Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > anyone know an easy free Yenc decoder?

anyone know an easy free Yenc decoder?

Trax

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/support.php

--
Music videos http://www.milinkito.com/los80.php
Someone did all the work, so you don't have to

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sud-IdjIV-o

Quiz Time

easy to set up too?

Vanguard

"Quiz Time" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:s%Gbg.4699$(E-Mail Removed)...
> easy to set up too?

So why not head over to yenc.org and see what they think is the cat's
meow for supporting their hacked format?

Mike Easter

Quiz Time wrote:
Subject: anyone know an easy free Yenc decoder?
> easy to set up too?

Put your entire question in the body of your message, not essential
parts only in the subject, so that the person who is answering will have
an appropriate context to answer without having to paste part of your
question down in here.

If you are going to be using OE to dl yEncodings, I think it is best and
simplest to use yProxy.

Otherwise you have to dl and then decode as a separate operation. There
are plenty of free yDecoders and yProxy has both pay and free versions.
I think someone has to buy the pay version to reward their work.

http://www.yproxy.com/

Works with any newsreader
Speeds up your downloads
Graphical status bars
Supports up to 20 connections
The easiest way to yDecode
Wizard for Outlook Express
Supports SSL connections
Protects your privacy

Alternatively, there are free newsreaders which handle yDecoding
natively and don't require a separate program or operation.

--
Mike Easter

All Things Mopar

Today, with great enthusiasm and quite emphatic, Quiz Time laid
this spiel on an innocent readership

> easy to set up too?

Xnews, Google for it. Works great, fast, efficient, supports both
Uuencode and yEnc, supports one-step decode of multi-part binaries,
the list compared to outhouse depressed is too long to include
here. Plus, it has the benefit of being exactly what you and many
others - like me - want - it is FREE.

--
ATM, aka Jerry

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm!" - Ralph Waldo
Emerson

All Things Mopar

Today, with great enthusiasm and quite emphatic, Vanguard laid
this spiel on an innocent readership

> So why not head over to yenc.org and see what they think is
> the cat's meow for supporting their hacked format?

I give, what does "hacked format" mean? Why not see what the author
of the standard has to say:

http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/yenc.html

--

All Things Mopar wrote:

> I give, what does "hacked format" mean? Why not see what the author
> of the standard has to say:
>
> http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/yenc.html

Jeremy & citations sez: Why yEnc is bad for Usenet -- I still think
yEnc was the wrong way to do it -- it preserves everything that is wrong
with uuencoding - relies on searching for "magic strings" in the
message body - you really want is something reliably machine-readable
and precisely specified.- filename specification is horribly
imprecise - no method to specify a filename which happens to contain
quotes -

Jeremy also has another page:
http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/yencmyths.html yEnc Myths and
Misconceptions - Debunking widely-held misconceptions about yEnc

--
Mike Easter

DTDoyle

Quiz Time wrote:
> easy to set up too?

UUD32

All Things Mopar

Today, with great enthusiasm and quite emphatic, Mike Easter
laid this spiel on an innocent readership

> All Things Mopar wrote:
>
>> I give, what does "hacked format" mean? Why not see what the
>> author of the standard has to say:
>>
>> http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/yenc.html

> Jeremy & citations sez: Why yEnc is bad for Usenet -- I still
> think yEnc was the wrong way to do it -- it preserves
> everything that is wrong with uuencoding - relies on
> searching for "magic strings" in the message body - you really
> want is something reliably machine-readable and precisely
> specified.- filename specification is horribly imprecise - no
> method to specify a filename which happens to contain quotes -
>
> Jeremy also has another page:
> http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/yencmyths.html yEnc Myths
> and Misconceptions - Debunking widely-held misconceptions
> about yEnc

Thanks for the link, I didn't have that one. Jeremy could be
pretty critical of himself and sarcastic at the same time, so
when I "read between the lines", I think - and this is just what
I think - that Jeremy did believe lo these 5 years ago that he
was doing something good for humanity by taking unnecessary
encoding overhead out, whether his math was up to snuff or not.

Anyway, the yEnc debate crops up seemingly monthly on many of the
binary NGs I visit. Being that there are easy-to-use and
inexpensive/free solutions, I cannot fathom the vehement dislike
that yEnc engenders in so many people. I originally switched from
outhouse depressed to News Express for the usual reasons, and
then to Xnews because it did what the OP of this thread wants -
it decoded yEnc seamlessly and the price was right.

Jeremy gets involved occasionally on the two digital photography
NGs I subscribe to. His knowledge and experience is incredible!
But, you can't get him to talk about yEnc no matter how slyly you
try. For whatever reasons, that are his alone, he wants the world
to decide whether his "creation" is good, bad, or indifferent.

--
ATM, aka Jerry

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm!" - Ralph
Waldo Emerson

snoopy

All Things Mopar wrote:

> Jeremy gets involved occasionally on the two digital photography
> NGs I subscribe to. His knowledge and experience is incredible!
> But, you can't get him to talk about yEnc no matter how slyly you
> try. For whatever reasons, that are his alone, he wants the world
> to decide whether his "creation" is good, bad, or indifferent.
>
> --
> ATM, aka Jerry

Mopar, by his "creation", you mean Jürgen Helbing's creation right?
Jürgen Helbing created yEnc. Jeremy created the rant.

Jürgen Helbing deserves more credit.