Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Quicktime video & movie maker

Quicktime video & movie maker

Frosty

On or about Fri, 19 May 2006 19:37:22 +0100, an entity identified as
"Nottnick" <(E-Mail Removed)> proudly proclaimed:

>Found it in programs!
>
>looking in accessories.
>
>(too many programs in start menu)
>
>Nick

Whew!

SilverMan
--

Real debate; No bullshit.

& http://halebobb.com

Billy B.

"Mitch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:190520061329164844%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Nottnick
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Ok Here's my problem.
>>
>> I'm a teacher (Nottingham UK) and have just taken a group af 11 year olds
>> away for an adventure week.
>> My Olympus (7070) still camera also takes great video However, it is in
>> Quicktime format. I have loads of shots.
>>
>> Now, I really want to let the children have a go at making a longer movie
>> from these clips (each is 20 seconds or so on average) ie. the chance to
>> link short video clips and add music + transition effects + a title and
>> credits.
>>
>> Winows Movie Maker would be ideal as it is free and it is already
>> installed
>> on the school computers and I know how to use it (of course we don't have
>> spare money st school and I want to get started on Monday while they are
>> still keen so don't have time to go through educational suppliers etc.) .
>>
>> Trouble is, it won't take quicktime and I only found out this evening.
>>
>> Does anyone have a suggestion.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Yes -- install QuickTime.

OK Mitch, do tell how downloading Quicktime (which will have
come with the Olympus camera) but do tell how that will solve
the problem of Windows Movie Maker not being able to use
..MOV files? As it's a licensing issue, nothing - no plug-in, no
filter, no decoder, can change that.
So the original poster wants to use windows movie maker to
edit his .MOV files, and he has been given execellent guidence
on how to convert the files to a compatible file type.
So what use will downloading Quicktime be?

> It's just a codec for reading that kind of file -- get it from
> http://quicktime.apple.com

Nottnick

"clot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9htbg.418$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nottnick wrote:
>> Ok Here's my problem.
>>
>> I'm a teacher (Nottingham UK) and have just taken a group af 11 year
>> olds away for an adventure week.
>> My Olympus (7070) still camera also takes great video However, it is
>> in Quicktime format. I have loads of shots.
>>
>> Now, I really want to let the children have a go at making a longer
>> movie from these clips (each is 20 seconds or so on average) ie. the
>> chance to link short video clips and add music + transition effects +
>> a title and credits.
>>
>> Winows Movie Maker would be ideal as it is free and it is already
>> installed on the school computers and I know how to use it (of course
>> we don't have spare money st school and I want to get started on
>> Monday while they are still keen so don't have time to go through
>> educational suppliers etc.) .
>> Trouble is, it won't take quicktime and I only found out this evening.
>>
>> Does anyone have a suggestion.

> What great help you've had. I hope it works for the kids (and you).

Yes
Thanks everyone - I'll get it sorted this weekend.
Will post next week with update on children's work (if they are good, I
might even upload one to school web).
Nick

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Billy B.
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> OK Mitch, do tell how downloading Quicktime (which will have
> come with the Olympus camera) but do tell how that will solve
> the problem of Windows Movie Maker not being able to use
> .MOV files? As it's a licensing issue, nothing - no plug-in, no
> filter, no decoder, can change that.
> So the original poster wants to use windows movie maker to
> edit his .MOV files, and he has been given execellent guidence
> on how to convert the files to a compatible file type.
> So what use will downloading Quicktime be?

I interpreted the problem as one of not being able to decompress the
movies -- which would be solved by installing the codec.
I didn't take it as a licensing issue; maybe it is, and maybe I was
wrong to figure it was about being able to open the file properly.

Nevertheless, it isn't a bad idea, and certainly isn't harmful or
foolish (as you seem to be implying) to install the codec for the kind
of file you are trying to read.
Sure, the codec was probably available in the software that came with
the camera, but it is evident that people don't always install such
things. Maybe they don't read instructions, maybe they never look
around, maybe they don't realize they have to do that step themselves
-- it's worth mentioning just for those reasons.