Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > File synchronisation in both directions -possible?

File synchronisation in both directions -possible?

divoch

There is software around that will allow me to backup and then synchronise
this backup (manually or automatically) with the changing original. But, is
there software that would also facilitate synchronisation in the opposite
direction? What I have in mind is to have backup files on an external hard
disk and thus be able simply by moving the hard drive between desktop and
laptop to keep set of files, favorites and OE store in sync on both. If, for
example, I would start with identical file sets on both computers and on
the external HD, then made changes on one of the computers, synchronised
files on the HD with it, moved HD to the second PC and then synchronised
files on that PC with files on the HD. Is that feasible?
divoch

old man

Assuming your talking about data files, I use Backer
http://www.cordes-dev.com/

"divoch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:H%i8g.9571$(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is software around that will allow me to backup and then synchronise
> this backup (manually or automatically) with the changing original. But,

is
> there software that would also facilitate synchronisation in the opposite
> direction? What I have in mind is to have backup files on an external hard
> disk and thus be able simply by moving the hard drive between desktop and
> laptop to keep set of files, favorites and OE store in sync on both. If,

for
> example, I would start with identical file sets on both computers and on
> the external HD, then made changes on one of the computers, synchronised
> files on the HD with it, moved HD to the second PC and then synchronised
> files on that PC with files on the HD. Is that feasible?
> divoch

Basil Fawlty

"divoch" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:H%i8g.9571$(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is software around that will allow me to backup and then synchronise
> this backup (manually or automatically) with the changing original. But,
> is
> there software that would also facilitate synchronisation in the opposite
> direction? What I have in mind is to have backup files on an external hard
> disk and thus be able simply by moving the hard drive between desktop and
> laptop to keep set of files, favorites and OE store in sync on both. If,
> for
> example, I would start with identical file sets on both computers and on
> the external HD, then made changes on one of the computers, synchronised
> files on the HD with it, moved HD to the second PC and then synchronised
> files on that PC with files on the HD. Is that feasible?
> divoch

SyncBack ( www.syncback.com ) is very good.

divoch

"Basil Fawlty" <nospam@****exxon.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "divoch" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:H%i8g.9571$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> There is software around that will allow me to backup and then
>> synchronise
>> this backup (manually or automatically) with the changing original. But,
>> is
>> there software that would also facilitate synchronisation in the opposite
>> direction? What I have in mind is to have backup files on an external
>> hard
>> disk and thus be able simply by moving the hard drive between desktop and
>> laptop to keep set of files, favorites and OE store in sync on both. If,
>> for
>> example, I would start with identical file sets on both computers and on
>> the external HD, then made changes on one of the computers, synchronised
>> files on the HD with it, moved HD to the second PC and then synchronised
>> files on that PC with files on the HD. Is that feasible?
>> divoch
>>

> SyncBack ( www.syncback.com ) is very good.

Would SyncBack and/or Backer enable me to do what I described, i.e. keep
data files on two PC in sync via external HD that I would move from one PC
to the other and vice versa?
divoch

old man

yes