Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do 19" CRT monitors compare to 19" LCD?

How do 19" CRT monitors compare to 19" LCD?

JANA

Have you tried any real high end LCD monitors?

The link below shows LCD monitors that can be used for any type of
professional applications. These are the level of monitor that we use in our
facilities for photo finishing and production work.

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...uct_luma.shtml

--

JANA
_____

"Leythos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mFU4g.26569$(E-Mail Removed).. .
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> How would you compare a 19" CRT monitor to a 19" LCD one? Which is
> sharper and has higher resolution, or are they about the same?

Glass screens (CRT's) are always clearer unless you buy junk. They also
don't have fuzzy font issues when you don't use them at their native
resolution like many LCD panels do.

When it comes to CAD or Graphics work I use a CRT because an LCD just
doesn't cut it for clarity.

--

(E-Mail Removed)
remove 999 in order to email me

Whiskers

On 2006-04-30, Leythos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> How would you compare a 19" CRT monitor to a 19" LCD one? Which is
>> sharper and has higher resolution, or are they about the same?

> Glass screens (CRT's) are always clearer unless you buy junk. They also
> don't have fuzzy font issues when you don't use them at their native
> resolution like many LCD panels do.
>
> When it comes to CAD or Graphics work I use a CRT because an LCD just
> doesn't cut it for clarity.

CRTs tend to have a greater range from darkest to brightest parts of the
image, which gives the impression of 'better sharpness'. However, I have
never seen a CRT that is as close to truly 'flat' as an LCD.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Whiskers

On 2006-04-30, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Master No Wei wrote:
>
>> How would you compare a 19" CRT monitor to a 19" LCD one? Which is
>> sharper and has higher resolution, or are they about the same?

> Personal experience: The 19" LCD monitors I've looked at all seem to be
> 1280x1024 max. I do that with my 17" CRT. If I moved to a larger (in
> inches) monitor it would be so I could get higher than 1280x1024. I'm not
> looking for a bigger representation of the same stuff; I'm looking for a
> larger screen to get more stuff *in*. So the 19" LCDs don't float my
> boat even though their prices are getting pretty decent.

LCDs can certainly manage finer resolution than that; I'm using a laptop
with a 17" 'widescreen' 1440x900. The 'generic' Linux driver for my
graphics card offers a maximum resolution of 1920x1200, so someone must
think such LCDs exist.

I have a Toshiba libretto with a 7.2" LCD whose native resolution is
1280x768 - so a 17" screen should be able to squeeze in more than twice as
many pixels in each direction, if the design can be scaled up.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Whiskers

On 2006-04-29, Master No Wei <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> How would you compare a 19" CRT monitor to a 19" LCD one? Which is
> sharper and has higher resolution, or are they about the same?

CRTs tend to have a wider luminance range, ie 'more contrast', so they
look a bit 'sharper' - all other things being equal, which of course they
seldom are )

The 'resolution' of a display is a seperate thing from it's physical size;
you need to consider both.

CRTs generally cope better with being set to a resolution that is lower
than the maximum they are capable of; that can be very useful if you want
a quick way to 'magnify' things, eg if one of your users has less than
perfect eyesight. LCDs told to use a lower resolution tend either to get
'blurry' or to simply make the display smaller, with a black or blank area
that isn't used at all.

The quoted size of a CRT is usually slightly larger than the actual usable
area of the screen, so a 17" LCD could have as large a display as an 18"
CRT. (The size measurement is usually diagonal, in case you didn't already
know that).

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Meat Plow

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 18:44:36 -0500, Master No Wei wrote:

> How would you compare a 19" CRT monitor to a 19" LCD one? Which is
> sharper and has higher resolution, or are they about the same?

No.

Leythos

> Have you tried any real high end LCD monitors?
>

> The link below shows LCD monitors that can be used for any type of
> professional applications. These are the level of monitor that we use in our
> facilities for photo finishing and production work.
>
> http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...uct_luma.shtml

Yes, I have, and if I take an LCD and CRT of the same quality, the CRT
is always clearer, better, etc... We have many different LCD units in
our clients locations, work with many different quality of units, even
some over $2500, and I still see the same thing in them - a medium
priced $500 CRT will present a better image than an LCD under $700. Even
some cheap $250 CRT units out perform expensive LCD units.

--

(E-Mail Removed)
remove 999 in order to email me

Leythos

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On 2006-04-30, Leythos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >> How would you compare a 19" CRT monitor to a 19" LCD one? Which is
> >> sharper and has higher resolution, or are they about the same?

> > Glass screens (CRT's) are always clearer unless you buy junk. They also
> > don't have fuzzy font issues when you don't use them at their native
> > resolution like many LCD panels do.
> >
> > When it comes to CAD or Graphics work I use a CRT because an LCD just
> > doesn't cut it for clarity.

> CRTs tend to have a greater range from darkest to brightest parts of the
> image, which gives the impression of 'better sharpness'. However, I have
> never seen a CRT that is as close to truly 'flat' as an LCD.

And Flat, truly flat, doesn't mean must to most users. CAD users don't
care if the screen is perfectly flat, neither do programmers, and
neither do graphics people - as I've done them and worked with many of
them, I can assure you that most screens (CRT) can be near flat, and
it's enough that the flatness of an LCD doesn't make up for its lack of
quality.

--

(E-Mail Removed)
remove 999 in order to email me

Toolman Tim

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
JANA spewed forth:
> Soon you won't have a choice. CRT monitors have been going out of
> production. If you have gone shopping lately, take a look at the
> choices. Some stores don't even handle CRT monitors any more.

Very true. When my CRT died, the local stores had almost no CRTs whatsoever.

Toolman Tim

In news(E-Mail Removed) ynet.net,
Blinky the Shark spewed forth:
> Master No Wei wrote:
>
>> How would you compare a 19" CRT monitor to a 19" LCD one? Which is
>> sharper and has higher resolution, or are they about the same?

> Personal experience: The 19" LCD monitors I've looked at all seem to
> be 1280x1024 max. I do that with my 17" CRT. If I moved to a larger
> (in inches) monitor it would be so I could get higher than 1280x1024.
> I'm not looking for a bigger representation of the same stuff; I'm
> looking for a larger screen to get more stuff *in*. So the 19" LCDs
> don't float my boat even though their prices are getting pretty
> decent.

I've seen the same limits in desktop LCD displays. I wonder why? The laptops
at work (15.4" and 17" screens) have 1600x1200 resolution. I wish I could
get that on my desktop. I'm with you - I don't need my data LARGER, I want
more of it on the display. Of course, when working with text/numbers, it can
be zoomed/scaled to assist with that.

Toolman Tim

In news:5m55g.27184$(E-Mail Removed),
Leythos spewed forth:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> On 2006-04-30, Leythos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>>
>>> Glass screens (CRT's) are always clearer unless you buy junk. They
>>> also don't have fuzzy font issues when you don't use them at their
>>> native resolution like many LCD panels do.
>>>
>>> When it comes to CAD or Graphics work I use a CRT because an LCD
>>> just doesn't cut it for clarity.

>> CRTs tend to have a greater range from darkest to brightest parts of
>> the image, which gives the impression of 'better sharpness'.
>> However, I have never seen a CRT that is as close to truly 'flat' as
>> an LCD.

> And Flat, truly flat, doesn't mean must to most users. CAD users don't
> care if the screen is perfectly flat, neither do programmers, and
> neither do graphics people - as I've done them and worked with many of
> them, I can assure you that most screens (CRT) can be near flat, and
> it's enough that the flatness of an LCD doesn't make up for its lack
> of quality.

I do both CAD and photo retouching on my CRTs and LCDs. Personally, I know
the lines are straight, because I drew it that way. And it will be straight
when the plotter or printer puts it on paper. So I agree - the flatness of a
screen means very little.