Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Is it possible to save HD on a commercial server?

Is it possible to save HD on a commercial server?

turtill@hotmail.com

On Sun, 21 May 2006 23:14:36 +0100, "Deano" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>As for the operating system I would make a note of the model of the PC and
>components and take an image of the C drive. You could restore that onto a
>similar PC and get it working again with some tweaks.
>
>BTW if you're worried about the PC getting stolen it might be worthwhile
>thinking about securing your data so it can't be easily read by an
>unauthorised user.

You may have gathered from my latest posts the *burglars* have
authority to access anything they grab.
pete

--
http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

Deano

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 21 May 2006 23:14:36 +0100, "Deano" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >As for the operating system I would make a note of the model of the PC

and
> >components and take an image of the C drive. You could restore that onto

> >similar PC and get it working again with some tweaks.
> >
> >BTW if you're worried about the PC getting stolen it might be worthwhile
> >thinking about securing your data so it can't be easily read by an
> >unauthorised user.

> You may have gathered from my latest posts the *burglars* have
> authority to access anything they grab.
> pete
>
> --
> http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

Then swap in a new hard disk, do a basic install of Windows and don't create
any sensitive data on it. Then store the old hard disk somewhere secure.

turtill@hotmail.com

On Sun, 21 May 2006 23:15:02 +0100, Flying Rat <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, says...
>> Do any companies offer facilities to hold all a HD on a remote server
>> in case a computer was stolen? Is it possible to have the entire
>> contents of ones box stored elsewhere?

>quite a few companies do it, XDrive being probably the most well known
>
>http://www.xdrive.com/
>
>I know from your previous posts you don't like it, but Google's GMail
>can be configured to use as an online hard disk too. There's a bit of
>software out there which turns it into the GMail Drive
>
>There are plenty of online backup services available. It's mainly
>commercial operations which use them but there are others for
>individuals. Lycos do a 300MB online drive facility free with their
>email accounts, more if you pay for it.

Hi FR, I will use google and gmail if it works. I have a 80 HD but I
don't know if that is GB or MBs. I am being gagged with the threat of
my computers being seized if I do not keep quiet. I want to know if I
can store everything on GMail and that includes my programs such as
paid for newsreaders and Zone Alarm, in fact the whole computer. Can
it be dome FR?
pete

--
http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

turtill@hotmail.com

On Mon, 22 May 2006 00:13:05 +0100, "Deano" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sun, 21 May 2006 23:14:36 +0100, "Deano" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >As for the operating system I would make a note of the model of the PC

>and
>> >components and take an image of the C drive. You could restore that onto

>> >similar PC and get it working again with some tweaks.
>> >
>> >BTW if you're worried about the PC getting stolen it might be worthwhile
>> >thinking about securing your data so it can't be easily read by an
>> >unauthorised user.

>> You may have gathered from my latest posts the *burglars* have
>> authority to access anything they grab.
>> pete
>>
>> --
>> http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

>Then swap in a new hard disk, do a basic install of Windows and don't create
>any sensitive data on it. Then store the old hard disk somewhere secure.

That would mean concealing stuff and I have no wish to obstruct the
course of justice but I do want to preserve what I have for my own
benefit. I have nothing to hide and I do not like being bullied into a
self imposed gag.
pete

--
http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

Deano

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 22 May 2006 00:13:05 +0100, "Deano" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> ><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

> >and

onto

worthwhile

> >> You may have gathered from my latest posts the *burglars* have
> >> authority to access anything they grab.
> >> pete
> >>
> >> --
> >> http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

> >Then swap in a new hard disk, do a basic install of Windows and don't

create
> >any sensitive data on it. Then store the old hard disk somewhere secure.

> That would mean concealing stuff and I have no wish to obstruct the
> course of justice but I do want to preserve what I have for my own
> benefit. I have nothing to hide and I do not like being bullied into a
> self imposed gag.
> pete

Fair enough. If you are talking about creating an offsite backup of your
entire hard disk using an online service then that's a bit tricky in my
opinion. I'm assuming you have an 80 gigabyte hard disk unless your PC is
really old. Moving 80 GB across the net is not going to be quick and I'm
not sure who would provide that amount of space and if so, at what cost.

You could image the disk which should allow you to compress it and burn it
to DVD. I would restore this a similarly specified PC else you would have
alot of work to do re drivers etc.

What I tend to do is to create an image of my computer onto my external hard
disk. The data partition is also backed up in this way.

turtill@hotmail.com

On Sun, 21 May 2006 19:01:54 -0400, "Rhonda Lea Kirk"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Do any companies offer facilities to hold all a HD on a remote server
>> in case a computer was stolen? Is it possible to have the entire
>> contents of ones box stored elsewhere?
>> pete

>This company turned up on one of the Microsoft groups when one of its
>users decided to misunderstand the terms of the referral program (i.e.,
>he thought he could get away with spamming). I have since had
>correspondence with (and researched) one of the principles--Josh
>Coates--and he has a long-term good reputation in the community.
>
>You get two gigabytes of storage free, and the cost for additional space
>is reasonable. Here is the URL (without a referral link, because I don't
>use this or any other online backup service):
>
>https://mozy.com/
>
>This program is still in beta, so you should understand the potential
>consequences of using a beta program. And although this is a legitimate
>service which takes every precaution about securing your data, you
>should realize that the minute you start sending your information out
>over the net, there is a risk involved.
>
>You need to be aware that your agreement with Berkeley Systems includes
>one piece of advertising email weekly. Other than that, however, there
>is no other catch known to me, and the program itself is free of
>spyware.
>
>I know this program has gotten high marks from at least one of the
>personal computer magazines. You can google for that and any additional
>information.

Thanks Rhonda but I tried it and it does not allow enough capacity for
what I need.
pete
--
http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

turtill@hotmail.com

On Mon, 22 May 2006 00:36:08 +0100, "Deano" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Fair enough. If you are talking about creating an offsite backup of your
>entire hard disk using an online service then that's a bit tricky in my
>opinion. I'm assuming you have an 80 gigabyte hard disk unless your PC is
>really old. Moving 80 GB across the net is not going to be quick and I'm
>not sure who would provide that amount of space and if so, at what cost.
>
>You could image the disk which should allow you to compress it and burn it
>to DVD. I would restore this a similarly specified PC else you would have
>alot of work to do re drivers etc.
>
>What I tend to do is to create an image of my computer onto my external hard
>disk. The data partition is also backed up in this way.

If I stand my ground and the burglars call they will take everything
in the house pertaining to computers. I do have a 80 gigbytre HD and
it is 60% used
pete

--
http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

Rhonda Lea Kirk

> Thanks Rhonda but I tried it and it does not allow enough capacity for
> what I need.
> pete

I'm sorry.

You can pay for additional storage, you know. Most of the online
companies providing this service for businesses charge quite a bit more,
so I don't think you're going to do better pricewise. I have to say,
however, that it has been some time since I looked at what other
companies had to offer, so it may be that the costs of such storage have
changed.

As for your concern, I don't think you have a concern. I don't know who
told you that your computers are going to be confiscated, but I've
looked (briefly) at your blog, and if that's the issue, I don't think
anyone will have much luck trying to confiscate anything.

Just make sure you have good antivirus and spyware protection and a good
firewall. Someone looney could try to hurt you that way, but I unless
you're robbing banks in your spare time, no one will be taking your
computer.

People make a lot of threats on the net, Pete, but most of those people
are powerless to carry them through.

Don't buy into this kind of harrassment, okay?

rl

P.S. A lot of what's on your hard drive is the operating system and
programs. It isn't an absolute necessity to back those up. You need to
back up your data, because that's what can't be replaced, so it is
likely that you don't need as much space as you think you do.
--
Rhonda Lea Kirk

You must be the change you wish to see
in the world. Mohandas K. Gandhi

old man

Just google for off site backups.
There are a plethera of companies offering this, however you pay/gb
Usually you only backup data. I use Ibackup.com and pay for 10gb which I use
for data.
Probably your cheapest method if you wish to backup your entire PC, would be
to purchasing an Imaging app, eg Acronis True Image to image your entire
system to another hd, store this hd with your Lawyer then create offsite
databackups. Then assuming only data is updated your good to go.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 21 May 2006 19:01:54 -0400, "Rhonda Lea Kirk"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >> Do any companies offer facilities to hold all a HD on a remote server
> >> in case a computer was stolen? Is it possible to have the entire
> >> contents of ones box stored elsewhere?
> >> pete

> >This company turned up on one of the Microsoft groups when one of its
> >users decided to misunderstand the terms of the referral program (i.e.,
> >he thought he could get away with spamming). I have since had
> >correspondence with (and researched) one of the principles--Josh
> >Coates--and he has a long-term good reputation in the community.
> >
> >You get two gigabytes of storage free, and the cost for additional space
> >is reasonable. Here is the URL (without a referral link, because I don't
> >use this or any other online backup service):
> >
> >https://mozy.com/
> >
> >This program is still in beta, so you should understand the potential
> >consequences of using a beta program. And although this is a legitimate
> >service which takes every precaution about securing your data, you
> >should realize that the minute you start sending your information out
> >over the net, there is a risk involved.
> >
> >You need to be aware that your agreement with Berkeley Systems includes
> >one piece of advertising email weekly. Other than that, however, there
> >is no other catch known to me, and the program itself is free of
> >spyware.
> >
> >I know this program has gotten high marks from at least one of the
> >personal computer magazines. You can google for that and any additional
> >information.

> Thanks Rhonda but I tried it and it does not allow enough capacity for
> what I need.
> pete
> --
> http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

turtill@hotmail.com

On Sun, 21 May 2006 20:32:05 -0400, "Rhonda Lea Kirk"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Thanks Rhonda but I tried it and it does not allow enough capacity for
>> what I need.
>> pete

>I'm sorry.
>
>You can pay for additional storage, you know. Most of the online
>companies providing this service for businesses charge quite a bit more,
>so I don't think you're going to do better pricewise. I have to say,
>however, that it has been some time since I looked at what other
>companies had to offer, so it may be that the costs of such storage have
>changed.
>
>As for your concern, I don't think you have a concern. I don't know who
>told you that your computers are going to be confiscated, but I've
>looked (briefly) at your blog, and if that's the issue, I don't think
>anyone will have much luck trying to confiscate anything.
>
>Just make sure you have good antivirus and spyware protection and a good
>firewall. Someone looney could try to hurt you that way, but I unless
>you're robbing banks in your spare time, no one will be taking your
>computer.
>
>People make a lot of threats on the net, Pete, but most of those people
>are powerless to carry them through.
>
>Don't buy into this kind of harrassment, okay?
>
>rl
>
>P.S. A lot of what's on your hard drive is the operating system and
>programs. It isn't an absolute necessity to back those up. You need to
>back up your data, because that's what can't be replaced, so it is
>likely that you don't need as much space as you think you do.

Thanks Rhonda but it is the police who are harassing me. I guess I
will have to buy some more space
pete

--
http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/