Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Oriental fonts that can't be deleted... ??

Oriental fonts that can't be deleted... ??

Ike

P4, 3GHz, WXPHome

There are three oriental TrueType fonts that somehow made it into my
fonts folder -- Simsun, Gulim, and MingLiU. They appear in the list in
MSWord, too. When I try to uninstall them by going to the FONTS folder
and using the DELETE option, I get a warning that "Access is denied".
This is the case in the administrator mode, even with full privileges in
the SECURITY tab.

First, how can I delete them?
Second, how can I prevent such things from recurring?

????

Thanks!

Toolman Tim

In news:EC9bg.246$(E-Mail Removed),
Ike spewed forth:
> P4, 3GHz, WXPHome
>
> There are three oriental TrueType fonts that somehow made it into my
> fonts folder -- Simsun, Gulim, and MingLiU. They appear in the list in
> MSWord, too. When I try to uninstall them by going to the FONTS folder
> and using the DELETE option, I get a warning that "Access is denied".
> This is the case in the administrator mode, even with full privileges
> in the SECURITY tab.
>
> First, how can I delete them?

Try starting the PC in safe mode and deleting them.

> Second, how can I prevent such things from recurring?

Stay off them oriental porn sites.

Ike

Toolman Tim wrote:
> In news:EC9bg.246$(E-Mail Removed),
> Ike spewed forth:
>> P4, 3GHz, WXPHome
>>
>> There are three oriental TrueType fonts that somehow made it into my
>> fonts folder -- Simsun, Gulim, and MingLiU. They appear in the list in
>> MSWord, too. When I try to uninstall them by going to the FONTS folder
>> and using the DELETE option, I get a warning that "Access is denied".
>> This is the case in the administrator mode, even with full privileges
>> in the SECURITY tab.
>>
>> First, how can I delete them?

> Try starting the PC in safe mode and deleting them.
>
>> Second, how can I prevent such things from recurring?

> Stay off them oriental porn sites.

Safe mode didn't help. Any other ideas?
And I prefer slavic porn.

Mark S.

"Ike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EC9bg.246$(E-Mail Removed)...
> P4, 3GHz, WXPHome
>
> There are three oriental TrueType fonts that somehow made it into my fonts
> folder -- Simsun, Gulim, and MingLiU. They appear in the list in MSWord,
> too. When I try to uninstall them by going to the FONTS folder and using
> the DELETE option, I get a warning that "Access is denied". This is the
> case in the administrator mode, even with full privileges in the SECURITY
> tab.
> First, how can I delete them?
> Second, how can I prevent such things from recurring?

1. Why are you wanting to delete them? Are they causing you a problem?

2. Have you noticed they were recently added to your fonts folder? In that
case, has any software or the OS been configured recently? Or were you just
browsing the fonts folder and saw them and wanted to delete them because
they're rather on the large side?

Those fonts (and other oriental ones) are present on my XP Pro system. I'm
betting that when WinXP Home was installed, the support for East Asian
Languages was also installed. This will install a whole heap of system
files, including these fonts. I think it takes up about 200Mb on XP.

If you really are doing this just to save a bit of hard disk space, then go
to Control Panel -> (Classic View) -> Regional & Language Options ->
Languages Tab, and unselect "Install files for East Asian languages".

Hope this helps,
Mark.

Ike

Mark S. wrote:

> If you really are doing this just to save a bit of hard disk space, then go
> to Control Panel -> (Classic View) -> Regional & Language Options ->
> Languages Tab, and unselect "Install files for East Asian languages".
>
> Hope this helps,
> Mark.

I usually see sarcasm, misdirection, and half-assed pseudohelp, and not
professional, competent, and dead-center correct responses. So.... wow!
Thanks, Mark!

Fact is that all my word processing is done in two fonts only, and that
stuff was cluttering up MSWord's font selection list.

Ike