Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > newsgroup server

newsgroup server

Dangerous Dave

My ISP, Wanadoo has recently decided it will no longer support
newsgroups!!
The rest of Wanadoo, I like.
Can anyone suggest a free newsgroup server?
I am currently using news.isu.edu.tw but it is a bit temperamental.
(won't
always send posts). I'll be surprised if this post works.

I have also been using Google.co.uk but I am unable to use it through
Outlook Express - which is what I really want to do.

So, a free newsgroup server which works through Outlook Express,
please.

Gordon

Dangerous Dave wrote:

> My ISP, Wanadoo has recently decided it will no longer support
> newsgroups!!
> The rest of Wanadoo, I like.
> Can anyone suggest a free newsgroup server?
> I am currently using news.isu.edu.tw but it is a bit temperamental.
> (won't
> always send posts). I'll be surprised if this post works.
>
> I have also been using Google.co.uk but I am unable to use it through
> Outlook Express - which is what I really want to do.
>
> So, a free newsgroup server which works through Outlook Express,
> please.

news.individual.net is ALMOST free (10 Euros a year), gives EXCELLENT
service, but doesn't carry all the binary groups. A lot of regulars here
use it.

http://www.individual.net

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Rhonda Lea Kirk

Dangerous Dave wrote:

> So, a free newsgroup server which works through Outlook Express,
> please.

Someone already suggested news.individual.net, but if you want binaries,
you can get them here for a nominal cost:

http://www.x-privat.org/international.php

I would suggest to you that a free server is worth what you pay for it.

rl
--
You must be the change you wish to see
in the world. Mohandas K. Gandhi

Gordon

Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:

> I would suggest to you that a free server is worth what you pay for it.

Which is why many ISPs are doing away with them, because their customers
DON'T pay for them!

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Evan Platt

On Mon, 15 May 2006 19:06:24 +0100, Gordon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Which is why many ISPs are doing away with them, because their customers
>DON'T pay for them!

Umm yeah, you pay for your usenet access whether you 'pay' or not.
Think about it.

Mark S.

"Dangerous Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> My ISP, Wanadoo has recently decided it will no longer support
> newsgroups!!
> The rest of Wanadoo, I like.
> Can anyone suggest a free newsgroup server?
> I am currently using news.isu.edu.tw but it is a bit temperamental.
> (won't
> always send posts). I'll be surprised if this post works.
>
> I have also been using Google.co.uk but I am unable to use it through
> Outlook Express - which is what I really want to do.
>
> So, a free newsgroup server which works through Outlook Express,
> please.

I use nntp.aioe.org which is free.

Dangerous Dave

>Umm yeah, you pay for your usenet access whether you 'pay' or not.
>Think about it.

My thougts entirely, Evan.
Wanadoo have reduced my service but not reduced the payments.

Anyway thanks everyone. I gonna try individual.net and see how I get on.

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?=

Dangerous Dave posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

> My ISP, Wanadoo has recently decided it will no longer support
> newsgroups!!
> The rest of Wanadoo, I like.
> Can anyone suggest a free newsgroup server?
> I am currently using news.isu.edu.tw but it is a bit temperamental.
> (won't
> always send posts). I'll be surprised if this post works.
>
> I have also been using Google.co.uk but I am unable to use it through
> Outlook Express - which is what I really want to do.
>
> So, a free newsgroup server which works through Outlook Express,
> please.

free.teranews.net
--
Tekkie

Vanguard

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:
>

>> I would suggest to you that a free server is worth what you pay for
>> it.
>>

> Which is why many ISPs are doing away with them, because their
> customers
> DON'T pay for them!

If an ISP provided NNTP service which was included with all the services
for which you paid and then they drop that service but do not lower the
price then they have effectively increased their cost to their customer.
The eliminated the manpower, equipment, and resources needed to maintain
an NNTP server. Then they discontinued with that expense but did not
pass it on to their customer. So you lose a service rather than pay an
increase in your monthly rate. Many ISPs don't want to support
newsgroups so they dump them but do not pass the cost savings to their
customers - and, YES, you were paying for it before. When a service is
included in a contract then it does have value and that value is
included in the total cost. When the service is changed then you have
lost that value which you are STILL paying for! Raising costs or do it
more cheaply but keep the pricing the same results in the same effect:
the service costs more.

The reason why many ISPs yank the NNTP service as a likely candidate (to
lower services but keep prices the same) is that they don't specifically
cover that service in their contract of services or products agreed to
by the customer when they enlisted that provider. In most cases, the
paperwork that the customer signs is the "User Agreement" and the ISP
ends up not promising anything; i.e., you agree how you use their
service but they can change what is their "service" any time they want.
My ISP's Terms of Service policy says:

"Comcast reserves the right to determine, in its discretion, and on an
ongoing basis, the nature and extent of its facilities allocated to
support the Service, including, but not limited to, the amount of
bandwidth to be utilized and delivered in conjunction with the Service."

The "Service" is the general term for all services they provide (they
never define it) so it is also at their discretion as to what
constitutes that Service. In fact, to that end, they also state:

"Comcast may, in it sole discretion, change, add to or remove portions
of the Service (including without limitation content, functionality,
hours of availability, equipment requirements, speed, and upstream and
downstream rate limitations) at any time without notice."

What they give you is whatever *they* decide to give you. You have no
choice and no recource for arbitration or lawsuit for loss of services
that you were paying for before, are still paying for due to the lack of
a price reduction after the service is removed, and they really enjoy
"servicing" you royal.

Plato

Dangerous Dave wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a free newsgroup server?

Best to get a paid for NG service:
http://www.newscene.com/

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/