Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Reformat , no reactivate?

Reformat , no reactivate?

Thames

Hi,
I have just had my first attempt at building a PC. I formated an old HD
and installed XP plus SP2. I sent the activation key to microsoft and
it was accepted.
Being someone who's never happy with things I decided to format and
install again. This time when I sent the key to activate it Microsoft
tells me something along the lines that it is no longer available?
What should I do!
All and any advice appreciated.
Tom

Cooper

Thames wrote:
> Hi,
> I have just had my first attempt at building a PC. I formated an old
> HD and installed XP plus SP2. I sent the activation key to microsoft
> and it was accepted.
> Being someone who's never happy with things I decided to format and
> install again. This time when I sent the key to activate it Microsoft
> tells me something along the lines that it is no longer available?
> What should I do!
> All and any advice appreciated.
> Tom

That is why they invented telephones. Ring them up.

philo

"Cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Nb27g.356908$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Thames wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have just had my first attempt at building a PC. I formated an old
>> HD and installed XP plus SP2. I sent the activation key to microsoft
>> and it was accepted.
>> Being someone who's never happy with things I decided to format and
>> install again. This time when I sent the key to activate it Microsoft
>> tells me something along the lines that it is no longer available?
>> What should I do!
>> All and any advice appreciated.
>> Tom

> That is why they invented telephones. Ring them up.

yep...
it's already activated so you need to tell Microsoft about what you did.

if ringing them up doesn't work...

your next step would be "squaring them down" <gulp>

Thames

Yes you was correct. It was an easy excersize. I dread talking to
machines giving me options of 1 to 6. But I must admit, it was pretty
painless. Cheers, Tom

Beck

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> yep...
> it's already activated so you need to tell Microsoft about what you did.
>
> if ringing them up doesn't work...
>
> your next step would be "squaring them down" <gulp>

Should not require a phonecall if he only formatted the machine.

Dan Evans

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> yep...
> it's already activated so you need to tell Microsoft about what you did.
>
> if ringing them up doesn't work...
>
> your next step would be "squaring them down" <gulp>

Yeah, but he shared his install key with his buddies. Happened to me at a
clients office - the boss shared 20 install keys with 2 friends, who shared
with 2 friends, who shared with 2 friends ...

He was well ****ed off when I got called in to sort out machines and re
install was the way to go (they'd decided to 'maintain' themselves) and keys
wouldn't work.

Dan