Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > LAN works but internet failed.

LAN works but internet failed.

inussd@hotmail.com

We lost our internet connection in our group the other day, when our
local LAN network was still working.

When I re-power the firewall, the internet was restored to most of
the computers.

However, there are a few computers can't get back to the internet
althought these computers can still connected within our Window Domain
and work normal in our local LAN.

I try to reboot, ipconfig/renew, or change from static IP into DHCP,
still doesn' work, while other computers with similar configuation
(Gateway, DNS/WAN) work totally fine. I try other computer with the
same network cable/connector, also work fine.

What is the possible problem??

Evan Platt

On 19 May 2006 11:56:56 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>We lost our internet connection in our group the other day, when our
>local LAN network was still working.
>
> When I re-power the firewall, the internet was restored to most of
>the computers.
>
>However, there are a few computers can't get back to the internet
>althought these computers can still connected within our Window Domain
>and work normal in our local LAN.
>
> I try to reboot, ipconfig/renew, or change from static IP into DHCP,
>still doesn' work, while other computers with similar configuation
>(Gateway, DNS/WAN) work totally fine. I try other computer with the
>same network cable/connector, also work fine.
>
>What is the possible problem??

You haven't given enough information.

Operating system?

Private or public IP?
Can they ping the gateway?
Does DNS resolve?

inussd

Thanks for the reply:

the few machines are window XP,
the firewall is Sun machine with checkpoint
it is private IP
it can ping the gateway.
DNS is resolved.
even with direct IP for http, it still failed.

Between machine and firewall, it passes a few switches, however, when
the same cable/connector connected to other computer, it works too.

I really got lost in this

Thanks again

John Holmes

inussd blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Thanks for the reply:
>
> the few machines are window XP,
> the firewall is Sun machine with checkpoint
> it is private IP
> it can ping the gateway.
> DNS is resolved.
> even with direct IP for http, it still failed.
>
> Between machine and firewall, it passes a few switches, however, when
> the same cable/connector connected to other computer, it works too.
>
> I really got lost in this
>
> Thanks again

Have you tried asking the administrator? (s)he might be able to help you
out.

--
Your mother was a canophobic trooper who used to eat crackers in an
igloo.

inussd

the administrator leave the company..

Evan Platt

On 19 May 2006 14:44:28 -0700, "inussd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks for the reply:
>
>the few machines are window XP,
>the firewall is Sun machine with checkpoint
>it is private IP
>it can ping the gateway.
>DNS is resolved.
>even with direct IP for http, it still failed.
>
>Between machine and firewall, it passes a few switches, however, when
>the same cable/connector connected to other computer, it works too.
>
>I really got lost in this
>
>Thanks again

First suggestion: Bypass firewall.

Then...

Go to DOS.

"telnet www.cnn.com 80" <Enter>
(Without the quotes).
Hit enter a few times, assuming it makes the connection.

Evan Platt

On 19 May 2006 15:40:41 -0700, "inussd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>the administrator leave the company..

Get a new administrator.

John Holmes

inussd blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> the administrator leave the company..

Poor sod...

--
Your mother was an ungracious punk who held farting competitions in a
political party.

Duane Arnold

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> We lost our internet connection in our group the other day, when our
> local LAN network was still working.
>
> When I re-power the firewall, the internet was restored to most of
> the computers.
>
> However, there are a few computers can't get back to the internet
> althought these computers can still connected within our Window Domain
> and work normal in our local LAN.

> I try to reboot, ipconfig/renew, or change from static IP into DHCP,
> still doesn' work, while other computers with similar configuation
> (Gateway, DNS/WAN) work totally fine. I try other computer with the
> same network cable/connector, also work fine.
>
> What is the possible problem??

Yes, it can be that the machines can connect on the LAN if the machines
have an IP that starts with 169 a timeout if the machine is obtaining
the IP from a DHCP server.

But the 169 IP will not allow the machines to access the Internet,
because the machine is not getting an IP from the DHCP server on the LAN.

Yes, you can change the machine to use a static IP. But if the TCP/IP
Stack on the machine is hosed, then a DHCP it may not be getting or
static IP will not allow the machine to access the Internet.

You may have to reset the TCP/IP Stack the O/S is using on the machine.

The reset of the TCP/IP Stack is based on what O/S the machine has
installed, if it's the Windows O/S.

Duane