Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Big Problem

Big Problem

yakis

Hi every one,
I was helping a friend to set up her printer, her pc is running with WIndows
Home SP2.
While I was in the wizard driver installation, the wizard window froze up,
showed only blank screen. Funny thing was, I could saved up all my opened
files and could click the Restart button.
When the pc retarted, it got to the point after reading the Video card and
it showed a very strange screen with these on it:

Award Medallion Bios v6.0, An Energy Star Ally
Copyright(c) 1984-2001, Award Software, Inc
Asus Athlon(TM) XP 1800+
Memory Test : 262144K OK
Award Plug and Play Bios Extension v1.0A
Initialize Plug and Play cards........
PNP INIT Completed
Trend ChipAwayVirus(R) on Guard
Detecting Primary Master.....Maxtor 6E030L0
Detecting Primary Slave.......none
Detecting Secondary Master.....MATSHITA DVD-ROM SR-8583
Detecting Secondary Slave.......NEC DVD-RW ND-1300A
---

That's it, the dash line just kept blinking, I waited for a long time, still
nothing happened, so I switch the pc off and switch it on again after a few
minutes, the same thing happened, it did noe react to any keyboard key.

Please help,
jakis

Trax

"yakis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Hi every one,
|>I was helping a friend to set up her printer, her pc is running with WIndows
|>Home SP2.
|>While I was in the wizard driver installation, the wizard window froze up,
|>showed only blank screen. Funny thing was, I could saved up all my opened
|>files and could click the Restart button.
|>When the pc retarted, it got to the point after reading the Video card and
|>it showed a very strange screen with these on it:
|>
|>Award Medallion Bios v6.0, An Energy Star Ally
|>Copyright(c) 1984-2001, Award Software, Inc
|>Asus Athlon(TM) XP 1800+
|>Memory Test : 262144K OK
|>Award Plug and Play Bios Extension v1.0A
|>Initialize Plug and Play cards........
|>PNP INIT Completed
|>Trend ChipAwayVirus(R) on Guard
|>Detecting Primary Master.....Maxtor 6E030L0
|>Detecting Primary Slave.......none
|>Detecting Secondary Master.....MATSHITA DVD-ROM SR-8583
|>Detecting Secondary Slave.......NEC DVD-RW ND-1300A
|>---
|>
|>That's it, the dash line just kept blinking, I waited for a long time, still
|>nothing happened, so I switch the pc off and switch it on again after a few
|>minutes, the same thing happened, it did noe react to any keyboard key.

Not sure what your installing or why it would want to wrte to the MBR
but enter your BIOS and turn off: Trend ChipAwayVirus(R) on Guard

If it works, run AVG and do a boot sector scan.

--
Music videos http://www.milinkito.com/los80.php
Someone did all the work, so you don't have to

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sud-IdjIV-o

Mike Easter

yakis wrote:
> I was helping a friend to set up her printer, her pc is running with
> WIndows Home SP2.

Does that mean you were also physically connecting a printer to some
port such as the parallel port?

Presumably you physically connected the printer to a computer which was
turned off at the time, yes?

> When the pc retarted, it got to the point after reading the Video
> card and it showed a very strange screen with these on it:
>
> Award Medallion Bios v6.0, An Energy Star Ally
> Copyright(c) 1984-2001, Award Software, Inc
> Asus Athlon(TM) XP 1800+
> Memory Test : 262144K OK
> Award Plug and Play Bios Extension v1.0A
> Initialize Plug and Play cards........
> PNP INIT Completed
> Trend ChipAwayVirus(R) on Guard
> Detecting Primary Master.....Maxtor 6E030L0
> Detecting Primary Slave.......none
> Detecting Secondary Master.....MATSHITA DVD-ROM SR-8583
> Detecting Secondary Slave.......NEC DVD-RW ND-1300A
> ---
>
> That's it, the dash line just kept blinking, I waited for a long
> time, still nothing happened, so I switch the pc off and switch it on
> again after a few minutes, the same thing happened, it did noe react
> to any keyboard key.

What is supposed to happen right after the detection of those drives at
step^1 75h is the detection of the serial and parallel ports at step
77h -- which parallel port might be the one where the printer is
supposed to be plugged in which might have some kind of either damage or
improper connection.

^1 http://www.bioscentral.com/postcodes/awardbios.htm AWARD Version 6.0
(i810):

You might also have the BIOS configured improperly for the printer
connection.

For my first troubleshooting step, I would turn off the computer and
physically disconnect the printer from its port. Next, you should tell
us what kind of printer and connection this is.

--
Mike Easter

yakis

Hi Trax,
Thanks for your reply.
I am a newbie with computer, I did try to press the F keys, I think it was
F12 first and then F2....F8... but not being able to get into SETUP or BOOT
Config.
I don't quite understand what you meant by turning off "Trend
ChipAwayVirus(R) on Guard". Please help me further, thanks.
By the way, why is the pc hang like that, every thing else seemed to be ok,
I could open the CD Rom drive etc.
jakis

"Trax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "yakis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |>Hi every one,
> |>I was helping a friend to set up her printer, her pc is running with
> WIndows
> |>Home SP2.
> |>While I was in the wizard driver installation, the wizard window froze
> up,
> |>showed only blank screen. Funny thing was, I could saved up all my
> opened
> |>files and could click the Restart button.
> |>When the pc retarted, it got to the point after reading the Video card
> and
> |>it showed a very strange screen with these on it:
> |>
> |>Award Medallion Bios v6.0, An Energy Star Ally
> |>Copyright(c) 1984-2001, Award Software, Inc
> |>Asus Athlon(TM) XP 1800+
> |>Memory Test : 262144K OK
> |>Award Plug and Play Bios Extension v1.0A
> |>Initialize Plug and Play cards........
> |>PNP INIT Completed
> |>Trend ChipAwayVirus(R) on Guard
> |>Detecting Primary Master.....Maxtor 6E030L0
> |>Detecting Primary Slave.......none
> |>Detecting Secondary Master.....MATSHITA DVD-ROM SR-8583
> |>Detecting Secondary Slave.......NEC DVD-RW ND-1300A
> |>---
> |>
> |>That's it, the dash line just kept blinking, I waited for a long time,
> still
> |>nothing happened, so I switch the pc off and switch it on again after a
> few
> |>minutes, the same thing happened, it did noe react to any keyboard key.
>
> Not sure what your installing or why it would want to wrte to the MBR
> but enter your BIOS and turn off: Trend ChipAwayVirus(R) on Guard
>
> If it works, run AVG and do a boot sector scan.
>

> --
> Music videos http://www.milinkito.com/los80.php
> Someone did all the work, so you don't have to
>
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=sud-IdjIV-o

yakis

Hi Mike,
The priter is Canon CJS 240, I did notice that the connector at the end of
the cable had 2 or 3 pins missing.
It was true of what you said about the printer port, I was adding and
deleting few ports.
Then suddenly, the install driver wizard froze and I retart the computer,
that's how it happened.
Don't know what to do now.
jakis

news:446f8d47$0$79787$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> yakis wrote:
>> I was helping a friend to set up her printer, her pc is running with
>> WIndows Home SP2.

> Does that mean you were also physically connecting a printer to some
> port such as the parallel port?
>
> Presumably you physically connected the printer to a computer which was
> turned off at the time, yes?
>
>> When the pc retarted, it got to the point after reading the Video
>> card and it showed a very strange screen with these on it:
>>
>> Award Medallion Bios v6.0, An Energy Star Ally
>> Copyright(c) 1984-2001, Award Software, Inc
>> Asus Athlon(TM) XP 1800+
>> Memory Test : 262144K OK
>> Award Plug and Play Bios Extension v1.0A
>> Initialize Plug and Play cards........
>> PNP INIT Completed
>> Trend ChipAwayVirus(R) on Guard
>> Detecting Primary Master.....Maxtor 6E030L0
>> Detecting Primary Slave.......none
>> Detecting Secondary Master.....MATSHITA DVD-ROM SR-8583
>> Detecting Secondary Slave.......NEC DVD-RW ND-1300A
>> ---
>>
>> That's it, the dash line just kept blinking, I waited for a long
>> time, still nothing happened, so I switch the pc off and switch it on
>> again after a few minutes, the same thing happened, it did noe react
>> to any keyboard key.

> What is supposed to happen right after the detection of those drives at
> step^1 75h is the detection of the serial and parallel ports at step
> 77h -- which parallel port might be the one where the printer is
> supposed to be plugged in which might have some kind of either damage or
> improper connection.
>
> ^1 http://www.bioscentral.com/postcodes/awardbios.htm AWARD Version 6.0
> (i810):
>
> You might also have the BIOS configured improperly for the printer
> connection.
>
> For my first troubleshooting step, I would turn off the computer and
> physically disconnect the printer from its port. Next, you should tell
> us what kind of printer and connection this is.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

Mike Easter

yakis wrote:

> The priter is Canon CJS 240, I did notice that the connector at the
> end of the cable had 2 or 3 pins missing.

You don't need all of them. Did the cable come with the printer?

> Don't know what to do now.

As I said....

>> For my first troubleshooting step, I would turn off the computer and
>> physically disconnect the printer from its port.

It would be useful to know if the computer will boot now with the
printer disconnected..

--
Mike Easter

yakis

Yeah Mike, The cable come with printer.
Actually, I was installing an Ethernet LAN card for her newly subscribed
broadband internet provider. Everything was OK, got on line and configured
her email account etc. But later when we wanted to print some documents, the
printer did nothing. I downloaded the driver and tried again, it still did
not print. So I juggle around with the cable and tried to add new ports for
it, suddenly, the wizard driver installation froze and that's how all began.
I am at home now, I will go to her house later and tried to physically
disconnect the cable and I'll get back to you .
Sorry for telling you this now.
Thanks,
yakis

news:446f93a1$0$15474$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> yakis wrote:
>
>> The priter is Canon CJS 240, I did notice that the connector at the
>> end of the cable had 2 or 3 pins missing.

> You don't need all of them. Did the cable come with the printer?
>
>> Don't know what to do now.

> As I said....
>
>>> For my first troubleshooting step, I would turn off the computer and
>>> physically disconnect the printer from its port.

> It would be useful to know if the computer will boot now with the
> printer disconnected..
>
> --
> Mike Easter

Mike Easter

yakis wrote:

> The cable come with printer.

So I'm going to assume printing function was previously normal.

> I was installing an Ethernet LAN card

Which moves around the irq and can affect other PCI but normally
wouldn't affect the printer

> later when we wanted
> to print some documents, the printer did nothing.

I can't think of anything about installing the NIC that would affect the
printer, except that you are physically back there doing things that
might have disturbed a shaky connection. Normally the parallel is held
together by clips or screws.

> So I juggle around
> with the cable

In the old days there used to be warnings about doing hot connects and
disconnects on the parallel. Supposedly that is more robust now - but I
would still be concerned about disconnecting and connecting a live
parallel port.

--
Mike Easter

Trax

"yakis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Hi Trax,
|>Thanks for your reply.
|>I am a newbie with computer, I did try to press the F keys, I think it was
|>F12 first and then F2....F8... but not being able to get into SETUP or BOOT
|>Config.
|>I don't quite understand what you meant by turning off "Trend
|>ChipAwayVirus(R) on Guard". Please help me further, thanks.
|>By the way, why is the pc hang like that, every thing else seemed to be ok,
|>I could open the CD Rom drive etc.
|>jakis

Usually to enter the BIOS you press the DEL key right after you turn
it on - should show on the screen first thing -Hit Pause/break key to
stop it there if you need more time - enter to continue-

Trend ChipAwayVirus(R) on Guard would be in one of the subdirectories
change it to OFF, it's only there to keep things from writing to the
MBR, which isn't needed anymore if you run a virus program.