Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Having trouble connecting to SOME sites

Having trouble connecting to SOME sites

Jack B. Pollack

I just spent several hours cleaning up a friends computer (XP Home SP2),
tons of spyware & viruses!

The computer is running well now except some internet sites time out (also
timeout in AOL).
I can successfully ping these sites, host files are clear, temp folder
empty, temp internet folder empty.

Have run:

Norton AV
Avast
HiJackThis
AdAware
AboutBuster
CWshredder
MS Malicious software tool
XofSpy
MS Anti-spyware
AboutBuster
RootKit revealer

No un-needed startup items or processes running. MS firewall is turned off
for testing.
Reset TCP/IP

Also, AdAware, MS AntiSpyware, Avast can not connect to do an auto update.

Reinstalling OS is not an option as my friend is missing many install disks.
All previous restore points are infected.

Anybody have any other ideas???

Thanks

Plato

Jack B. Pollack wrote:

> I just spent several hours cleaning up a friends computer (XP Home SP2),
> tons of spyware & viruses!
>
> The computer is running well now except some internet sites time out (also
> timeout in AOL).
> I can successfully ping these sites, host files are clear, temp folder
> empty, temp internet folder empty.

Although one can remove viruses and spyware. Very often the damage they
cause still remains. Best bet in the future is NOT to download
viruses/spyware in the first place. Secondly, dont install viruses or
spyware if you do choose to download them.

Make sure your anti-virus is up to date. Download any file to a download
folder you create and then scan manually with your "second" backup anti
whatever app. to make sure. When installing ware, read the docs and
to see if they include spyware.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Trax

"Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>I just spent several hours cleaning up a friends computer (XP Home SP2),
|>tons of spyware & viruses!
|>
|>The computer is running well now except some internet sites time out (also
|>timeout in AOL).
|>I can successfully ping these sites, host files are clear, temp folder
|>empty, temp internet folder empty.
|>
|>Have run:
|>
|>Norton AV
|>Avast
|>HiJackThis
|>AdAware
|>AboutBuster
|>CWshredder
|>MS Malicious software tool
|>XofSpy
|>MS Anti-spyware
|>AboutBuster
|>RootKit revealer
|>
|>No un-needed startup items or processes running. MS firewall is turned off
|>for testing.
|>Reset TCP/IP
|>
|>Also, AdAware, MS AntiSpyware, Avast can not connect to do an auto update.
|>
|>Reinstalling OS is not an option as my friend is missing many install disks.
|>All previous restore points are infected.
|>
|>Anybody have any other ideas???

Might of removed too much of the system, give SFC (System File
Checker) a try http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Your on your own for missing AOL files.

--
. .))

Zoned

Check your HOSTS file in your windows folder.

Open it up in Notepad.

You can check for a rootkit with software from www.antirootkit.com

regards