Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Leave pc on?

Leave pc on?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

David Howard wrote:
> An earlier thread suggested that it was kinder to a pc to be left turned on
> ( but presumably disconnected from whatever e-mail service one is using ),
> as there are then fewer power surges to harm the gear. However, are their
> not problems inherent in leaving the pc turned on all the time, eg. as the
> hard drive is constantly spinning, does this not reduce the life span of the
> moving parts?

Power saving features

David Howard

--
David Howard

David Howard

David Howard
"Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Krjbg.294$(E-Mail Removed)...
> David Howard wrote:
> > An earlier thread suggested that it was kinder to a pc to be left turned

on
> > ( but presumably disconnected from whatever e-mail service one is

using ),
> > as there are then fewer power surges to harm the gear. However, are

their
> > not problems inherent in leaving the pc turned on all the time, eg. as

the
> > hard drive is constantly spinning, does this not reduce the life span of

the
> > moving parts?
> >

> Power saving features

Thanks Brian , but which is best, 'turn off hard disc' or Hibernate?
Regards, David H.

beenthere

"David Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> An earlier thread suggested that it was kinder to a pc to be left turned
> on
> ( but presumably disconnected from whatever e-mail service one is using ),
> as there are then fewer power surges to harm the gear. However, are their
> not problems inherent in leaving the pc turned on all the time, eg. as the
> hard drive is constantly spinning, does this not reduce the life span of
> the
> moving parts?

As long as computers exist, there will always be two points of view.
Some say, leave it on. Some say turn it off, when not being used.
It comes down to a personal choice (at the end of the day !).
Leaving it on wastes electricity, and ups the bill.
It also, must, reduce the life span of some parts.
Switching it off must reduce the life span of switches, and create
slight power up surges.
The choice is an individual one I think
Altho` I like to keep my electric bills down <G>.

Meat Plow

On Fri, 19 May 2006 14:10:04 +0100, David Howard wrote:

> An earlier thread suggested that it was kinder to a pc to be left turned
> on ( but presumably disconnected from whatever e-mail service one is using
> ), as there are then fewer power surges to harm the gear. However, are
> their not problems inherent in leaving the pc turned on all the time, eg.
> as the hard drive is constantly spinning, does this not reduce the life
> span of the moving parts?

Each time you power up the PC, your send a surge to the components which
is in the opinion of most worse than leaving it run. Except for fans,
devices like hard drives can spin for years before failure.

@}-}-------Rosee

The thing that degrades the solders is the constant heating and cooling of
said solders if turning on and off. I leave mine on 24/7 unless there are
thunder boomers.

"David Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
news:(E-Mail Removed):

On Fri, 19 May 2006 14:25:41 +0100, David Howard wrote:

> Subject: Re: Leave pc on?
> From: "David Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
> Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 14:25:41 +0100
>

> --
> David Howard
> (E-Mail Removed)
> "Brian H¹©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Krjbg.294$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> David Howard wrote:
>> > An earlier thread suggested that it was kinder to a pc to be left turned

> on
>> > ( but presumably disconnected from whatever e-mail service one is

> using ),
>> > as there are then fewer power surges to harm the gear. However, are

> their
>> > not problems inherent in leaving the pc turned on all the time, eg. as

> the
>> > hard drive is constantly spinning, does this not reduce the life span of

> the
>> > moving parts?
>> >

>> Power saving features

> Thanks Brian , but which is best, 'turn off hard disc' or Hibernate?
> Regards, David H.

Standby

steve@tropheus.demon.co.uk

On Fri, 19 May 2006 14:10:04 +0100, "David Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>An earlier thread suggested that it was kinder to a pc to be left turned on
>( but presumably disconnected from whatever e-mail service one is using ),
>as there are then fewer power surges to harm the gear. However, are their
>not problems inherent in leaving the pc turned on all the time, eg. as the
>hard drive is constantly spinning, does this not reduce the life span of the
>moving parts?

Years ago I produced a service call logging and fault tracking system
for a large company. They had thousands of PCs. The design and
development departments left their PC's on all the time while the
admin and service people switched theirs off every day when they went
home.

The PCs that were left on had a much lower call rate.

The cost in wasted power makes up for the cost of service calls.

http://www.easynn.com

Vanguard

"David Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Brian H" wrote ...
>> David Howard wrote:
>> > An earlier thread suggested that it was kinder to a pc to be left
>> > turned

> on
>> > ( but presumably disconnected from whatever e-mail service one is

> using ),
>> > as there are then fewer power surges to harm the gear. However, are

> their
>> > not problems inherent in leaving the pc turned on all the time, eg.
>> > as

> the
>> > hard drive is constantly spinning, does this not reduce the life
>> > span of

> the
>> > moving parts?
>> >

>> Power saving features

> Thanks Brian , but which is best, 'turn off hard disc' or Hibernate?

You can also configure your power options to spin down the hard disks
and turn off the monitor before Standby mode engages. I have my power
options set to spin-down the hard disks and blank the video after 1 hour
and Standby engages after 2 hours of idle. I find less than an hour
inconvenient for spin-down and video blanking because I could get
interrupted for that long in a meeting, and I don't want an overly short
idle interval for Standby mode because I'd like the host ready to user
on my return. How you configure these options depends on how you use
your host.

Hibernate powers down your computer just like you hit the power button
(in fact, you can configure the power button to do the hibernate). The
only difference between hibernate and powering off is that the memory is
first copied into a file before powering down (and the file is used to
write into memory on bootup).

Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.

Vanguard

"David Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> --

<snip - everything below is the signature>

When you edit your post to bottompost, be sure the sigdash delimiter
line ("-- ") is BELOW your post and any content you are quoting.
Otherwise, in the case of your reply, everything in your post was in the
signature because you left it at the top.

Since SP-2 for Windows XP, there are registry edits to make OE
bottompost and put its signature at the end. See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886340/. I don't believe the "end" data
item makes much of a difference if you configure for bottomposting (and
you need to add it to each signature under that registry key and not
just for the first one of "00000000" which may no longer exist). The
bottomposting registry edit is a global option for OE but the
signature-at-end registry edit is local to the signature.

Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.