Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't read from CD Drive -Why?

Can't read from CD Drive -Why?

ARADURS

Any help appreciated...

Wish to replace a printer driver on my old non-internet Windows 98 pc.

Using a Windows XP PC have downloaded the appropriate driver from Hewlett
Packard printer..then copied it onto a CD-RW by dragging and dropping the HP
file onto the CD drive icon...all ok and this file can be viewed ok when
loaded onto another XP machine.

However, when inserting the CD into the CD drive of the W98 pc get the
message:-

E is not accessible. The driver is not ready!

Don't know why or how to sort this.

Thanks, Dave
------------------

Gordon

ARADURS wrote:

> Any help appreciated...
>
> Wish to replace a printer driver on my old non-internet Windows 98 pc.
>
> Using a Windows XP PC have downloaded the appropriate driver from Hewlett
> Packard printer..then copied it onto a CD-RW by dragging and dropping the
> HP file onto the CD drive icon...all ok and this file can be viewed ok
> when loaded onto another XP machine.
>
> However, when inserting the CD into the CD drive of the W98 pc get the
> message:-
>
> E is not accessible. The driver is not ready!
>
> Don't know why or how to sort this.
>
> Thanks, Dave
> ------------------

AFAIK you won't be able to until you finalise the CD.

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

dadiOH

ARADURS wrote:
> Any help appreciated...
>
> Wish to replace a printer driver on my old non-internet Windows 98 pc.
>
> Using a Windows XP PC have downloaded the appropriate driver from
> Hewlett Packard printer..then copied it onto a CD-RW by dragging and
> dropping the HP file onto the CD drive icon...all ok and this file
> can be viewed ok when loaded onto another XP machine.
>
> However, when inserting the CD into the CD drive of the W98 pc get the
> message:-
>
> E is not accessible. The driver is not ready!
>
> Don't know why or how to sort this.

A. Get a packet reader for the Win98 machine; eg...
http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc...atesv4_2.jhtml

- OR -

B. Write the disc on your XP machine with a mastering program rather than
drag & drop packets

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

ARADURS

news(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> ARADURS wrote:
>
>> Any help appreciated...
>>
>> Wish to replace a printer driver on my old non-internet Windows 98 pc.
>>
>> Using a Windows XP PC have downloaded the appropriate driver from Hewlett
>> Packard printer..then copied it onto a CD-RW by dragging and dropping the
>> HP file onto the CD drive icon...all ok and this file can be viewed ok
>> when loaded onto another XP machine.
>>
>> However, when inserting the CD into the CD drive of the W98 pc get the
>> message:-
>>
>> E is not accessible. The driver is not ready!
>>
>> Don't know why or how to sort this.
>>
>> Thanks, Dave
>> ------------------

> AFAIK you won't be able to until you finalise the CD.
>---------------------------------

Can you explain a bit...whsat do you mean? Thanks

ARADURS

"dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> ARADURS wrote:
>> Any help appreciated...
>>
>> Wish to replace a printer driver on my old non-internet Windows 98 pc.
>>
>> Using a Windows XP PC have downloaded the appropriate driver from
>> Hewlett Packard printer..then copied it onto a CD-RW by dragging and
>> dropping the HP file onto the CD drive icon...all ok and this file
>> can be viewed ok when loaded onto another XP machine.
>>
>> However, when inserting the CD into the CD drive of the W98 pc get the
>> message:-
>>
>> E is not accessible. The driver is not ready!
>>
>> Don't know why or how to sort this.

> A. Get a packet reader for the Win98 machine; eg...
> http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc...atesv4_2.jhtml
>
> - OR -
>
> B. Write the disc on your XP machine with a mastering program rather than
> drag & drop packets

--------------------------------------
Ah...I see now.
Anyone know of a free - or at least free to try prog Mastering Program?
Thanks.
------------

Helen

ARADURS wrote:
> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>> ARADURS wrote:
>>
>>> Any help appreciated...
>>>
>>> Wish to replace a printer driver on my old non-internet Windows 98
>>> pc. Using a Windows XP PC have downloaded the appropriate driver from
>>> Hewlett Packard printer..then copied it onto a CD-RW by dragging
>>> and dropping the HP file onto the CD drive icon...all ok and this
>>> file can be viewed ok when loaded onto another XP machine.
>>>
>>> However, when inserting the CD into the CD drive of the W98 pc get
>>> the message:-
>>>
>>> E is not accessible. The driver is not ready!
>>>
>>> Don't know why or how to sort this.
>>>
>>> Thanks, Dave
>>> ------------------

>> AFAIK you won't be able to until you finalise the CD.
>> ---------------------------------

> Can you explain a bit...whsat do you mean? Thanks

When a CD is 'burned' it must be closed in order for you to read it later.
If you are using a CD-R, it's toast unless you close (finalize) it. If if there
is only one song on it, it must be closed to hear it. Most software does
this automatically unless you have a program that allows you to NOT CLOSE
by choice. As Roxio's DirectCD used to provide. If you are using a CD-RW
which you can write to later, it's ok to not close it until it is full. Of course it
too must be finalized to be read from later.

HTH
Helen

GreenieLeBrun

ARADURS wrote:
> "dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > ARADURS wrote:
> >> Any help appreciated...
> >>
> >> Wish to replace a printer driver on my old non-internet Windows 98 pc.
> >>
> >> Using a Windows XP PC have downloaded the appropriate driver from
> >> Hewlett Packard printer..then copied it onto a CD-RW by dragging and
> >> dropping the HP file onto the CD drive icon...all ok and this file
> >> can be viewed ok when loaded onto another XP machine.
> >>
> >> However, when inserting the CD into the CD drive of the W98 pc get the
> >> message:-
> >>
> >> E is not accessible. The driver is not ready!
> >>
> >> Don't know why or how to sort this.

> > A. Get a packet reader for the Win98 machine; eg...
> > http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc...atesv4_2.jhtml
> >
> > - OR -
> >
> > B. Write the disc on your XP machine with a mastering program rather than
> > drag & drop packets

> --------------------------------------
> Ah...I see now.
> Anyone know of a free - or at least free to try prog Mastering Program?
> Thanks.
> ------------

Look at CDBurnerXP Pro (http://www.cdburnerxp.se/)

ARADURS

OK, Great thanks, D
-------------------------
"GreenieLeBrun" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> ARADURS wrote:
>> "dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> > A. Get a packet reader for the Win98 machine; eg...
>> > http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc...atesv4_2.jhtml
>> >
>> > - OR -
>> >
>> > B. Write the disc on your XP machine with a mastering program rather
>> > than
>> > drag & drop packets

>> --------------------------------------
>> Ah...I see now.
>> Anyone know of a free - or at least free to try prog Mastering Program?
>> Thanks.
>> ------------

> Look at CDBurnerXP Pro (http://www.cdburnerxp.se/)

Barry OGrady

On Tue, 23 May 2006 18:48:23 +0100, "ARADURS" <DS@NOMAIL> wrote:

>Any help appreciated...
>
>Wish to replace a printer driver on my old non-internet Windows 98 pc.
>
>Using a Windows XP PC have downloaded the appropriate driver from Hewlett
>Packard printer..then copied it onto a CD-RW by dragging and dropping the HP
>file onto the CD drive icon...all ok and this file can be viewed ok when
>loaded onto another XP machine.
>
>However, when inserting the CD into the CD drive of the W98 pc get the
>message:-
>
> E is not accessible. The driver is not ready!
>
>Don't know why or how to sort this.

You should use a cd burner program.

>Thanks, Dave

Barry