Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WIN98 - Turn off Update message?

WIN98 - Turn off Update message?

Jeff Wisnia

The subject says it. How do I turn off the automatic Windows Update
message which pops up every couple of days?

The update called "Security Update For Microsoft Data Access Components
2.8 Service Pack 1 (KB911562)" is wanting to be installed.

I installed it a few weeks ago and it broke MDAC so I couldn't run the
payroll software that uses it (PayWindow). Not just me, it was reported
by others too. I uninstalled it and am OK with the payroll program now,
but I'm annoyed at that message popping up so often.

I'd like to get rid of that message and run Windows Update myself when I
get around to it.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"Life is like a sewer -- what you get out of it depends on what
you put into it."

beenthere

"Jeff Wisnia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) et...
> The subject says it. How do I turn off the automatic Windows Update
> message which pops up every couple of days?
>
> The update called "Security Update For Microsoft Data Access Components
> 2.8 Service Pack 1 (KB911562)" is wanting to be installed.
>
> I installed it a few weeks ago and it broke MDAC so I couldn't run the
> payroll software that uses it (PayWindow). Not just me, it was reported by
> others too. I uninstalled it and am OK with the payroll program now, but
> I'm annoyed at that message popping up so often.
>
> I'd like to get rid of that message and run Windows Update myself when I
> get around to it.
>
> Thanks guys,
>
> Jeff

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/win98_tips.htm#win_update
This should do it jeff.

Noel Paton

The following may also apply for Win98 (etc...)

IN Win ME, there is one more ESSENTIAL thing to note
THE 911562 PATCH FOR MDAC2.8RTM DOES NOT WORK!!!
It breaks Help & Support, amongst other things.

Best advice is upgrade to MDAC2.8SP! from here
then visit WU again for the new patch - which works properly with the SP1
files.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"Jeff Wisnia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) et...
> The subject says it. How do I turn off the automatic Windows Update
> message which pops up every couple of days?
>
> The update called "Security Update For Microsoft Data Access Components
> 2.8 Service Pack 1 (KB911562)" is wanting to be installed.
>
> I installed it a few weeks ago and it broke MDAC so I couldn't run the
> payroll software that uses it (PayWindow). Not just me, it was reported by
> others too. I uninstalled it and am OK with the payroll program now, but
> I'm annoyed at that message popping up so often.
>
> I'd like to get rid of that message and run Windows Update myself when I
> get around to it.
>
> Thanks guys,
>
> Jeff
>

> --
> Jeffry Wisnia
>
> (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
>
> "Life is like a sewer -- what you get out of it depends on what
> you put into it."

Jeff Wisnia

Noel Paton wrote:
> The following may also apply for Win98 (etc...)
>
> IN Win ME, there is one more ESSENTIAL thing to note
> THE 911562 PATCH FOR MDAC2.8RTM DOES NOT WORK!!!
> It breaks Help & Support, amongst other things.
>
> Best advice is upgrade to MDAC2.8SP! from here
>
> then visit WU again for the new patch - which works properly with the
> SP1 files.

Seems to work fine that way, thanks much!

I'd already upgraded to MDAC2.8SP1 but was fearful of installing the
911562 patch after what I'd gone through before when I did that.

On your advice I held my breath and let the 911562 patch install All
seems well, my payroll program loads and runs OK, when befor it crashed
on loading.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"Life is like a sewer -- what you get out of it depends on what
you put into it."

Noel Paton

"Jeff Wisnia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) et...
> Noel Paton wrote:
>> The following may also apply for Win98 (etc...)
>>
>> IN Win ME, there is one more ESSENTIAL thing to note
>> THE 911562 PATCH FOR MDAC2.8RTM DOES NOT WORK!!!
>> It breaks Help & Support, amongst other things.
>>
>> Best advice is upgrade to MDAC2.8SP! from here
>> then visit WU again for the new patch - which works properly with the SP1
>> files.
>>

> Seems to work fine that way, thanks much!
>
> I'd already upgraded to MDAC2.8SP1 but was fearful of installing the
> 911562 patch after what I'd gone through before when I did that.
>
> On your advice I held my breath and let the 911562 patch install All seems
> well, my payroll program loads and runs OK, when befor it crashed on
>
> Jeff

Thanks for the feedback - I'll pass it along.

Seems that MS really forgot to test this particular (2.8RTM) patch - but
I've heard nothing about an improved/fixed patch (yet).

Glad to hear everything is again working!