Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > "Layers" in the networking model

"Layers" in the networking model

Richard Fangnail

I've read some books about computer networking and they always talk
about the seven layers of networking. Is it important to understand
these layers?

If somebody has spent years installing networks, is it possible he
isn't familiar with these layer models?

x1134x

Richard Fangnail wrote:
> I've read some books about computer networking and they always talk
> about the seven layers of networking. Is it important to understand
> these layers?

Not really, unlesss you're going to be tested on it, or you're a
programmer working with at team.

> If somebody has spent years installing networks, is it possible he
> isn't familiar with these layer models?

Absolutely, most applications do not use all 7 layers anyway, its just
a "idealistic framework" for networking, it's not an absolute.
Technically the only layer necessary is the physical layer.

why?

On 9 May 2006 09:24:02 -0700, Richard Fangnail wrote:

>I've read some books about computer networking and they always talk
>about the seven layers of networking. Is it important to understand
>these layers?

Not really -
Maybe be aware of,
Use in the exam(s).

>If somebody has spent years installing networks, is it possible he
>isn't familiar with these layer models?

Yes, never used in day to day work except knowing the difference
between.

Layer 2 and 3 for fault finding.

Depends a lot if you are into basic small LANs or MAN/WAN stuff and what
type of device you manage / need to debug.

Layer 1 is generally all done for you, just buy the kit and matching
cables.

Layer 4,5 is generally a status message / counter / LED on some device.

Layer 6,7 is the application end of things, before it hits the wire.

Me

Flyer

"Richard Fangnail" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I've read some books about computer networking and they always talk
> about the seven layers of networking. Is it important to understand
> these layers?
>
> If somebody has spent years installing networks, is it possible he
> isn't familiar with these layer models?

depends on what he does I guess, google for OSI Layers for more info.
I've spent years doing networking, but have rarely had to resort to using
that kind of info.
But others will have different experiences.

P.

Duane Arnold

Richard Fangnail wrote:
> I've read some books about computer networking and they always talk
> about the seven layers of networking. Is it important to understand
> these layers?

I think it's helpful to understand what the FW(s)are looking at in the
layers of the OSI model.

http://www.more.net/technical/netserv/tcpip/firewalls/

Duane

Dan Evans

"Richard Fangnail" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I've read some books about computer networking and they always talk
> about the seven layers of networking. Is it important to understand
> these layers?

You don't need to understand exactly how they work, but a passing
familiarity is a good idea.

> If somebody has spent years installing networks, is it possible he
> isn't familiar with these layer models?

It's possible (normal) for a field engineer to not be able to explain
exactly how they work and which bit does what, but he would be expected to
know that the physical layer refers to cable, connections etc. If the
installer is just a cable puller, then I wouldn't expect him to know
anything - cable is cable and this bit goes there.

Dan