Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Quicktime video & movie maker

Quicktime video & movie maker

Nottnick

Ok Here's my problem.

I'm a teacher (Nottingham UK) and have just taken a group af 11 year olds
away for an adventure week.
My Olympus (7070) still camera also takes great video However, it is in
Quicktime format. I have loads of shots.

Now, I really want to let the children have a go at making a longer movie
from these clips (each is 20 seconds or so on average) ie. the chance to
link short video clips and add music + transition effects + a title and
credits.

Winows Movie Maker would be ideal as it is free and it is already installed
on the school computers and I know how to use it (of course we don't have
spare money st school and I want to get started on Monday while they are
still keen so don't have time to go through educational suppliers etc.) .

Trouble is, it won't take quicktime and I only found out this evening.

Does anyone have a suggestion.

Thanks

Peaches

"Nottnick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok Here's my problem.
>
> I'm a teacher (Nottingham UK) and have just taken a group af 11 year olds
> away for an adventure week.
> My Olympus (7070) still camera also takes great video However, it is in
> Quicktime format. I have loads of shots.
>
> Now, I really want to let the children have a go at making a longer movie
> from these clips (each is 20 seconds or so on average) ie. the chance to
> link short video clips and add music + transition effects + a title and
> credits.
>
> Winows Movie Maker would be ideal as it is free and it is already
> installed on the school computers and I know how to use it (of course we
> don't have spare money st school and I want to get started on Monday while
> they are still keen so don't have time to go through educational suppliers
> etc.) .
>
> Trouble is, it won't take quicktime and I only found out this evening.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion.
>
> Thanks

This site has all you need to know about WMM
Use the menu on left to scroll:
Import Movie source files/Video/MOV
http://papajohn.org/

Peaches

"Nottnick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok Here's my problem.
>
> I'm a teacher (Nottingham UK) and have just taken a group af 11 year olds
> away for an adventure week.
> My Olympus (7070) still camera also takes great video However, it is in
> Quicktime format. I have loads of shots.
>
> Now, I really want to let the children have a go at making a longer movie
> from these clips (each is 20 seconds or so on average) ie. the chance to
> link short video clips and add music + transition effects + a title and
> credits.
>
> Winows Movie Maker would be ideal as it is free and it is already
> installed on the school computers and I know how to use it (of course we
> don't have spare money st school and I want to get started on Monday while
> they are still keen so don't have time to go through educational suppliers
> etc.) .
>
> Trouble is, it won't take quicktime and I only found out this evening.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion.
>
> Thanks

Post script:
The author of site - papajohn, notes on the page that he has found
with his Olympus c200 digital camera that by renaming .MOV to .avi
WMM imported without problem, same link as above post.

beenthere

"Nottnick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok Here's my problem.
>
> I'm a teacher (Nottingham UK) and have just taken a group af 11 year olds
> away for an adventure week.
> My Olympus (7070) still camera also takes great video However, it is in
> Quicktime format. I have loads of shots.
>
> Now, I really want to let the children have a go at making a longer movie
> from these clips (each is 20 seconds or so on average) ie. the chance to
> link short video clips and add music + transition effects + a title and
> credits.
>
> Winows Movie Maker would be ideal as it is free and it is already
> installed on the school computers and I know how to use it (of course we
> don't have spare money st school and I want to get started on Monday while
> they are still keen so don't have time to go through educational suppliers
> etc.) .
>
> Trouble is, it won't take quicktime and I only found out this evening.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion.

Hi N. Nip over to alt.comp.freeware, and ask there.
You could also www.google.com for `free quicktime converter`.

Nottnick

"Peaches" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e4l1ss$978$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Nottnick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ok Here's my problem.
>>
>> I'm a teacher (Nottingham UK) and have just taken a group af 11 year olds
>> away for an adventure week.
>> My Olympus (7070) still camera also takes great video However, it is in
>> Quicktime format. I have loads of shots.
>>
>> Now, I really want to let the children have a go at making a longer movie
>> from these clips (each is 20 seconds or so on average) ie. the chance to
>> link short video clips and add music + transition effects + a title and
>> credits.
>>
>> Winows Movie Maker would be ideal as it is free and it is already
>> installed on the school computers and I know how to use it (of course we
>> don't have spare money st school and I want to get started on Monday
>> while they are still keen so don't have time to go through educational
>> suppliers etc.) .
>>
>> Trouble is, it won't take quicktime and I only found out this evening.
>>
>> Does anyone have a suggestion.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> This site has all you need to know about WMM
> Use the menu on left to scroll:
> Import Movie source files/Video/MOV
> http://papajohn.org/

Thanks for that. I'll check it out.

This sounds simple I know but while I was away I was using my laptop - that
has Movie Maker.
However right now on my desktop, it isn't there and I can't find it in
windows components either so can't find it to install.
I have SP2 and all microsoft updates etc.
Do you know where I find it?
Thanks
Nick

Nottnick

Found it in programs!

looking in accessories.

(too many programs in start menu)

Nick

Peaches

"Nottnick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Peaches" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e4l1ss$978$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Nottnick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Ok Here's my problem.
>>>
>>> I'm a teacher (Nottingham UK) and have just taken a group af 11 year
>>> olds away for an adventure week.
>>> My Olympus (7070) still camera also takes great video However, it is in
>>> Quicktime format. I have loads of shots.
>>>
>>> Now, I really want to let the children have a go at making a longer
>>> movie from these clips (each is 20 seconds or so on average) ie. the
>>> chance to link short video clips and add music + transition effects + a
>>> title and credits.
>>>
>>> Winows Movie Maker would be ideal as it is free and it is already
>>> installed on the school computers and I know how to use it (of course we
>>> don't have spare money st school and I want to get started on Monday
>>> while they are still keen so don't have time to go through educational
>>> suppliers etc.) .
>>>
>>> Trouble is, it won't take quicktime and I only found out this evening.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a suggestion.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> This site has all you need to know about WMM
>> Use the menu on left to scroll:
>> Import Movie source files/Video/MOV
>> http://papajohn.org/
>>

> Thanks for that. I'll check it out.
>
> This sounds simple I know but while I was away I was using my laptop -
> that has Movie Maker.
> However right now on my desktop, it isn't there and I can't find it in
> windows components either so can't find it to install.
> I have SP2 and all microsoft updates etc.
> Do you know where I find it?
> Thanks
> Nick

Start/Programs/Accessories/Entertainment/Windows Movie Maker

If it's not there, download from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...viemaker2.mspx

Kenny

Papa John is also a regular contributor to
Well worth a look and you can post any MM questions there.

--
Kenny Cargill

"Cigarettes are killers that travel in packs."

"Nottnick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Peaches" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e4l1ss$978$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Nottnick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Ok Here's my problem.
>>>
>>> I'm a teacher (Nottingham UK) and have just taken a group af 11 year
>>> olds away for an adventure week.
>>> My Olympus (7070) still camera also takes great video However, it is in
>>> Quicktime format. I have loads of shots.
>>>
>>> Now, I really want to let the children have a go at making a longer
>>> movie from these clips (each is 20 seconds or so on average) ie. the
>>> chance to link short video clips and add music + transition effects + a
>>> title and credits.
>>>
>>> Winows Movie Maker would be ideal as it is free and it is already
>>> installed on the school computers and I know how to use it (of course we
>>> don't have spare money st school and I want to get started on Monday
>>> while they are still keen so don't have time to go through educational
>>> suppliers etc.) .
>>>
>>> Trouble is, it won't take quicktime and I only found out this evening.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a suggestion.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> This site has all you need to know about WMM
>> Use the menu on left to scroll:
>> Import Movie source files/Video/MOV
>> http://papajohn.org/
>>

> Thanks for that. I'll check it out.
>
> This sounds simple I know but while I was away I was using my laptop -
> that has Movie Maker.
> However right now on my desktop, it isn't there and I can't find it in
> windows components either so can't find it to install.
> I have SP2 and all microsoft updates etc.
> Do you know where I find it?
> Thanks
> Nick

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Nottnick
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ok Here's my problem.
>
> I'm a teacher (Nottingham UK) and have just taken a group af 11 year olds
> away for an adventure week.
> My Olympus (7070) still camera also takes great video However, it is in
> Quicktime format. I have loads of shots.
>
> Now, I really want to let the children have a go at making a longer movie
> from these clips (each is 20 seconds or so on average) ie. the chance to
> link short video clips and add music + transition effects + a title and
> credits.
>
> Winows Movie Maker would be ideal as it is free and it is already installed
> on the school computers and I know how to use it (of course we don't have
> spare money st school and I want to get started on Monday while they are
> still keen so don't have time to go through educational suppliers etc.) .
>
> Trouble is, it won't take quicktime and I only found out this evening.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion.
>
> Thanks

Yes -- install QuickTime.

It's just a codec for reading that kind of file -- get it from
http://quicktime.apple.com

clot

Nottnick wrote:
> Ok Here's my problem.
>
> I'm a teacher (Nottingham UK) and have just taken a group af 11 year
> olds away for an adventure week.
> My Olympus (7070) still camera also takes great video However, it is
> in Quicktime format. I have loads of shots.
>
> Now, I really want to let the children have a go at making a longer
> movie from these clips (each is 20 seconds or so on average) ie. the
> chance to link short video clips and add music + transition effects +
> a title and credits.
>
> Winows Movie Maker would be ideal as it is free and it is already
> installed on the school computers and I know how to use it (of course
> we don't have spare money st school and I want to get started on
> Monday while they are still keen so don't have time to go through
> educational suppliers etc.) .
> Trouble is, it won't take quicktime and I only found out this evening.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion.

What great help you've had. I hope it works for the kids (and you).