Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Are cellphone alerts only available . . . .

Are cellphone alerts only available . . . .

BDB

Are cellphone alerts only available from an internet mail service such as
yahoo, gmail or msn hotmail rather than outlook express? Bill

Evan Platt

On Wed, 17 May 2006 07:47:13 -0400, "BDB" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Are cellphone alerts only available from an internet mail service such as
>yahoo, gmail or msn hotmail rather than outlook express? Bill

You could create a rule in OutHouse to send an e-mail I believe, and
have it send an e-mail to your cell phone.

Whiskers

On 2006-05-17, BDB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Are cellphone alerts only available from an internet mail service such as
> yahoo, gmail or msn hotmail rather than outlook express? Bill

'Outlook Express' is a program running on your own computer; unless you
know how to find or create a program that can send an 'alert' from your
computer to a mobile phone, you can't do that. (It is technically
possible, but if you need to ask ...)

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Trax

"BDB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Are cellphone alerts only available from an internet mail service such as
|>yahoo, gmail or msn hotmail rather than outlook express? Bill

http://www.palowireless.com/wap/servertools.asp

As Whiskers said, good luck.

--
*.. )) -::-
. .))

Vanguard

"BDB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e4f2g1$64ce$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are cellphone alerts only available from an internet mail service such
> as yahoo, gmail or msn hotmail rather than outlook express? Bill

Outlook Express is not an e-mail service. Outlook Express is a
client-side mail program.

If your current e-mail provider doesn't provide mobile alerts (or you
don't want to use it) and for some reason you want to continue using
that e-mail address rather than use another that does have the service
you want, you could define a rule in OE to forward all your mails to
another e-mail service that does provide the mobile alerts that you
want. However, obviously you would need to leave your computer on all
the time running Windows with OE left loaded and doing automated polls
for new mails. Can be done but using any e-mail client with rules as a
substitute mail server makes for a very flaky setup. Check if your
current e-mail service provides for server-side rules or forwarding so
the mails are forwarded from your mailbox as soon as they arrive and it
is handled by the mail server.

Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.

Rhonda Lea Kirk

BDB wrote:
> Are cellphone alerts only available from an internet mail service
> such as yahoo, gmail or msn hotmail rather than outlook express? Bill

You gotten some good replies, so I only want to add this:

1. You should be able to set up email alerts through your cellphone
service provider. I use T-Mobile, and that's how I did it because it
gave me plenty of control over which messages I received.

2. There's a program called TeleMessage which will give you alerts from
Outlook and a whole lot more...if you can get it to work, which I could
not. (Actually, I was trying to use the fax service, and when I couldn't
get it to send a fax for me, I removed the whole thing. So I don't know
how the other services work.) I found this program following links from
the Microsoft website, and the company is considered a "partner," if
that means anything:

http://www.telemessage.com/

IIRC, most of the service is free.

rl
--
Rhonda Lea Kirk

www.jlaforums.com, among other sites, steals usenet newsgroup posts,
and tries to mislead the public into thinking the posts come from them.
They do not. If you see this sig, or this nic, in *any* post, the post
originated in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, and jlaforums or one of the other
thieving sites has deliberately stolen and reposted it in their site
forums.