Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do 19" CRT monitors compare to 19" LCD?

How do 19" CRT monitors compare to 19" LCD?

Zitty

news:6F55g.785$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news(E-Mail Removed) ynet.net,
> Blinky the Shark spewed forth:
>> Master No Wei wrote:
>>
>>> How would you compare a 19" CRT monitor to a 19" LCD one? Which is
>>> sharper and has higher resolution, or are they about the same?

>> Personal experience: The 19" LCD monitors I've looked at all seem to
>> be 1280x1024 max. I do that with my 17" CRT. If I moved to a larger
>> (in inches) monitor it would be so I could get higher than 1280x1024.
>> I'm not looking for a bigger representation of the same stuff; I'm
>> looking for a larger screen to get more stuff *in*. So the 19" LCDs
>> don't float my boat even though their prices are getting pretty
>> decent.

> I've seen the same limits in desktop LCD displays. I wonder why? The
> laptops at work (15.4" and 17" screens) have 1600x1200 resolution. I wish
> I could get that on my desktop. I'm with you - I don't need my data
> LARGER, I want more of it on the display. Of course, when working with
> text/numbers, it can be zoomed/scaled to assist with that.

Ever tried using a 15" laptop with a 1600x1200 display? Its almost unusable
unless you have a perfect eyesight and are prepared to sit 3" away from the
screen. A desktop display is generally used at a greater distance and going
much higher resolution than 1280x1024 on a 17" would be tricky for most
people to actually use.

Toolman Tim

In news:A065g.4741$(E-Mail Removed),
Zitty spewed forth:
> news:6F55g.785$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In news(E-Mail Removed) ynet.net,
>> Blinky the Shark spewed forth:

>>> Personal experience: The 19" LCD monitors I've looked at all seem
>>> to be 1280x1024 max. I do that with my 17" CRT. If I moved to a
>>> larger (in inches) monitor it would be so I could get higher than
>>> 1280x1024. I'm not looking for a bigger representation of the same
>>> stuff; I'm looking for a larger screen to get more stuff *in*. So
>>> the 19" LCDs don't float my boat even though their prices are
>>> getting pretty decent.

>> I've seen the same limits in desktop LCD displays. I wonder why? The
>> laptops at work (15.4" and 17" screens) have 1600x1200 resolution. I
>> wish I could get that on my desktop. I'm with you - I don't need my
>> data LARGER, I want more of it on the display. Of course, when
>> working with text/numbers, it can be zoomed/scaled to assist with
>> that.

> Ever tried using a 15" laptop with a 1600x1200 display? Its almost
> unusable unless you have a perfect eyesight and are prepared to sit
> 3" away from the screen. A desktop display is generally used at a
> greater distance and going much higher resolution than 1280x1024 on a
> 17" would be tricky for most people to actually use.

Actually, yes, I DO use the 15.4" laptop at 1600x1200. It looks great - on
the desk or in my lap. I use 1280x1024 on my 17" CRT at the office as well -
with no issues. And I don't have perfect vision. There's a lot more to
setting up a display than just the resolution. Many programs have their own
zoom functions. And Windows itself allows a wide array of settings for
individual tastes. The higher resolution provides finer detail and sharper
images. If that makes the text too small, fix the stinkin' text size.

Zitty

news:Vm65g.790$(E-Mail Removed)...
>If that makes the text too small, fix the stinkin' text size.

Doesn't that almost defeat the point of having more screen area in the first
place???

thanatoid

Master No Wei <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> How would you compare a 19" CRT monitor to a 19" LCD one?
> Which is sharper and has higher resolution, or are they
> about the same?

No LCD monitor/TV can ever have as good an image quality as a
really good CRT due to inherent differences in technology.

They are just popular and cute and make the manufacturers and
salesmen a lot of money. But all that also applies to Christina
Aguilera.

--
thanatoid-Tip® #11
No one likes the truth, even if it is someone else's.

Toolman Tim

In news:gl75g.4772$(E-Mail Removed),
Zitty spewed forth:
> news:Vm65g.790$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If that makes the text too small, fix the stinkin' text size.
>>

> Doesn't that almost defeat the point of having more screen area in
> the first place???

Not at all. Text vs. images. I can have my DTP program layout show two pages
side by side to get a view of the balance between pages.

If I do that with a low resolution (800x600 or 1024x76, I get blocks of
stuff on the screen, even if the screen is my 19" LCD. The text is blobs -
unreadable, jumbled mess.

If I do that with a high resolution (1280x124 and higher) on my display
(even the 15.4" laptop display) I get clear, neat, display of my work.

With the higher resolution, finer detail appears on the display, regardless
of the size of the display. If I want larger text, I make it larger. If I
want it smaller, I make it smaller. CLARITY is the issue, not the size. You
can't GET the clarity with the lower resolutions.

Blinky the Shark

Whiskers wrote:

> On 2006-04-30, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Master No Wei wrote:
>>
>>> How would you compare a 19" CRT monitor to a 19" LCD one? Which is
>>> sharper and has higher resolution, or are they about the same?

>> Personal experience: The 19" LCD monitors I've looked at all seem to be
>> 1280x1024 max. I do that with my 17" CRT. If I moved to a larger (in
>> inches) monitor it would be so I could get higher than 1280x1024. I'm not
>> looking for a bigger representation of the same stuff; I'm looking for a
>> larger screen to get more stuff *in*. So the 19" LCDs don't float my
>> boat even though their prices are getting pretty decent.

> LCDs can certainly manage finer resolution than that; I'm using a laptop
> with a 17" 'widescreen' 1440x900. The 'generic' Linux driver for my
> graphics card offers a maximum resolution of 1920x1200, so someone must
> think such LCDs exist.

So those LCD monitors with stated size of 1280x1040 are underrating their
specs? Or am I confusing the stated specs for the average 17" LCD and not
the average 19"?

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Toolman Tim

In news(E-Mail Removed) ynet.net,
Blinky the Shark spewed forth:
> Whiskers wrote:

>>> Personal experience: The 19" LCD monitors I've looked at all seem
>>> to be 1280x1024 max. I do that with my 17" CRT. If I moved to a
>>> larger (in inches) monitor it would be so I could get higher than
>>> 1280x1024. I'm not looking for a bigger representation of the same
>>> stuff; I'm looking for a larger screen to get more stuff *in*. So
>>> the 19" LCDs don't float my boat even though their prices are
>>> getting pretty decent.

>> LCDs can certainly manage finer resolution than that; I'm using a
>> laptop with a 17" 'widescreen' 1440x900. The 'generic' Linux driver
>> for my graphics card offers a maximum resolution of 1920x1200, so
>> someone must think such LCDs exist.

> So those LCD monitors with stated size of 1280x1040 are underrating
> their specs? Or am I confusing the stated specs for the average 17"
> LCD and not the average 19"?

If I try to set my 19" LCD to a higher resolution, it "windows" the
display - it shows at the stated max of 1280x1024, but scrolls up/down and
left/right when the cursor approaches the side of the display. So I think
that the max res stated is legit. I too wondered why the common 19"
displays have the same resolution as the 17".

Blinky the Shark

Toolman Tim wrote:

> In news(E-Mail Removed) ynet.net,
> Blinky the Shark spewed forth:
>> Whiskers wrote:

>>> LCDs can certainly manage finer resolution than that; I'm using a
>>> laptop with a 17" 'widescreen' 1440x900. The 'generic' Linux driver
>>> for my graphics card offers a maximum resolution of 1920x1200, so
>>> someone must think such LCDs exist.

>> So those LCD monitors with stated size of 1280x1040 are underrating
>> their specs? Or am I confusing the stated specs for the average 17"
>> LCD and not the average 19"?

> If I try to set my 19" LCD to a higher resolution, it "windows" the
> display - it shows at the stated max of 1280x1024, but scrolls up/down and
> left/right when the cursor approaches the side of the display. So I think
> that the max res stated is legit. I too wondered why the common 19"
> displays have the same resolution as the 17".

Not much incentive for those of us who want more *geography*.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Popcorn Lover

"Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> JANA spewed forth:
>> Soon you won't have a choice. CRT monitors have been going
>> out of production. If you have gone shopping lately, take a
>> look at the choices. Some stores don't even handle CRT
>> monitors any more.
>>

> Very true. When my CRT died, the local stores had almost no
> CRTs whatsoever.

Local stores? Who buys retail? They're all over Ebay!

--
- Popcorn Lover
If you love popcorn too, there are no popcorn groups on usenet

Toolman Tim

In news:Xns97B5977CE671CpopcornN0TSPAMCOM@216.196.97. 142,
Popcorn Lover spewed forth:
> "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>
>> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>> JANA spewed forth:
>>> Soon you won't have a choice. CRT monitors have been going
>>> out of production. If you have gone shopping lately, take a
>>> look at the choices. Some stores don't even handle CRT
>>> monitors any more.
>>>

>> Very true. When my CRT died, the local stores had almost no
>> CRTs whatsoever.
>>

> Local stores? Who buys retail? They're all over Ebay!

When the current CRT fails on a weekend at home, one doesn't always have
TIME to shop eBay (or anywhere else online...) <g>