Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > need recommendation for antivirus software

need recommendation for antivirus software

John Holmes

@}-}-------Rosee blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> "pantomime" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> news:e4fnce$tej$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> "@}-}-------Rosee" wrote...
>>> Not having anything Symantec is better, IMO....Ghost is the only

>> Has pcbutts forgotten to change his socks?

> ME? A sockpuppet for PC....BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
>
> This is me and has ALWAYS been me. I'm no sockpuppet.
>
> http://rosee.50megs.com/photo.html
>
> ....at the bottom, below the substitue Easter bunny.

You're on the left, eh?

--
Your mother was an egocentric hobo who used to used to play tennis at the
local flea market.

Leythos

In article <Xns97C670FC01C70roseeneener@216.196.97.140>, !!
GigAntiCBoSomS!!@Nip..com says...
> Not having anything Symantec is better, IMO....Ghost is the only
> Norton or Symantec program I will use. An older version of Norton
> Ghost at that.

Actually, Symantec Corporate Edition is really lite on resources and
very good, even filters SMTP, Exchange, POP connections.

Norton 2006 is bad, I've purchased about 30 seats and removed each one,
and actually got a full refund for it. The most resource hoggish I've
ever used of any of them.

Ghost 2003 is still a great tool and works with Servers and
Workstations, and I've even cloned Linux installs with it.

remove 999 in order to email me

ellis_jay

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/U...val-Tool.shtml

> deet wrote news:446b1ddd.4824155@localhost:
>
>> My Norton AntiVirus 2002 has expired and is non-renewable, so if I
>> want to continue using Norton I have to upgrade. Is there antiviral
>> software you can recommend that doesn't take up so much harddrive
>> space, but is as good or better than Symantecs Norton AV?
>>
>> TIA

___Sador the carpenter to Turin
Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

Ellis_Jay

ellis_jay

@}-}-------Rosee wrote:
> "pantomime" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> news:e4fnce$tej$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> "@}-}-------Rosee" wrote...
>>> Not having anything Symantec is better, IMO....Ghost is the only

>> Has pcbutts forgotten to change his socks?

> ME? A sockpuppet for PC....BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
>
> This is me and has ALWAYS been me. I'm no sockpuppet.
>
> http://rosee.50megs.com/photo.html
>
> ....at the bottom, below the substitue Easter bunny...costume

O yeah!!

deet wrote:
> On Wed, 17 May 2006 14:10:19 GMT, Leythos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <446b1ddd.4824155@localhost>, deet says...
>>> My Norton AntiVirus 2002 has expired and is non-renewable, so if I
>>> want to continue using Norton I have to upgrade. Is there
>>> antiviral software you can recommend that doesn't take up so much
>>> harddrive space, but is as good or better than Symantecs Norton AV?

>> http://www.av-comparatives.org/
>>
>> Check the ratings of the different AV solutions here, AVG is not
>> rated high and people will recommend it.

> Thanks for letting me know about the comparatives.org site. It's
> going into my bookmarks right away.
>
> __
> Deet

Avg free from Grisoft-without a doubt.

___Sador the carpenter to Turin
Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

Ellis_Jay

Leythos

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> deet wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 May 2006 14:10:19 GMT, Leythos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> In article <446b1ddd.4824155@localhost>, deet says...
> >>
> >> http://www.av-comparatives.org/
> >>
> >> Check the ratings of the different AV solutions here, AVG is not
> >> rated high and people will recommend it.

> > Thanks for letting me know about the comparatives.org site. It's
> > going into my bookmarks right away.
> >
> > __
> > Deet

> Avg free from Grisoft-without a doubt.

Read the detection rate on the site - I've got enough Sorority residents
using AVG Free that I know it's not any good in a "Wild" environment.

--

(E-Mail Removed)
remove 999 in order to email me

Steve B.

AVG has a go price and it is for 3 years.

<deet> wrote in message news:446b1ddd.4824155@localhost...
> My Norton AntiVirus 2002 has expired and is non-renewable, so if I
> want to continue using Norton I have to upgrade. Is there antiviral
> software you can recommend that doesn't take up so much harddrive
> space, but is as good or better than Symantecs Norton AV?
>
> TIA
>
> __
> Deet

@}-}-------Rosee

"ellis_jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote news:vtWdnbdkxffRxvHZRVn-
(E-Mail Removed):

> @}-}-------Rosee wrote:
>> Not having anything Symantec is better, IMO....Ghost is the only
>> Norton or Symantec program I will use. An older version of Norton
>> Ghost at that.
>>
>> I have been using and recommend highly Kaspersky 6.0. I didn't
>> like 5.0 much, but looooove 6.0.
>>
>> I tried out Kaspersky Personal Internet Security 6.0 which has it
>> all....antivirus, antihacker, antispam, anti-everything. Normally
>> I also do not like an all-in-one program, but this one is different.
>> Try it free for thirty days and then make your decision.
>>
>> http://www.kaspersky.com
>>
>> Just make sure you uninstall the Symantec "virus" completely,
>> including the registry and delete the folder from Program
>> Files....and don't forget the "Live Update" junk either. It can be a
>> pain in the ass to remove, so good luck!....;o)

<schnippen>

> http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/U...orton-Removal-
> Tool.shtml

It doesn't get everything. I'd rather remove it manually, as I don't
trust any code that needs special uninstall code to remove shitty code.
That way I'm sure the piece of junk is removed.....;o)

@}-}-------Rosee

"ellis_jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote news:GZydnYZF9ZM_xvHZRVn-
(E-Mail Removed):

> @}-}-------Rosee wrote:

<schnippen>
>> ME? A sockpuppet for PC....BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
>>
>> This is me and has ALWAYS been me. I'm no sockpuppet.
>>
>> http://rosee.50megs.com/photo.html
>>
>> ....at the bottom, below the substitue Easter bunny...

> O yeah!!

She's a cutie. Her personality reminds me of Kelly Rippa, except
Cami is side-splitting, cheek-hurting, bust-a-gut funny....;o)

nomamasboy@hotmail.com

Deet- let me tell you..drop Norton AV and don't look back. There are
much less invasive products out there. No MacAfee isn't one of them. I
use Grisoft's AVG (its freeware to boot) and I've yet to have one virus
get through. I even periodically check with Symantec's products, no
viruses found. Can't beat something that works and is free.