new" 256 mb module installed. What does it
> show for memory in Windows?
>
> If it shows only 128 mb then the problem is with your "new" memory
> stick.
>
> If it shows 256 mb then put the original 256 mb back in and see what
> happens.
>
> If that results in the 384 mb memory being reported again then use
> Start - Run - MSCONFIG and go to the BOOT.INI tab. Click on the
> Advanced Options button. Make sure that the checkbox for the
> "/MAXMEM=" line is clear and that there is no value in the data box
> for this line.

Is it true what gangle says about you?

How Many VarBinary for each Ascii Char Aes Encrypted KeySize=256,BlockSize=256 Phil C. ASP .Net Security 3 02-25-2005 04:28 PM
Server Application Unavailable / aspnet_wp.exe (PID: 384) stopped unexpectedly. Erik Lindeblom ASP .Net 2 01-13-2005 08:03 AM
RAM 256+128=384? kev Computer Support 2 11-15-2003 05:27 PM
TRADE 256 Compact Flash and Reader for 256 SD Jim Spencer Digital Photography 3 10-10-2003 09:51 PM
Calloc of "unsigned char my_bytes[256][256]" M-One C Programming 43 07-16-2003 09:47 PM

Advertisments