Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CD drive - vanished ?

CD drive - vanished ?

Advid

I've got an old Win ME pc that my kids use..... today I got a webcam for
them to use on it... When I tried to install the CD with driver The PC can't
see the CD drive????

The computer is set up as HD is C: and partition D: (for all Data)
then it had E: CD-RW and F: CD-RoM

NOW - all the computer sees is the CD-RoM drive - BUT its now E: (instead of
F: as it used to be )..

This must have happened recently because I use it myself to write to a CD
(using E: the CD-RW) as it was only a few days ago....

Did the kids press a wrong button and delete it ????

Question --- where has it gone - and how do I get i up and running again....

The drivers for it must be on the HD - i presume...

Any advice most welcome.....

Blinky the Shark

Advid wrote:

> I've got an old Win ME pc that my kids use..... today I got a webcam for
> them to use on it... When I tried to install the CD with driver The PC can't
> see the CD drive????

I don't know. Can it?

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

JP

"Advid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e2susl$34j$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...
> I've got an old Win ME pc that my kids use..... today I got a webcam for
> them to use on it... When I tried to install the CD with driver The PC
> can't see the CD drive????
>
> The computer is set up as HD is C: and partition D: (for all Data) then
> it had E: CD-RW and F: CD-RoM
>
> NOW - all the computer sees is the CD-RoM drive - BUT its now E: (instead
> of F: as it used to be )..
>
> This must have happened recently because I use it myself to write to a CD
> (using E: the CD-RW) as it was only a few days ago....
>
> Did the kids press a wrong button and delete it ????
>

> Question --- where has it gone - and how do I get i up and running
> again....
>
> The drivers for it must be on the HD - i presume...
>

> Any advice most welcome.....

Is it seen in device manager ? (right mouse button on 'my computer', select
properties...). Is it showing driver problem there?
If not, is it seen in bios? (whatever key you are told to press to enter
setup when you turn on computer). If not, probably hardware issue, unplug
the drive and replug, see if it's picked up then...

-Jeepers

NBN

how much memory you have on this system?

"Advid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e2susl$34j$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...
> I've got an old Win ME pc that my kids use..... today I got a webcam for
> them to use on it... When I tried to install the CD with driver The PC
> can't see the CD drive????
>
> The computer is set up as HD is C: and partition D: (for all Data) then
> it had E: CD-RW and F: CD-RoM
>
> NOW - all the computer sees is the CD-RoM drive - BUT its now E: (instead
> of F: as it used to be )..
>
> This must have happened recently because I use it myself to write to a CD
> (using E: the CD-RW) as it was only a few days ago....
>
> Did the kids press a wrong button and delete it ????
>

> Question --- where has it gone - and how do I get i up and running
> again....
>
> The drivers for it must be on the HD - i presume...
>

> Any advice most welcome.....

Upgradeable

Do all the IDE devices report properly at the initial BIOS boot up?
You should see your physical drive C and the 2 CD drives. If a CD is
missing, check your BIOS settings to ensure the missing CD drive is
not disabled.

"Given sufficient velocity anything can fit." - Mine

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:39:05 +0100, "Advid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've got an old Win ME pc that my kids use..... today I got a webcam for
>them to use on it... When I tried to install the CD with driver The PC can't
>see the CD drive????
>
>The computer is set up as HD is C: and partition D: (for all Data)
>then it had E: CD-RW and F: CD-RoM
>
>NOW - all the computer sees is the CD-RoM drive - BUT its now E: (instead of
>F: as it used to be )..
>
>This must have happened recently because I use it myself to write to a CD
>(using E: the CD-RW) as it was only a few days ago....
>
>Did the kids press a wrong button and delete it ????
>

>Question --- where has it gone - and how do I get i up and running again....
>
>The drivers for it must be on the HD - i presume...
>

>Any advice most welcome.....

Shep©

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:39:05 +0100 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With
Yang then "Advid" <(E-Mail Removed)> sent this :

>I've got an old Win ME pc that my kids use..... today I got a webcam for
>them to use on it... When I tried to install the CD with driver The PC can't
>see the CD drive????
>
>The computer is set up as HD is C: and partition D: (for all Data)
>then it had E: CD-RW and F: CD-RoM
>
>NOW - all the computer sees is the CD-RoM drive - BUT its now E: (instead of
>F: as it used to be )..
>
>This must have happened recently because I use it myself to write to a CD
>(using E: the CD-RW) as it was only a few days ago....
>
>Did the kids press a wrong button and delete it ????
>

>Question --- where has it gone - and how do I get i up and running again....
>
>The drivers for it must be on the HD - i presume...
>

>Any advice most welcome.....

Look under help for a,"System Restore" and try a point from before the
problem.

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...m?bandID=88558

GeofW

"Advid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e2susl$34j$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...
> I've got an old Win ME pc that my kids use..... today I got a webcam for
> them to use on it... When I tried to install the CD with driver The PC
> can't see the CD drive????
>
> The computer is set up as HD is C: and partition D: (for all Data) then
> it had E: CD-RW and F: CD-RoM
>
> NOW - all the computer sees is the CD-RoM drive - BUT its now E: (instead
> of F: as it used to be )..
>
> This must have happened recently because I use it myself to write to a CD
> (using E: the CD-RW) as it was only a few days ago....
>
> Did the kids press a wrong button and delete it ????
>

> Question --- where has it gone - and how do I get i up and running
> again....
>
> The drivers for it must be on the HD - i presume...
>

> Any advice most welcome.....

I had a similar problem awhile back...first cd-rom showed itself as dvd-rom,
then cd-rw disappeared.

Took both drives out and down to local shop who tested them in one of their
comps. Neither drive showed up.

Concluded both drives had fried themselves.