Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > sata raid 0 hard drive

sata raid 0 hard drive

McWideGlide

I would like to back up / mirror my sata 0 drive. I know I need to buy an
additional hard drive. Do I need a special one to back up this drive or will
any hard drive of appropriate size work. Any one have a favorite drive? I
was looking at the Maxtor one touch II 300GB.This is an external HD . I have
a third drive bay in the tower available and wonder if it is practical to
get one to install internal. Most look like they would not mount in this
bay.???
thanks, Jeff

Plato

McWideGlide wrote:

Check if the backup ware you want to use will work for the type of drive
you want to install.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

PC

"McWideGlide" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:N0T5g.4952$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>I would like to back up / mirror my sata 0 drive. I know I need to buy an
>additional hard drive. Do I need a special one to back up this drive or
>will any hard drive of appropriate size work. Any one have a favorite
>drive? I was looking at the Maxtor one touch II 300GB.This is an external
>HD . I have a third drive bay in the tower available and wonder if it is
>practical to get one to install internal. Most look like they would not
>mount in this bay.???
> thanks, Jeff

Jeff

Simplest:
Buy the USB external drive and a copy of Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost.
Run the software whenever you want a backup/image point.
Downside is you have to remember to do your backups!!, upside is your image
file is unlikely to fill the external drive so you gain extra capacity for
data storage.
Brand / capacity is entirely up to you (ie do you buy a
Toyota/Nissan/Ford/Lada!!!)

Most Automatic:
Check you have a second SATA port and Raid 1 (mirroring) on your
motherboard, install a second Sata drive of the same size as your original.
Note this may require reinstallation of Windows (I've never added a drive
'after' the OS is installed, only to an already two drive setup)
Downside is no extra capacity, upside if one drive dies the other will
automatically carry on till you replace the crook drive.

I'm not to sure what your problem is with your 'spare' drive bay not being
suitable.
If you are refering to the 5.25" drive bay that CD/DVD's fit into then there
are adaptor cradles available to mount a 3.5" hard drive in a 5.25" bay.
Alternatively if you open your case there is likely a spare 3.5" bay
under/over your Floppy drive bay.

Cheers
Paul.

doS

if you have 1 harddrive you arent using raid

"McWideGlide" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:N0T5g.4952$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>I would like to back up / mirror my sata 0 drive. I know I need to buy an
>additional hard drive. Do I need a special one to back up this drive or
>will any hard drive of appropriate size work. Any one have a favorite
>drive? I was looking at the Maxtor one touch II 300GB.This is an external
>HD . I have a third drive bay in the tower available and wonder if it is
>practical to get one to install internal. Most look like they would not
>mount in this bay.???
> thanks, Jeff

Jimchip

On 2006-05-03, McWideGlide <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I would like to back up / mirror my sata 0 drive. I know I need to buy an
> additional hard drive. Do I need a special one to back up this drive or will
> any hard drive of appropriate size work. Any one have a favorite drive? I
> was looking at the Maxtor one touch II 300GB.This is an external HD . I have
> a third drive bay in the tower available and wonder if it is practical to
> get one to install internal. Most look like they would not mount in this
> bay.???
> thanks, Jeff

Internal is OK but you do need to make sure it will fit and that the power
connector and cable will reach and that your motherboard or card is
compatible.
Some very wimpy power supplies will fail faster when the extra HD starts
drawing power- It's on all the time. Externals can be on sale for non-sale
price of an internal. Externals can also be useful if you have more than one
computer but minimal/no networking.

No matter which type, you might consider the noise factor. Noisy internals
can be a bigger letdown since they are on all the time. A noisy external
can be turned off.

The backup software you use will determine how special the match has to be.
Norton Ghost is 'sorta' a standard:
http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoff...r&pvid=ghost10

Maxtor is a good brand. Seagate externals are good. My made in china 300GB
Seagate cost $.70/GB on sale. It came with Firewire and USB cables-
something else to consider.

--
Backing up data is a good idea.

Meat Plow

On Wed, 03 May 2006 00:43:25 +0000, McWideGlide wrote:

> I would like to back up / mirror my sata 0 drive. I know I need to buy an
> additional hard drive. Do I need a special one to back up this drive or
> will any hard drive of appropriate size work. Any one have a favorite
> drive? I was looking at the Maxtor one touch II 300GB.This is an external
> HD . I have a third drive bay in the tower available and wonder if it is
> practical to get one to install internal. Most look like they would not
> mount in this bay.???
> thanks, Jeff

I use a removable IDE drive.