Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Boot up Problem

Boot up Problem

Gabriel Rapture

Hello people,

I have a 500mhz Emachine. I guess it is a Celeron.

it has worked fine for years. Starting yesterday when I turn it on, it
goes through it's checks. Then "Emachine" logo comes on the screen.
After that it goes dark for a while then the "Black background with
the "Windows XP Home" logo come on the screen.

After a few seconds it goes dark as if it is going to start loading
the icons on the desktop, and other programs.

The screen then flashes "Blue" for less than a second, and then it
goes back to the "Emachine" screen again and starts to boot up again.

It goes into a continuous loop de loop!

What is the real deal here?

Much obliged hombres!

Plato

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315341

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Gabriel Rapture spewed forth:
> Hello people,
>
> I have a 500mhz Emachine. I guess it is a Celeron.
>
> it has worked fine for years. Starting yesterday when I turn it on, it
> goes through it's checks. Then "Emachine" logo comes on the screen.
> After that it goes dark for a while then the "Black background with
> the "Windows XP Home" logo come on the screen.
>
> After a few seconds it goes dark as if it is going to start loading
> the icons on the desktop, and other programs.
>
> The screen then flashes "Blue" for less than a second, and then it
> goes back to the "Emachine" screen again and starts to boot up again.
>
> It goes into a continuous loop de loop!
>
> What is the real deal here?
>
> Much obliged hombres!

Start the computer in Safe Mode (press F8 during the POST - which is hidden
by the eMachines splash screen, so just bang away at the F8 key during the
whole startup. Then do Safe Mode when the boot menu comes up.)

Right-click on My Computer, select Properties from the menu.

On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click the Settings button.

Under System Failure, uncheck the box that says "Automatically restart".

Exit out of all the dialog boxes, then restart.

You should get a BSOD ("blue screen of death") when the error that is
causing the crash/reboot occurs. Write down EVERYTHING and post that back
here - the stop error codes are often the best source of information for
troubleshooting.

Ron Martell

Gabriel Rapture <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello people,
>
>I have a 500mhz Emachine. I guess it is a Celeron.
>
>it has worked fine for years. Starting yesterday when I turn it on, it
>goes through it's checks. Then "Emachine" logo comes on the screen.
>After that it goes dark for a while then the "Black background with
>the "Windows XP Home" logo come on the screen.
>
>After a few seconds it goes dark as if it is going to start loading
>the icons on the desktop, and other programs.
>
>The screen then flashes "Blue" for less than a second, and then it
>goes back to the "Emachine" screen again and starts to boot up again.
>
>It goes into a continuous loop de loop!
>
>What is the real deal here?
>
>Much obliged hombres!

The most likely situation is that Windows XP is encountering a "system
failure" class error condition during the startup and that you have
left the default setting to "automatically restart on system failure"
in place.

The first problem that needs to be solved is to identify the specific
error that is ocurring, and then to take whatever corrective action is
needed to fix that problem.

Turn on the computer and start tapping the F8 key rapidly just as soon
as the first information of any kind (e.g. the eMachines BIOS logo)
shows on the screen. Keep tapping until the Windows XP Startup Menu
appears. Read over all of the choices on the menu, looking for one
that reads "disable automatic restart on system failure" or words to
that effect. That is the one you want to choose, and then watch
carefully while the machine starts up.

What will likely happen is that you will receive a "Blue Screen Of
Death" STOP error message. If so then that is the information that we
are looking for. Make note of the contents of the BSOD, especially
the STOP code and all 4 parameter values plus any file or module names
mentioned in the message. Post that information back here.

If there is no "disable automatic restart on system failure" item on
the Startup Menu then choose the option to start in Safe Mode.
Hopefully that will bypass whatever is causing the error and the
machien will start up okay in Safe Mode.

If this does happen then immediately open Control Panel - System -
Advanced and click on the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery
(bottom) section. In the Startup and Recovery window click on the
checkbox for "automatically restart" to clear it and then click on
Apply and OK as needed to exit. Then you can shut down and restart
normally, which may result in a BSOD error message as described above.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Gabriel Rapture

Ok fellows thanks! I'm a little worn out now. So I will try these
things first thing in the morning when I'm mentally fresh.

I'll post the results later.

A bientot

GB
On Sat, 06 May 2006 21:59:19 GMT, Ron Martell <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Gabriel Rapture <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hello people,
>>
>>I have a 500mhz Emachine. I guess it is a Celeron.
>>
>>it has worked fine for years. Starting yesterday when I turn it on, it
>>goes through it's checks. Then "Emachine" logo comes on the screen.
>>After that it goes dark for a while then the "Black background with
>>the "Windows XP Home" logo come on the screen.
>>
>>After a few seconds it goes dark as if it is going to start loading
>>the icons on the desktop, and other programs.
>>
>>The screen then flashes "Blue" for less than a second, and then it
>>goes back to the "Emachine" screen again and starts to boot up again.
>>
>>It goes into a continuous loop de loop!
>>
>>What is the real deal here?
>>
>>Much obliged hombres!

>The most likely situation is that Windows XP is encountering a "system
>failure" class error condition during the startup and that you have
>left the default setting to "automatically restart on system failure"
>in place.
>
>The first problem that needs to be solved is to identify the specific
>error that is ocurring, and then to take whatever corrective action is
>needed to fix that problem.
>
>Turn on the computer and start tapping the F8 key rapidly just as soon
>as the first information of any kind (e.g. the eMachines BIOS logo)
>shows on the screen. Keep tapping until the Windows XP Startup Menu
>appears. Read over all of the choices on the menu, looking for one
>that reads "disable automatic restart on system failure" or words to
>that effect. That is the one you want to choose, and then watch
>carefully while the machine starts up.
>
>What will likely happen is that you will receive a "Blue Screen Of
>Death" STOP error message. If so then that is the information that we
>are looking for. Make note of the contents of the BSOD, especially
>the STOP code and all 4 parameter values plus any file or module names
>mentioned in the message. Post that information back here.
>
>If there is no "disable automatic restart on system failure" item on
>the Startup Menu then choose the option to start in Safe Mode.
>Hopefully that will bypass whatever is causing the error and the
>machien will start up okay in Safe Mode.
>
>If this does happen then immediately open Control Panel - System -
>Advanced and click on the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery
>(bottom) section. In the Startup and Recovery window click on the
>checkbox for "automatically restart" to clear it and then click on
>Apply and OK as needed to exit. Then you can shut down and restart
>normally, which may result in a BSOD error message as described above.
>
>Good luck
>
>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

Gabriel Rapture

So far fellows it doesn't seem to matter which of the options I pick
in the XP startup menu. It will always leave the XP logo screen go
dark, flash blue for a second and then return to the beginning of the
boot sequence.

Both CDROM drives were stick closed. I managed to get one of them
opening and closing normally.

The other one makes noises and attempt to open, but it is still
jammed. I don't know if that will affect the boot up process or not?

Everything looks and sounds normal on the inside of the computer. All
the plugs and switches seem to be attacked correctly and seated
properly.

I just can't get it out of that loop.

There was no option on the menu about unchecking "Automatic restart"?

Porco cane!

wrote:

>Gabriel Rapture <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hello people,
>>
>>I have a 500mhz Emachine. I guess it is a Celeron.
>>
>>it has worked fine for years. Starting yesterday when I turn it on, it
>>goes through it's checks. Then "Emachine" logo comes on the screen.
>>After that it goes dark for a while then the "Black background with
>>the "Windows XP Home" logo come on the screen.
>>
>>After a few seconds it goes dark as if it is going to start loading
>>the icons on the desktop, and other programs.
>>
>>The screen then flashes "Blue" for less than a second, and then it
>>goes back to the "Emachine" screen again and starts to boot up again.
>>
>>It goes into a continuous loop de loop!
>>
>>What is the real deal here?
>>
>>Much obliged hombres!

>The most likely situation is that Windows XP is encountering a "system
>failure" class error condition during the startup and that you have
>left the default setting to "automatically restart on system failure"
>in place.
>
>The first problem that needs to be solved is to identify the specific
>error that is ocurring, and then to take whatever corrective action is
>needed to fix that problem.
>
>Turn on the computer and start tapping the F8 key rapidly just as soon
>as the first information of any kind (e.g. the eMachines BIOS logo)
>shows on the screen. Keep tapping until the Windows XP Startup Menu
>appears. Read over all of the choices on the menu, looking for one
>that reads "disable automatic restart on system failure" or words to
>that effect. That is the one you want to choose, and then watch
>carefully while the machine starts up.
>
>What will likely happen is that you will receive a "Blue Screen Of
>Death" STOP error message. If so then that is the information that we
>are looking for. Make note of the contents of the BSOD, especially
>the STOP code and all 4 parameter values plus any file or module names
>mentioned in the message. Post that information back here.
>
>If there is no "disable automatic restart on system failure" item on
>the Startup Menu then choose the option to start in Safe Mode.
>Hopefully that will bypass whatever is causing the error and the
>machien will start up okay in Safe Mode.
>
>If this does happen then immediately open Control Panel - System -
>Advanced and click on the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery
>(bottom) section. In the Startup and Recovery window click on the
>checkbox for "automatically restart" to clear it and then click on
>Apply and OK as needed to exit. Then you can shut down and restart
>normally, which may result in a BSOD error message as described above.
>
>Good luck
>
>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

Supersano

Jesus H. Christ if someone bottom posts bottom post.

At this point I would swap the bios battery for a known good one. Then
swap the power supply with a known good one.

A 500Mhz E-machine is from around '98. If it's still got the original
power supply that's a miracle. My 333 model lasted 4 months.

The "known/ good power" test is probably failing.

On Sun, 07 May 2006 15:16:46 -0500, Gabriel Rapture wrote:

> So far fellows it doesn't seem to matter which of the options I pick
> in the XP startup menu. It will always leave the XP logo screen go
> dark, flash blue for a second and then return to the beginning of the
> boot sequence.
>
> Both CDROM drives were stick closed. I managed to get one of them
> opening and closing normally.
>
> The other one makes noises and attempt to open, but it is still
> jammed. I don't know if that will affect the boot up process or not?
>
> Everything looks and sounds normal on the inside of the computer. All
> the plugs and switches seem to be attacked correctly and seated
> properly.
>
> I just can't get it out of that loop.
>
> There was no option on the menu about unchecking "Automatic restart"?

> On Sat, 06 May 2006 21:59:19 GMT, Ron Martell <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Gabriel Rapture <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Hello people,
>>>
>>>I have a 500mhz Emachine. I guess it is a Celeron.
>>>
>>>it has worked fine for years. Starting yesterday when I turn it on, it
>>>goes through it's checks. Then "Emachine" logo comes on the screen.
>>>After that it goes dark for a while then the "Black background with
>>>the "Windows XP Home" logo come on the screen.
>>>
>>>After a few seconds it goes dark as if it is going to start loading
>>>the icons on the desktop, and other programs.

<snip>

Gabriel Rapture

Ok,

A thousand thanks.

I will look into that issue. You could be on to something.

www.aatc.com/enraptured

So mote it be

On Sun, 7 May 2006 16:36:36 -0400, Supersano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Jesus H. Christ if someone bottom posts bottom post.
>
>At this point I would swap the bios battery for a known good one. Then
>swap the power supply with a known good one.

Ron Martell

Supersano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Jesus H. Christ if someone bottom posts bottom post.
>
>At this point I would swap the bios battery for a known good one.

If it starts to boot Windows OK then the CMOS battery is *not* the
problem.

> Then
>swap the power supply with a known good one.

A bad power supply is one possible cause of this problem. However
there are a large number of other possible causes that are equally
likely, including bad RAM, bad video card, bad hard drive, bad data on
the hard drive, etc etc etc.
Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Ron Martell

Gabriel Rapture <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>So far fellows it doesn't seem to matter which of the options I pick
>in the XP startup menu. It will always leave the XP logo screen go
>dark, flash blue for a second and then return to the beginning of the
>boot sequence.
>
>Both CDROM drives were stick closed. I managed to get one of them
>opening and closing normally.
>
>The other one makes noises and attempt to open, but it is still
>jammed. I don't know if that will affect the boot up process or not?
>
>Everything looks and sounds normal on the inside of the computer. All
>the plugs and switches seem to be attacked correctly and seated
>properly.
>
>I just can't get it out of that loop.
>
>There was no option on the menu about unchecking "Automatic restart"?

Yuck.

Do you have your Windows XP installation CD? If so then your best
option at this point is to try a "Repair Install" of your Windows XP
as per the instructions at