Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WAV files

WAV files

Shep©

On 19 May 2006 11:27:44 -0700 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With Yang
then "Richard Fangnail" <(E-Mail Removed)> sent this :

>What I did was to make all the tracks into MP3s (using Rip in WMP).
>Then I used Burn in WMP which means to make an audio CD that can be
>played in any CD player. I had selected the MP3 files. It worked
>also. My question was, why did it say "converting" for each track?

It was converting them to the standard audio .wav format known as .cda
for domestic CD audio players.This has different encoding than the
normal .wav files on your PC but is still basically a .wav file.

If you wish to delve more,

http://www.cdrfaq.org/

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...m?bandID=88558

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Shep©
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This has different encoding than the
> normal .wav files on your PC but is still basically a .wav file.

Isn't that backward?

Isn't WAV copying the CDDA format?

thanatoid

"Richard Fangnail" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> I used to make compilation audio CDs with Roxio, and it
> required that each song is a WAV file.
>
> I just used WMP to do this for the first time and it did
> not say it required that each song is a WAV, so I did it
> from some MP3s. When I burned, it said "converting" for
> each song. It was converting the files to what? I saw no
> new files in the folders.

Many current burning programs will allow you to convert "on the
fly" from WAV and possibly other formats, check the specs.

Since you were able to do this, you obviously have a fast enough
computer - an older one could not do this, as music format
conversion is fairly processor speed/memory intensive.

You don't "see" the mp3 files as they are converted to wav in
memory and burned directly to your CD.

I have never done it, I like to stick to basics in principle and
action. I convert mp3's to WAV, check them for extra silences,
glitches, etc. in GoldWave (or any other program), sometimes
join them all into one huge WAV file and convert back to mp3 (if
I want to burn a continuous mp3 - for instance, a live album -
mp3 "joiners" all suck IMO, I've tried several) or just burn the
"normal" CD from the WAV's.

If it worked and sounds OK, then I would imagine everything is
OK. It is undeniably simple and fast.

--
thanatoid-Tip® #20
There are dark and scary tunnels where awful things happen to

Frosty

On or about 19 May 2006 11:06:33 -0700, an entity identified as
"Richard Fangnail" <(E-Mail Removed)> proudly proclaimed:

>I used to make compilation audio CDs with Roxio, and it required that
>each song is a WAV file.
>
>I just used WMP to do this for the first time and it did not say it
>required that each song is a WAV, so I did it from some MP3s. When I
>burned, it said "converting" for each song. It was converting the
>files to what? I saw no new files in the folders.

Man, I just automatically convert all my MP3's to .wav (using db
PowerAmp)
..Wav seems to be the only format my CD player understands.
And since I have a Giant ****-Load of Music© I had to get another 200
gig HD to hold it all. But hey, it's Music so it's worth it.

Frosty
--

http://halebobb.com

"If you push something hard enough it will fall over."

Fudd's First Law of Opposition

thanatoid

Frosty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On or about 19 May 2006 11:06:33 -0700, an entity
> identified as "Richard Fangnail"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> proudly proclaimed:
>
>>I used to make compilation audio CDs with Roxio, and it
>>required that each song is a WAV file.
>>
>>I just used WMP to do this for the first time and it did
>>not say it required that each song is a WAV, so I did it
>>from some MP3s. When I burned, it said "converting" for
>>each song. It was converting the files to what? I saw no
>>new files in the folders.

> Man, I just automatically convert all my MP3's to .wav
> (using db PowerAmp)
> .Wav seems to be the only format my CD player understands.
> And since I have a Giant ****-Load of Music© I had to get
> another 200 gig HD to hold it all. But hey, it's Music so
> it's worth it.
>
> Frosty
> --
>

> http://halebobb.com
>
> "If you push something hard enough it will fall over."
>
> Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Of course WAV is the only format a CD player understands. That's
why I bought a DVD player ONLY to play mp3's. I've had it for
about 2 or 3 years and I only ever put 2 (music) DVD's in it.
OK, ONE movie, which I returned the next day because it was not
the complete version.

A DVD player (many of which will not only play mp3 - and regular
WAV CD's - but also let you watch jpg's, play wma, and do other
things - not to mention - YAA-AWN - watching movies) can be as
cheap as a 200GB drive, and less prone to failure. In a way I
view my mp3 CD-R's as backups.

Can you even BEGIN to imagine HOW you would feel if your 200GB
drive full of music bit the dust? (It probably will, SOMEDAY,
realistically speaking.)

(BTW, dB PowerAMP is amazing. I can't believe it's free.)

--
thanatoid-Tip® #20
There are dark and scary tunnels where awful things happen to
you, and there are soft, warm and friendly tunnels which are as
close to paradise as you get on this shitball.

Frosty

On or about 21 May 2006 05:42:53 GMT, an entity identified as
thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)> proudly proclaimed:

>Frosty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On or about 19 May 2006 11:06:33 -0700, an entity
>> identified as "Richard Fangnail"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> proudly proclaimed:
>>
>>>I used to make compilation audio CDs with Roxio, and it
>>>required that each song is a WAV file.
>>>
>>>I just used WMP to do this for the first time and it did
>>>not say it required that each song is a WAV, so I did it
>>>from some MP3s. When I burned, it said "converting" for
>>>each song. It was converting the files to what? I saw no
>>>new files in the folders.

>> Man, I just automatically convert all my MP3's to .wav
>> (using db PowerAmp)
>> .Wav seems to be the only format my CD player understands.
>> And since I have a Giant ****-Load of Music© I had to get
>> another 200 gig HD to hold it all. But hey, it's Music so
>> it's worth it.
>>
>> Frosty
>> --
>>

>> http://halebobb.com
>>
>> "If you push something hard enough it will fall over."
>>
>> Fudd's First Law of Opposition
>>

>Of course WAV is the only format a CD player understands. That's
>why I bought a DVD player ONLY to play mp3's. I've had it for
>about 2 or 3 years and I only ever put 2 (music) DVD's in it.
>OK, ONE movie, which I returned the next day because it was not
>the complete version.
>
>A DVD player (many of which will not only play mp3 - and regular
>WAV CD's - but also let you watch jpg's, play wma, and do other
>things - not to mention - YAA-AWN - watching movies) can be as
>cheap as a 200GB drive, and less prone to failure. In a way I
>view my mp3 CD-R's as backups.

I forgot to mention that my CD player is in my car.
It cost $40 at Pepboys.

>Can you even BEGIN to imagine HOW you would feel if your 200GB
>drive full of music bit the dust? (It probably will, SOMEDAY,
>realistically speaking.)

Yeah I'd be really PO'ed. But after all, it's just data. It can be had
again.

>(BTW, dB PowerAMP is amazing. I can't believe it's free.)

Yeah. The payfer version is even more amazing, and it's pretty cheap
too.

SilverMan
--

Real debate; No bullshit.