Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > IE7 Woes - help please!

IE7 Woes - help please!

Red

Hi All,

I've posted this in a css group, but no replies. I've found this group
most helpful in the past, so i'm repeating the post here.

The following site looks fine in FF and IE6, but the navigation menu is
all over the place in IE7. Maybe something to do with the line-height,
but i'm not sure. Can anyone help?

http://www.kards.org.uk/

Thanks,

Red.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Red:

> I've posted this in a css group, but no replies.

Not true. You got a reply, though a clueless one.

> I've found this
> group most helpful in the past, so i'm repeating the post here.

That was foolish. You should have asked yourself "why did I go wrong in
asking my question?" One obvious answer is right at the Subject line: a
childish subject that doesn't tell much about what the message is about.
Another explanation is that you included a pointless pseudo-direct URL
instead of the real one.

> The following site looks fine in FF and IE6, but the navigation menu
> is all over the place in IE7.

You aren't even now describing what the problem is. "All over the place" is
just an expression of your feelings.

> Maybe something to do with the
> line-height, but i'm not sure.

And you make wild guesses.

That's boring. Better luck next time.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

dorayme

In article <SS%Gh.31347$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Red <idontwantnostinkinspam@.yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've posted this in a css group, but no replies. I've found this group
> most helpful in the past, so i'm repeating the post here.
>
> The following site looks fine in FF and IE6, but the navigation menu is
> all over the place in IE7. Maybe something to do with the line-height,
> but i'm not sure. Can anyone help?
>
> http://www.kards.org.uk/
>

> Thanks,
>
> Red.

There is something odd as can be seen by clicking up and down for
text size even in a good browser like Safari. "Normally" there is
only small square box next to home. But no others. Then when
browser is set to smaller and smaller font (did this to see what
it was you meant - I have no IE7), I was surprised to see more
little boxes come into view and different colours too, they were
rectangles rather than square like the pink one!

Seems rather complex your css for so simple (and potentially nice
a design, needs tightening the visual elements, they are too far
apart after all your fancy pants cssing.). What is all this
relative positioning for exactly? No, don't tell me.

If you want a screenshot for Safari, am happy to oblige.

--
dorayme

Andrew

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 21:22:58 +0000, Red wrote:

> Hi All,

snip>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> The following site looks fine in FF and IE6, but the navigation menu is
> all over the place in IE7. Maybe something to do with the line-height,
> but i'm not sure. Can anyone help?
>
> http://www.kards.org.uk/

snip>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hi Red,

I have seen a simpler implementations of the navigation effect that you
are trying to achieve. For example:

http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html

Which I believe works well in IE7. Perhaps this sort of effect might be easier
to implement than the Gordian Knot of the current CSS

Andrew

--
A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Red

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> Scripsit Red:
>
>> I've posted this in a css group, but no replies.

> Not true. You got a reply, though a clueless one.

Actually if you looked properly you would have seen the reply was from
myself.

>> I've found this
>> group most helpful in the past, so i'm repeating the post here.

> That was foolish. You should have asked yourself "why did I go wrong in
> asking my question?" One obvious answer is right at the Subject line: a
> childish subject that doesn't tell much about what the message is about.
> Another explanation is that you included a pointless pseudo-direct URL
> instead of the real one.

Theres always one wise-ass that tries to be clever an rip into the
poster. What is the purpose of your reply? Make you feel big? Go away
and pester someone else.

>> The following site looks fine in FF and IE6, but the navigation menu
>> is all over the place in IE7.

> You aren't even now describing what the problem is. "All over the place"
> is just an expression of your feelings.
>
>> Maybe something to do with the
>> line-height, but i'm not sure.

> And you make wild guesses.
>
> That's boring. Better luck next time.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Red:

> Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>> Scripsit Red:
>>
>>> I've posted this in a css group, but no replies.

>> Not true. You got a reply, though a clueless one.

> Actually if you looked properly you would have seen the reply was from
> myself.

What makes you think I didn't notice that?

> Theres always one wise-ass that tries to be clever an rip into the
> poster. What is the purpose of your reply? Make you feel big?

No, to point out that you posted cluelessly, as a warning to people who
might consider spending their time in helping you. It's seldom wise to try
to help people who really resist being helped. Naturally, you might also
learn from the lesson, though that's less probable.

>> That's boring. Better luck next time.

By quoting something that you had nothing to say about, you give a signal
(of continued cluelessness).

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/