Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DLINK router download very slow

DLINK router download very slow

Trevor Livingston

Using a DLINK 524 router my download speed is about 1/4 of what it is
plugged straight into the cable modem. This is whether running
wirelessly or through and ethernet cable.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Roger Jansson

Trevor Livingston skrev:
> Using a DLINK 524 router my download speed is about 1/4 of what it is
> plugged straight into the cable modem. This is whether running
> wirelessly or through and ethernet cable.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

Those routers are not always as fast as they claim to be. If speed is
important, I suggest you get a more expensive router, preferrably a
Cisco one. Maybe a linksys.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Trevor Livingston wrote:
> Using a DLINK 524 router my download speed is about 1/4 of what it is
> plugged straight into the cable modem. This is whether running
> wirelessly or through and ethernet cable.

Sometimes updating the firmware will fix stubborn problems, but if you
can still exchange it where you bought it, I'd give that a shot. And the
guy who recommends a Cisco router apparently has more money than sense.
Linksys is better than DLink and is a division of Cisco. But I've used
no-name el cheapo routers that have worked fine for years. For home use,
there's no need to plunk down major change for an industrial duty router.

Trevor Livingston

Yeah - I figured it was simply a POS. However, it is odd for a router
to have such a large drop in speed. I've never experienced it before.
Also, I am not on a high speed connection. It's 128k and I squeeze only
about 30k out of it (when lucky). If I plug straight in, everything is
fine. Odd.

why?

On 11 May 2006 03:28:14 -0700, Trevor Livingston wrote:

>Yeah - I figured it was simply a POS. However, it is odd for a router

Ah well , what to do the the Cisco 2651 sitting here

>to have such a large drop in speed. I've never experienced it before.

It's an OTT suggestion, however using a Netgear RT314 (runs at
10Mbps/Half Duplex on the WAN port) on a 10Mbps cable connection is max
6.72Mbps. Swap that out for a Belkin F5D7230-4 and IIRC (in past posts)
it's about 8-9Mbps.

I might be interesting to try again just now.

>Also, I am not on a high speed connection. It's 128k and I squeeze only
>about 30k out of it (when lucky). If I plug straight in, everything is
>fine. Odd.

As I said to the guy at work the expensive Cisco 3750 Gb switch runs at
Gb speed, the 5 D-Link's they bought (I told then wouldn't) bought.

Me