Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hard Drive replacement.

Hard Drive replacement.

I am concerned a now ex-boyfriend may have left something "naughty" on my
pc. I want to have the HD changed but I do not want to lose any of my
programs/documents. Is it possible to have just programs/documents tranfered
to a new HD without any of the suspected nonsense transfering too?

philo

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:e52om9$ref$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am concerned a now ex-boyfriend may have left something "naughty" on my
> pc. I want to have the HD changed but I do not want to lose any of my
> programs/documents. Is it possible to have just programs/documents

tranfered
> to a new HD without any of the suspected nonsense transfering too?

All you need do is backup your data,
format the drive and reinstall your operating system...
then restore your data.

The easy way would be to simply do a drive search and delete the unwanted
"data"

Also clear your internet cache and temp files

John Holmes

blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> I am concerned a now ex-boyfriend may have left something "naughty" on
> my pc. I want to have the HD changed but I do not want to lose any of
> my programs/documents. Is it possible to have just programs/documents
> tranfered to a new HD without any of the suspected nonsense
> transfering too?

The answer is no. What if "he" left something in your
programs,documents,or settings? Format, reinstall and don't let any of
your boyfriends near your computer anymore.

--
Your mother was an infuriating block of concrete who served a life
sentence near a rubber factory.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:e52om9$ref$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am concerned a now ex-boyfriend may have left something "naughty" on my
>> pc. I want to have the HD changed but I do not want to lose any of my
>> programs/documents. Is it possible to have just programs/documents

> tranfered
>> to a new HD without any of the suspected nonsense transfering too?
>>

> All you need do is backup your data,
> format the drive and reinstall your operating system...
> then restore your data.
>
> The easy way would be to simply do a drive search and delete the unwanted
> "data"
>
> Also clear your internet cache and temp files

I do not wish to do that. Can I just get a chap to transfer my
programs/documents straight onto a new HD without the junk following on
during the transfer?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

> I am concerned a now ex-boyfriend may have left something "naughty" on my
> pc. I want to have the HD changed but I do not want to lose any of my
> programs/documents. Is it possible to have just programs/documents tranfered
> to a new HD without any of the suspected nonsense transfering too?

There's no program that will go through all of the files on your drive
and remove naughty files but leave the good ones. I'm not sure what you
mean by naughty, but let's assume it's pictures. Click on Start then
Search and look for "Pictures, Music or Video". Click on Advanced Search
and then More Advanced Options and choose to look in hidden files and
folders and also system files and folders. Delete the ones you don't
want to keep.

If the naughty files are word documents do the same thing but look for
..doc files, etc. In other words, no automatic way is available. But with
just a little clicking of the mouse you can remove everything yourself.

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I am concerned a now ex-boyfriend may have left something "naughty" on my
>> pc. I want to have the HD changed but I do not want to lose any of my
>> programs/documents. Is it possible to have just programs/documents
>> tranfered to a new HD without any of the suspected nonsense transfering
>> too?

> There's no program that will go through all of the files on your drive and
> remove naughty files but leave the good ones. I'm not sure what you mean
> by naughty, but let's assume it's pictures. Click on Start then Search and
> look for "Pictures, Music or Video". Click on Advanced Search and then
> More Advanced Options and choose to look in hidden files and folders and
> also system files and folders. Delete the ones you don't want to keep.
>
> If the naughty files are word documents do the same thing but look for
> .doc files, etc. In other words, no automatic way is available. But with
> just a little clicking of the mouse you can remove everything yourself.

I am pretty certain he hasn't "planted" anything intentionally and I don't
have the time or knowledge to do anything myself. I just want my programs
transfered to a new HD and no footprints left showing where he may have been
looking or what he may have written. If necessary I will dump my documents
or keep them on line in a gmail account. Can that be done?

Mitch

In article <e52om9$ref$(E-Mail Removed)>, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am concerned a now ex-boyfriend may have left something "naughty" on my
> pc. I want to have the HD changed but I do not want to lose any of my
> programs/documents. Is it possible to have just programs/documents tranfered
> to a new HD without any of the suspected nonsense transfering too?

To do what you asked, you'd have to know either what he put on or where
he put it -- that is the only way.
If you are going to transfer programs and files, what is protecting you
from moving the malware? Only knowledge.

You need to use protection -- if you use Windows, that means a
firewall, anti-virus, and anti-spyware tools. All three -- at the very
least. You needed them from day one, and you always will.

After running stuff like that, you can try backing up files and maybe
reinstalling the OS and apps, but if you think there is something else
on the drive you can't just copy stuff over and figure the malware
might not get copied -- it almost certainly would get copied.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>>I am concerned a now ex-boyfriend may have left something "naughty" on my
>>>pc. I want to have the HD changed but I do not want to lose any of my
>>>programs/documents. Is it possible to have just programs/documents
>>>tranfered to a new HD without any of the suspected nonsense transfering
>>>too?

>>There's no program that will go through all of the files on your drive and
>>remove naughty files but leave the good ones. I'm not sure what you mean
>>by naughty, but let's assume it's pictures. Click on Start then Search and
>>look for "Pictures, Music or Video". Click on Advanced Search and then
>>More Advanced Options and choose to look in hidden files and folders and
>>also system files and folders. Delete the ones you don't want to keep.
>>
>>If the naughty files are word documents do the same thing but look for
>>.doc files, etc. In other words, no automatic way is available. But with
>>just a little clicking of the mouse you can remove everything yourself.

> I am pretty certain he hasn't "planted" anything intentionally and I don't
> have the time or knowledge to do anything myself. I just want my programs
> transfered to a new HD and no footprints left showing where he may have been
> looking or what he may have written. If necessary I will dump my documents
> or keep them on line in a gmail account. Can that be done?

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you've gone completely
insane. Don't worry, it's happened to the best of us, but you need to be
aware.

"Mitch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:240520061328239944%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <e52om9$ref$(E-Mail Removed)>, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I am concerned a now ex-boyfriend may have left something "naughty" on my
>> pc. I want to have the HD changed but I do not want to lose any of my
>> programs/documents. Is it possible to have just programs/documents
>> tranfered
>> to a new HD without any of the suspected nonsense transfering too?
>>

> To do what you asked, you'd have to know either what he put on or where
> he put it -- that is the only way.
> If you are going to transfer programs and files, what is protecting you
> from moving the malware? Only knowledge.
>
> You need to use protection -- if you use Windows, that means a
> firewall, anti-virus, and anti-spyware tools. All three -- at the very
> least. You needed them from day one, and you always will.
>
> After running stuff like that, you can try backing up files and maybe
> reinstalling the OS and apps, but if you think there is something else
> on the drive you can't just copy stuff over and figure the malware
> might not get copied -- it almost certainly would get copied.

Cannot my programs be transfered via a memory stick thingy onto a newly
formated OS?

John Holmes

Rgr blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>There's no program that will go through all of the files on your
>>>drive and remove naughty files but leave the good ones. I'm not sure
>>>what you mean by naughty, but let's assume it's pictures. Click on
>>>Start then Search and look for "Pictures, Music or Video". Click on
>>>hidden files and folders and also system files and folders. Delete
>>>the ones you don't want to keep.
>>>
>>>If the naughty files are word documents do the same thing but look
>>>for .doc files, etc. In other words, no automatic way is available.
>>>But with just a little clicking of the mouse you can remove
>>>everything yourself.

>> I am pretty certain he hasn't "planted" anything intentionally and I
>> don't have the time or knowledge to do anything myself. I just want
>> my programs transfered to a new HD and no footprints left showing
>> where he may have been looking or what he may have written. If
>> necessary I will dump my documents or keep them on line in a gmail
>> account. Can that be done?

> I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you've gone completely
> insane. Don't worry, it's happened to the best of us, but you need to
> be aware.

PSML!!

--
Your mother was a crazed toilet cleaner who was so incompetent she had to
be kept on a coca plantation near Bogota.