Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Question about NTFS

Question about NTFS

Joshua

Can a computer running 98 OS access a shared file from a computer running
Windows 2000 professional which used NTFS ?

brianz

Yes

"Joshua" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can a computer running 98 OS access a shared file from a computer running
> Windows 2000 professional which used NTFS ?

Christopher Cain

Incorrect. Since it is a shared network folder and not
located on the same system, Windows 98 can read data on
the shared folder regardless of file system.

Politician Spock

A Windows 98 computer can access a file though a share regardless of what
format the drive hosting the share uses.

--
Politician Spock
MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15

2003 Star Trek Federation. All rights reserved.

"kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:25a5d01c38dcf$8efe4100$(E-Mail Removed)...
> No,because win98 OS is FAT formatted. Except the PC with
> windows 2000 was formatted with FAT then you can access
> win2000 Professional from windows98.Basically,PCs
> formatted with fat can't access NTFS formatted PCs but
> NTFS can access win98. Ok?

Jtyc

> Basically,PCs formatted with fat can't access NTFS formatted PCs but
> NTFS can access win98. Ok?

You are incorrect.

Brianz

Kenny what the hell are you doing on this newsgroup?

--
Brian
MCP, MCSA, MCSE
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Basically,PCs formatted with fat can't access NTFS formatted PCs but
> > NTFS can access win98. Ok?

> You are incorrect.

Marko

"Kenny" is correct. File system makes no difference.
What it comes down to is:

Do the Sharing permissions allow the Windows 98 user to
connect?
Do the NTFS permissions allow the Win98 client?

If yes to both, then the folders and files are available,
regardless of file system.

dfc

well what is the finall answer y/n

Marko

Well dfc (is that acronym for Don't Friggin Care?)

The answer is YES to being able to read files and folders
on an NTFS drive if the permissions are right.

Think about this: Lots of people have connected Windows
95/98 clients in the past to NT servers. NTFS was never a
hindrance to this in the past, so why now?

brianz

Shall we go back to Joshua's original question:

Can a Win98 machine formatted with FAT access a share on a Win2k machine if
the Win2k machine is NTFS

And the answer is yes it bloody well can.

Brian

news:078301c38e21$7c4b4b00$(E-Mail Removed)...